Using diamond paste to polish switches

I broke in some hyperglides like that, just by sheer actuation. They got surprisingly smooth although it did take around a month

2 Likes

Yup. There was a noticeable bump in smoothness after couple of days but it’s been going very slowly after that. A month, eh? I may press the eject button when I get tired of the old fashion polishing.

Hyperglide polished with just diamond paste came out smoother than the one polished with baking soda + PG. Not sure what to make of the result.

I think what happened was there were irregularities and diamond paste obliterated them (Off with His Head!) while baking soda, being softer abrasive, just smoothed over them so former felt clean and crisp while later felt less clean but fluffy (baking soda/toothpaste polished switches has a slight buttery/fuzzy feel that’s hard to describe).

2 Likes

Turns out defect from my sloppy cleaning habit extended all the way back to when I first started adding toothpaste to the mix. Most of the switches felt smooth but some had odd scratchy feel so I opened them up to find a circle of white dried toothpaste around the tip of stem pole. That prompted me to open up all of them. At least half of them had the ring!

I am now recleaning two 60% sets of polished switches. If you use toothpaste, make sure to soak them in warm water. I also used one of those foam-topped dental applicator to make sure any remaining toothpaste is loosened before using waterpik to watch them out. Extra fuss makes toothpaste less attractive as switch polisher.

Old-fashion polishing is still going on. It’s what 5 days? Feels smooth but rough around the edges.

2 Likes

The reason whhy I haven’t switched over to the korean dipping sauce recipe - i still have two full vials of diamond paste left. I’m just using that to smoothen my stuff up.

I don’t really mind the small scratch - after lubing they’re definitely smooth enough for me.

2 Likes

Right. There is no right way that works for everyone. Less fuss and stress is the way to go.

1 Like

First batch I cleaned up was the double polished one, first time with diamond paste then second time with toothpaste. Turns out the second batch, polished with diatoms+toothpaste+PG, had only a few switches with the problem. So the lesson here is: don’t polish with toothpaste alone.

1 Like

@donpark i am a bit confused, what is the state of the art method of your research to polish switches – diamond paste or KRS?

Both works fine but Diatoms+Toothpaste+PG mix is slightly better although difference seem to matter less if the switch is already pretty smooth (like early batches of Hyperglides).

My most recent addition was to avoid polishing with toothpaste alone because that leaves dried toothpaste in places tedious to clean.

1 Like

Thanks, so I will probably stay with diamond paste for jwk opblack

Isn’t JWK Opblack already super smooth? I doubt diamond paste can improve on that.

2 Likes

The surface seems to be smooth as in other jwk switches, but i feel there are points where they are too tight and cause friction of the stem rubbing against the top housing.
I would like to wear it off so there is a bit of space.
This will also allow for the lube to fit inside

honestly i found that a super thin layer of lube fixes the slight binding issues of opblack

3 Likes

I see. I’ve only been polishing Cherry blacks and have no idea if that’ll work but sacrificing a switch to find out sounds good. Let us know how it goes.

It’s Sunday morning and I finally got tired of polishing the old fashion way so this pink paste thing happened. I’m calling it Diamond Special. We’ll see how it turns out.

3 Likes

Now my BlackPinks are all ready for some grinding and twerking on the ground.

2 Likes

Polishing with the pink paste is pretty nice. Soothing almost. Tempted to call it Pepto Dismal.

2 Likes

Well, how well did the pink paste work?

Don’t know. Still polishing.

1 Like

yes my friend <3 good to hear :wink:

1 Like

Stopped polishing after 2 days because stem legs were thinning too much.

Notice how stem legs seem thicker? That’s top surface material (POM) re-moved to sides like wings.

Swiped my fingers over one of the legs.

If I continued polishing, legs may thin out enough to bend when pushed against contact leaf.