Unusual Keyboard Pet Peeves

@Manofinterests yeah I started giving the HHKB way a try, but then my right hand reminded me that it wants to have less work instead of new muscle memories to beat into.

@rpiguy9907 yes that’s one more reason for WASD for me. I actually have CapsLock as Fn as well so arrows can be one-handed for non-typing focused uses (mouse in the right hand).

This reminds me of a question I’ve had for a while: does anyone with a 60-ish% map their right mods on tap to arrow keys? The bottom row ones are usually 1.25u so they’d feel a bit wide for arrow keys, and the shift is definitely wide (a big Fitt’s Law hit target!) but maybe it would work? I haven’t tried it yet.

1 Like

Those tend to be my Page Up/Down and Home/End group, I dont know if I just run a bastard layout or missed out on the HHKB game early on. I couldnt get used to the arrow keys there though.

I realize these are all first world problems but ok, here are my pet peeves:

Clicky switches than click in both directions.

Cutting all the little legs off of a set of pcb mount switches

Spending time setting up all your layers etc. just so in QMK, uploading it and realizing you forgot a something. repeat 5 times.

Waiting six months for a group buy to “arrive at the warehouse” only to have them ship it by turtle messenger halfway across the county. Oh, look, it took it three days to go from NJ to KY, three more to go from KY to AK.

Online render colors that look nothing like what arrives.

Thinking you bought all the random subsets (each containing 1 cap you want and 20 you don’t) of a keycap set so you have everything you need, waiting nine months only to discover you missed one of the keys you needed.

Trying to type on someone else’s machine and hitting Caps Lock over and over again and making a mess of whatever it was you were trying to type.

8 Likes

The Pok3r has an option for setting the right mods to arrows, I tried it, but I’m a WASD and IJKL guy (yeah, I have arrows mapped to both) so I never used them. I think for someone who really likes arrows down there, it could work.

Oh, f*ck, this will be a loooooooong reply, although I don’t find these pet peeves “unusual”. For me, they’re totally normal. :wink:

First my own pet peeves which weren’t mentioned yet:

• Group buys and Interest Checks via Google Forms
    • Even worse: Those which require a Google login for filling out that form. I hope that all GBs which do that, will badly fail due to missing participants due to bad customer pre-selection!
  • Group buys which only allows PayPal for paying and require a PayPal account.
  • Keyboards which claim to be “community-designed”, but have no support for neither QMK nor TMK. WTF? WTF have they smoked? In which community are they living?
    • And yes, I’m looking at you, Uniqey C70 [FIXUP after reply by @Zambumon:] which Massdrop claimed to be “community-designed” by @livingspeedbump, @T0mb3ry, @Photekq, @Wodan, and @Zambumon. but they only seemed to be counselors from the community, not the main developers. It’s even worse with the C70: The software is windows-only and closed-source. (See also below.)

.oO( Vortex, Varmilo, … )

Yes, and especially if it’s then closed-source and windows-only crap you can’t trust. (See also above.) And you’re entering passwords and credit card numbers with a firmware written by that software, right?

Same here, plus:

• I don’t want to have to take care that the battery of my keyboard is charged when I want to use it.
  • I don’t trust Bluetooth — too many security issues in the past.
    • And I even more don’t trust that Logitech Unifying crap which has known security issues which Logitech refuses to fix because of “backwards compatibility”. Srsly?
  • You can’t really show off colorful braided cables with wireless keyboards, right? (No, charging the battery doesn’t count. :wink:)

Wired keyboards FTW!

And along the same lines:

Offering high-end input devices wireless only. Yes, Logitech, I’m looking at you again, this time at the most ergonomic trackball I’ve ever used, the MX Ergo. Unfortunately Bluetooth/Unifying crap only, despite it comes with a very stiff USB cable for charging.

In the end I used the ball from a $90 wireless-crap-only trackball in a cheap-ish $35 Pearl.de wired trackball and am happy now. :grinning:

I kinda find 65% keyboards way more annoying: There are keys right of the Enter key without gap. Or keyboards with macro keys left of the Escape key. (Not to mention those 95% keyboards without gap between the main block and the number block.)

Oh yeah! I tested a Tina once at some meetup and really didn’t get why they have so sharp 90° edges at all. Love the Tokyo60 or the Rama U80-A for their chamfered edges! So comfy!

Even worse with hotswap sockets: I have a acrylic MiniVan plate which is unusable on the MiniVan hotswap PCBs because nearly all keys with stabs have switch support only on a single side and hence push the switch out of its socket instead of keeping it in. (And there it wasn’t even the support for multiple layouts, just too big cutouts for the stabs, maybe to support multiple types of stabs or just plain designer madness.)

It’s easy: I’m used to use my right hand for cursor movement. Using WASD with the right hand is rather awkward. :wink:

I’m probably similarly crazy on 60%, kinda mixture between what you do and what @kimslawson does:

On 60% keyboards, RCtrl is my Right key and Fn (at least with Fn being where it is in your picture, my Fn is where the flower is on your picture) is my Left key — on the primary layer. Don’t need a second Ctrl or second OS key.

Up and Down are mapped to Fn-Enter and Fn-Shift. (For some reason I at least need Enter on the primary layer. :wink: Could though live without a RShift, too. :smile: )

Sounds awkward, but was surprisingly intuitive and I got accustomed to it really quick.

Just stop thinking that Down needs to sit inbetween Right and Left. :smile:

Yeah, and even worse: Hotswap PCBs without the holes for these legs. Yes, I’m looking at you, GMMK! I surely won’t cut off legs of Zealios switches just to be able to use them with you. (Got a hotswap Rama U80-A now anyways… :wink:)

BTDT.

Worse: Happens on my own keyboard with some remote consoles (or RDP clients) which seem to do keyboard handling on their own and disregard my local OS keyboard settings. Hrrrrrng!

2 Likes

Serves you right for living in AK :wink:

Hello there,

We helped in the development of the C70, giving GMK guidance regarding its layout, case profile, and other features including the LED indicators.

I personally suggested GMK to consider not only QMK but VIA support and gave them the contact information of both MechMerlin (a QMK ambassador) and Wilba.

However, at that time, GMK was working on a configurator tool for their keypads and previously released keyboards (Q100) with a developer and understandably wanted to continue using their own firmware for the C70.

I’m very proud that I was able to help GMK with the development of the C70 with my feedback, if you are wondering.

Have a nice day.

8 Likes

As one of the few community members who really love fullsize or near-fullsize boards with a numpad, I hate that almost no new GMK sets include the dot 5. It’s always bar 5 and maybe also scoop 5. And I get that the numpad is an afterthought for most designers, but every time I’ve suggested dot 5 in an IC it goes completely ignored.

2 Likes

Hi @Zambumon ,

thanks for the explanation!

From the product (marketing) description at Massdrop I always read it like the main development of the C70 and especially the motivation for it happened on your side for the community. Reading your comment now, it sounds as if the C70 always was a GMK and not a community project, and that this “community-designed” only meant that you and the others were “those of the community” who were able to give input. :slightly_frowning_face:

So I’m sorry for the personal attack, but that’s mostly because of the obviously strongly distorted light the Massdrop marketing shine on the development situation. I fixed my initial rant to account that fact.

(And JFTR: I bought a C70 despite knowing about it’s blot of firmware—bought it used of r/mm though. Had to have one. But as you noticed, that firmware issue still makes me angry.)

2 Likes

This is a small pet peeve, but a pet peeve nonetheless - when you order a PCB or kit, can the vendor please include the default key map for all the layers?

I know the boards are programmable, but if I just want to test a board it is infuriating not to know where things are mapped. You can pretty easily find the base layer using keyboard checker, but I shouldn’t have to. Plus on more unusual layouts, you often have no idea where FN is.

7 Likes

Yes! This plus having to hunt for the key to put it into the bootloader to put new firmware

3 Likes

That pop you feel when taking off a stabilized keycap and you just know that was the wire popping out.

8 Likes

Getting lube all over my caps :grimacing: :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Lube in general is a pet peeve. Why can’t I buy smooth switches without spring crunch?

1 Like

I would rather lube my shit the way I like than have it done wrong :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The inside of my keycap stems are drowned in lube. When I was lubing my Tealios, it was my first time lubing a full set of keyswitches, so I wasn’t very careful and lube went everywhere. Better to have them ultra smooth than not smooth enough though! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

yeah and it’s just so nasty. if I don’t wash the stuff off my hands right away if I get it on them my hands get red and itchy

Knobs. I just don’t like knobs on keyboards.

7 Likes

Knobs are so satisfying :upside_down_face: