TTC Bluish White (and its weird spring)

That’s such an interesting/weird combo (half-silenced with a clickjacket) but I don’t think that would be for me either; I prefer clickbars or the Clickiez method much more.

2 Likes

They don’t sound or feel super-strange, but are indeed subtly weird.

They sound like clickies - but there’s not as much clackity to go with the clickity, replaced by muted thuds. I think it really just emphasizes the rattle of the click jacket in this case. (TTC is perfectly capable of making a less rattly jacket, but this switch didn’t get one.)

With the feel, it’s pretty normal, just with the edge taken off of bottoming out.

3 Likes

That sounds a bit like a parallel universe version of Mute Jades, if only in the subtly weird sense. After experiencing those, I realized they were not for me, and I’ll just stick with obnoxiously loud clickies.

Mission failed successfully? :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

You’ll find me up the thread talking about how I loved the Whitish Blues in my tester board but really disliked them when soldered them into something. Reporting back a year or so later, I think I was unnecessarily harsh on them. They’re still in a board that I have set aside for my daughter and when we pull it out to put on a new artisan or something we type on it a bit and the feel grows on me for sure. I think it just feels like there’s something missing when it tops out at first. In that way it’s similar to silenced Topre for sure though I didn’t feel that same feeling as acutely when I used silenced Topre.

It might have been the profile tbh. Right now it has an NK_ PBT set on it (Spellbook) though when I mounted it the first time it was MG Ghost.

2 Likes

I don’t have any experience with Topre (yet), but I think I know exactly what you mean about feeling something missing on silenced switches.

I’ve had a few switches that I’ve loved, disliked, and came back around to something approaching love.

Thinking I’ll be putting KAM Superuser on these switches when that set arrives, so kind of the middle ground in terms of profile height between MG and Cherry. Could be the height plus ABS vs PBT too?

1 Like

Thanks for the chuckles. lol

1 Like

I’m really interested in these! I might rebuild my Volcano660 and put these in there, they really sound like Topre. Is it possible to lube these? The only experience I’ve had with box switches are the Navys and Jades and I didn’t want to gunk up the click.

Lastly, does anyone have any experience with U4TXs? I would love how these compare to both U4TX’s and U4T’s (looking to rebuild a Jetfire with either)

1 Like

It’s possible to lube, no problem.

And people might say it’s the MX that come closest to Topre, but it’s still nowhere close.

3 Likes

@skepp is right; these can be lubed, and in the same fashion as a traditional MX switch. They do have a box-y shrouded stem, but the internals are the same as most other MX-compatibles.

If you’re not already aware, there are two versions of this switch that look basically the same; the Bluish White which is only dampened on the down-stroke, and the Silent Bluish White which is fully dampened. I believe they cost the same and they otherwise feel the same. There is a slight visual difference but it’s only visible from some angles; the regular one has a gold-colored spring while the fully-silent one has a silver-colored spring. There’s also the dampening collar that has silicone nubs over the top of the stem rails - that’s visible but harder to discern through the housing than the spring.

SBWs might be my overall favorite switch; I use them every day, including right now. :3

As for U4Tx switches, I like them. Opposite deal from the regular Bluish Whites, sort of - both the top and bottom are dampened, but the long-pole stem strikes the housing before the bottom dampeners fully compress - so anything beyond very light typing will produce some kind of clack, but of course only on the down-stroke - the up-stroke is fully dampened.

Comparing them to U4s, the pole definitely defeats the mush-factor, making them a lot more crisp feeling. The bump also seems ever so slightly sharper, which is a welcome update for me - reggo U4s were just a little too round for me.

Comparing them to U4Ts, the bottom dampener goes a surprisingly long way in cleaning-up the sound and feel. When I first heard about these I thought the combo of long pole and bottom dampener was kind of strange and counterproductive, but it turns out that while it doesn’t make the switch quiet, that bottom dampener really does lend a sense of refinement to the switch.

6 Likes

I think the only thing holding me back from diving deeper into the silent switch market is lack of sound. With headphones on and passively listening to something it is ok, but when I take them off (I am more aware of my thoughts and the silence is deafening :joy:) I can hear spring crunch and/or leaf crunch.

I do quite enjoy the typing feel of silent switches. I’ve tried MX Zilents and Boba U4’s but ended up selling both. Maybe the U4Tx’s and Silent Bluish Whites might be more enjoyable.

2 Likes

That’s part of what I like about the SBWs and other TTC silents so much; they aren’t so much silent as not-harsh, making little thuds. Here’s a couple recordings of them in two different keyboards:

Here’s a different TTC silent, a linear - but this is to show just how much the case / chassis affects the sound:

And, just for comparison’s sake, here’s TTC Silent Brown V2s in an aluminum integrated-plate keeb:

These are basically a lighter version of the SBW, though I do think the SBW’s springs might be higher quality.

4 Likes

Wow, they sound pretty good! How’s the overall travel in the Silent Bluish Whites? One thing I don’t like about silent switches (and long pole switches in general) is the shorter travel distance. I don’t mind it being shorter but having a switch with 3.5mm travel feels like I’m missing something.

2 Likes

They are somewhat short at 3.6mm. Took getting used to at first, but feels natural to me now.

2 Likes

I just remembered that I have a GMMK Pro, so I’ll most likely be grabbing a set of SWBs for it! Thanks again for all your help and guidance!

1 Like

finally got the rest of my TTC BW (regular) and I am loving them as a contrast to Topre OEM domes all day. running them in @Dave 's hotswap NT-980 with an FR plate.

4 Likes