Things that make us go... hmmm

Nope. Nope nope nope. It looks fancy, but there’s something very “cheap” about this mounting style I just can’t seem to accept as innovative. I want to like it, I do, but just can’t.

1 Like

I think it’s just the design of the board that isn’t appealing to you.

Imagine the board was a made of metal and had high profile instead, along with some strong magnets that would prevent it from falling apart easily.

2 Likes

Solid rebuttable good sir. I’m picking up what you’re putting down. Strong magnets and a super chunky premium case for sure.

1 Like

The kiclstarter for it opened, they have a cnc high profile and low profile alu case options too
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alpacakeyboards/the-whitefox-eclipse-magnetic-gasket-mechanical-keyboard

5 Likes

Ye, to bad you interpreted it as a insult, but pixelpusher sums it up pretty good tho I have posted one I’ll mannered sentence before. :yum:

To elaborate, the stab is still under the “strike zone” of the spacebar when typing but you would still need to push on the edges in such a way that it’s not representative of regular use(provided that the keycap don’t have a lose fit from the start) to make it pop out of the stab.

4 Likes

I started noticing this on typings.gg a few months back and ever since, I’m convinced it’s intentional. Now, I know there is a list of basic words by default, but I swear at least 75% of all typing tests have these two words together.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 111147

1 Like

I never liked the idea of taking orders from a machine until just now.

2 Likes

Is Drop using AI image generators for their newsletter art now? It’s the only thing that can explain these hot dog fingers:

2 Likes

It’s a reference to the movie Everything Everywhere All At Once

5 Likes

hah! Thanks for the explanation.

confused laura dern GIF by EditingAndLayout

2 Likes

I’ll just leave this here…

7 Likes

My eyes are bleeding

3 Likes

I used incognito mode to open that link and I’m glad.

3 Likes

I think there’s a typo in that description; should have been “World’s worst keyboard…” :joy:

1 Like

Interesting concept, I think s/he should have made something a bit more stylish looking.

Without piling on, I just wonder if QMK/VIA/VIAL hasn’t done enough to really market itself. There’s a brief exchange between the designer and a GH user where the designer equates using QMK to soldering (something ordinary people don’t want to learn to do). Ignoring the fact that this seems strange for a post targeted to GH users, it does bring into light the fact that many years into QMK there’s a huge segment of keyboard users who either think it’s too hard or too useless for them. That’s even with fairly easy to use tools available the mostly work out of the box these days (VIA(L)).

I remember years ago watching a LTT video where one of the content makers there did a QMK video and mostly just came to the conclusion that it could be really useful paired with AHK. I totally understand that this person has a workflow and showed how it was useful to them but it was a real missed opportunity in advertising some of the amazing things you can do with programmable keyboards. Are there YouTubers that really show off the way they’ve programmed their keyboards? It doesn’t seem outlandish with the other sort of “skill hacking” videos I’ve seen on there.

A little bit of a meandering post, apologies, but it did occur to me while reading that GH thread that certain people are willing to go to extravagant lengths to avoid using QMK.

4 Likes

There are alternatives to GMK though, but it requires the use of different processors which use different firmware. The RP2040’s work with a firmware that has the keymap on the device as a text file. By entering into the boot mode you can usually access this file, modify it, then reload the keyboard and the changes are set.

That said, it’s not necessarily something the casual user is going to enjoy. Which is why I think things like VIA/VIAL are so important. I honestly am very grateful when a board is compatible with those tools as I’m just not super keen on cracking into QMK just to change a key mapping. Rarely do I need to exert much more control over a keyboard key where VIA/VIAL can’t handle those changes (i.e. lighting control).

I can see the connection with AHK though, that kind of makes sense. I just don’t like the idea of having an application running to enable a keyboard function.

5 Likes

What seems to be MX Super Black, used in a vending machine, from this Reddit post.

The user describes “Look like mx Blacks, but the springs are war heavier. Also look and feel super old”.

Pretty cool, makes me want to go and search for broken vending machines for overused switches.

5 Likes

My DCX WoB “c” key that I’ve barely used just had a stem split while I was streaming to Twitch. Couldn’t have picked a worse time!

4 Likes

Yikes!

What kind of switch was under there? If its one known to be in-spec Drop might be able to exchange. I have a lot of sets from this manufacturer and on one set there were some stems that didn’t get fully formed and could have cracked easily - did an exchange on those.

3 Likes