Trouble flashing QMK - No device present

I’m trying to flash QMK on my DZ60, but it isn’t letting me. It’ll say DFU Device connected in QMK toolbox, but when I try to flash it, it will say no device present. I tried reinstalling the driver, and it didn’t work. It’s pretty frustrating, the keyboard isn’t really usable unless I can flash the correct layout. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

Can you walk us through each step you take to flash the chip?
Also, where did you get the hex file and what are you using to flash?

I got the hex file from qmkeyboard cn. I plug in the keyboard, start QMK toolbox, activate bootloader mode, then it says DFU device connected, but when I click flash, I run into the issue.

In QMK Toolbox, is the corresponding micro controller and keyboard selected as well?

I have the micro controller selected, but it won’t allow me to select a keyboard from qmk.fm, since I’m loading a custom firmware file.

If you’re loading custom firmware, you need to select that with the Open button which will let you navigate to the file you have.

Yeah, that’s what I did.

Can we get a picture of the ‘terminal’ when it reads “DFU Device Connected”?

You might want to manually install the drivers

So, I don’t use qmk toolbox, but when I flash with dfu-programmer I have to erase existing firmware before flashing the new one, but I assume toolbox does this automagically.

This kind of error sounds like the chip not actually going into flash mode when you hit the reset button- normally I confirm this with: sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u4 get ID1

You might want to manually install the drivers

Also that- I did have to install the atmega32u4 driver in linux.

I’ve tried installing the drivers manually, and it didn’t work. It’s a shame I can’t get this to work.

What OS are you on?

I’m really confused why the keyboard from qmk.fm area is greyed out :thinking:

It is supported by qmk.config, and even putting your own hex file shouldn’t change that

I’m on Windows 10. I tried using a different computer, but that didn’t work either.

Try following this procedure:

But the QMK flasher has been deprecated, and replaced by QMK toolbox.

Try installing automatically, or download here: https://learn.adafruit.com/atmega32u4-breakout/download

I already tried that.

I had the same problem and after hours of trying different solutions I gave up and switched to a Linux virtual machine. I passed through the keyboard in boot loader mode and flashed the keyboard from the command line. I can provide some guidance if you want help getting one set up.