What are you listening to today?

Music is one of my biggest passions. I truly love all kinds. This community is so vast with all walks of life and everyones music preferences and taste are all unique. I want to know what yours is like! What is your go to artist? Guilty pleasure? Let’s chat music!

8 Likes

Punk hasn’t been my main squeeze for a few years, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the first (and only) live performance of The Decline done by NoFX since first releasing the EP-length song in 1999.

6 Likes

Great choice, watching the video now. Did not know it existed. @Deadeye

1 Like

Speaking of punk, which band is your favorite?

New album that came out today!
Monsters by The Midnight

I like a lot of different types of music but I have a soft spot for synthwave or music that sounds like it belongs in the 80s.

5 Likes

100 gecs just dropped a “new” album today actually lol
having a listening party with some friends later for it as well

1 Like

One of my favorite house and disco mixes

https://youtu.be/DbHa-pllnDU

5 Likes

That’s a very good question… the punk bands I love are for different reasons. Hope you don’t mind, but you’ve cracked open something of a Pandora’s Box because I love recommending me some music.

I love the aforementioned NoFX for their energy and content, and also for how they’ve been able to bridge some amount of visibility in the mainstream with the core tenants of punk.

If anyone infiltrated the mainstream with a more subversive message than NoFX (in my lifetime that is), it might be System of a Down - and I’ll always admire them for that in addition to the music itself.

I love the Dead Kennedys for the ground they broke, and there’s really nothing else quite like style and writing of Jello Biafra.

Starting as a punk band and ending up more in the realm of drum & bass, I’ve loved Pitchshifter since I was a kid. (Thanks, Test Drive 5!)

Maybe not punk proper so much as adjacent, but Queens of the Stone Age never fail to get me pumped (or at least my fist pumping).

Again diverging from the aesthetics of the genre, but carrying plenty of the sentiment are a couple of amazing tracks from David Sylvan / Nine Horses, Money for All and The Banality of Evil.

Last for today, but definitely not least - this guy is more an underground hip-hop icon than a punk one - but again, there’s that philosophical overlap. I can’t get enough of Aesop Rock’s lyrical complexity and fantastic beats, whether they were composed by Ian himself or any one of his regular collaborators.

3 Likes

Today: Pavement, probably my favorite band. I might listen to that new juice wrld album later but given the other posthumous rap albums lately I don’t have high hopes for it.

overall: I mostly listen to indie rock and rap, but will pretty much listen to almost anything if it’s good.

4 Likes

Im pretty invested into metal/hardcore/grind music and their adjacent subgenres, and its been a big part of my life for going on 20 years now. I’m both a producer and consumer in those scenes and have been playing music pretty consistently since probably 2003 when the myspace boom was happening. I can shoot the shit about that side of music all day but im not sure if many people in this community are into those genres lol.

3 Likes

That’s a great album. I share a like for similar music. Appreciate the link.

I’m a classically trained clarinetist, believe it or not. The world of playing in orchestras and giving lectures in the university classroom are far behind me now. However, I still have a passion for western art music, or “classical” music. In that realm, I have been listening to a lot of Max Richter.

The most played album of this year for me is Jordann’s newest EP. I can’t get enough of this vibe.

4 Likes

Nice! I also enjoy Max Richter and similar artists like Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnalds, etc.

2 Likes

great choice, @cijanzen especially to vibe out into the background

I am huge on this stuff as well, was one of my first genres i was big in. Not as much grind but i was HUGE on metalcore, Then death metal and black metal. @AllOfTheMeat whats your favorites right now? River’s of Nihil’s “Where Owls Know My Name” and Shadow of Intent’s “Melancholy” are two of my favorites atm

1 Like

Thats awesome, @pixelpusher! I’ll check it out. I got my start classically as well. But like you those days are far behind me although instruments are still regularly played.

Pavement is the shit @dwarflemur! I’ve met Stephen Malkmus quite a few times when I lived in Portland, OR. I’ve been a little disappointed with the Juice WRLD stuff that has come out. I also think he was getting a little dull to me. Check out Freddie Gibbs and The Alchemists “Alfredo”. Heres a great track! Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist - Something to Rap About (feat. Tyler, The Creator) (Visualizer) - YouTube

Let me know what you think!

1 Like

Yeah SOAD really broke a lot of ground for Nu-Metal and have obviously stood the test of time. Absolutely one of a kind band. Same with Dead Kennedys. “Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables” gets played all the time in this household, although my Fiancee doesn’t quite get it haha. Queens of the Stone age is amazing, Have you listened to Josh’s first bad Kyuss @Deadeye? The riffage is incredible. Check out one of their biggest songs Gardenia Gardenia - YouTube. Used to love Aesop. Ill have to dive back in!

1 Like

@TheeMilkmen I am speechless so far lol. Ear-rape in the best way possible lol.

oh dude that’s awesome I’ve been hoping one of these years I can catch one of the pavement reunion shows but we’ll see haha. I was never a huge juice fan, but he had some songs I liked. You don’t need to convince me on alfredo; I enjoyed that one quite a bit!

1 Like

@Manofinterests added to my queue!

1 Like