What are you playing today?

I decided to give it another go, for a few reasons:

• It got a big ol’ patch not too long ago

• I finally installed Windows 10 and can actually run it in dedicated fullscreen

• MT3 Cyber came in the mail <<< (mostly this one, probably)

It didn’t blow my mind or anything, but I’m still pleasantly surprised at how much better the experience is compared to launch day. I made it from the start of the game to the closing of Act 1 without any crashes, game-breaking bugs, or really anything significant to take away from the experience - so unlike the first time I played, I got to enjoy the story and such for its own sake, rather than focusing on de-bugging. Oh, crap this next scene has a mirror better turn my settings all the way down… Don’t have to do that anymore. It’s the little things!

I’ve seen the occasional NPC phase through a wall, pop into existence, or grind their car on a cement barrier like Tony Hawk; but for the most part my experience has been bug-free this time around - they’re the exception rather than the rule, and in respectable territory in terms of frequency.

Obligatory mentioning of bugs aside, I’m having genuine fun with it. I went for the hardest setting this time, which so far reminds me of “normal” Deus Ex. I can’t remember who said it’s “basically urban-future FarCry” but that’s a pretty good take as far as what the experience is like. Now that my machine will run the thing at non-potato settings, I’m also able to appreciate the really solid art direction the game has - turns out, when it isn’t hiding behind a 0.5 internal rendering resolution with all the shaders disabled, it looks really good.

3 Likes

Humankind!

It’s like Civilization but a slightly different flavor which I am finding quite enjoyable. For a 1.0 release, it’s pretty solid with a lot of options open for future DLC/content.

So far it plays very similarly to Civ and you definitely get that, “just one more turn” itch very quickly.

5 Likes

I’ve been interested in that one but decided to hold off for a year or two for dlc/improvements and cuz I don’t really have time right now, glad to hear it’s good

I am waiting for Palia and have updated no mans sky. The newest upodate is supposed to have alien trade posts

This looked cool. I need to get some sort of PC going so I can try out games like this.

Not going to lie… having some sort of dock-able PC is what intrigues me about the Steamdeck. I don’t want to be an earlier adopter though. Waiting to hear more about it once it comes out.

1 Like

I have been playing Luigi’s Mansion 3 with the wife. The game is more fun co-op, but at the same time one of the more frustrating co-op experiences of my life. It could very well end my marriage :joy:

2 Likes

Valheim looks good like a good game for me. Thx!

1 Like

Started playing The Ascent couch co-op with my brother. Been a long time since we’ve had a couch co-op experience, and it certainly brings back lots of fond memories. The game itself is a twin-stick shooter with some RPG elements set in a cyberpunk world. It’s been rather fun so far!

1 Like

MtG Arena is still my goto daily while shooting the shit with the lads in Discord. Perma Historic Brawl queue the best thing since putting Ulamog in the game.

Little Apex with that same group.

Been getting back into Elite:Dangerous with another semi-dedicated group. 500hrs+ in it but dropped it for a bit since last December.

Nidus Prime and Plague Star might have me dip back into WF a smidge.

1 Like

I started playing Alien: Isolation since Halloween is approaching and I picked up Crysis Remastered on STEAM while Nick (Desk Cookies co-owner) and I wait for New World to release.

1 Like

Not what I’m playing at the moment, but seemed like the most appropriate place to continue this topic @Deadeye @chono

MS DOS Games I grew up on:

• Commander Keen
  • Doom
  • The Simpsons: Bart’s House of Weirdness
3 Likes

This was my favorite game growing up.

I don’t know if this is a DOS game but:

Gizmos & Gadgets! - Wikipedia!

Was also one of my favorites.

2 Likes

I was an Apogee kid myself. Monster Bash, Cosmo, Crystal Caves, and Raptor: Call of the Shadows were some of my favorites.

2 Likes

I remember Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit! Also the Space Quest games were really good along with Day of the Tentacle and the Sam and Max games.

2 Likes

I think Day of the Tentacle is the only adventure game I’ve played-through in one long sitting.

That was… a long time ago… let’s just say I didn’t use a DOS emulator. Some moments were so memorable, though.

HA.

HA.

HA.

2 Likes

Metroid Dread. Just beat it with a clear time of 11:21, 63% of items. Challenging game but a great game. I think everyone Switch owner should have it. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

All fall to their knees before the mighty…

word_munchers_screenshot2

Word Munchers.

6 Likes

I finished Dread yesterday as well! Probably the hardest Nintendo game from the past 20 years, I can hardly believe you unlock hard mode once you finish.

To be fair, I understand why some reviewers are giving it flak for being so difficult. This isn’t exactly the kind of gaming experience I expect from Nintendo these days. But personally, I thought the checkpoint system before bosses made a nice balance of being challenging without wasting your time between attempts. The challenge makes beating it feel so much better.

2 Likes

Thank you for reminding me this game existed. Gonna play it with my son sometime in the nearest of futures.

1 Like

Regarding the difficulty, people wanted a classic Metroid game, and Nintendo delivered!

I’ve still never beaten a Metroid or Castlevania game going all the way back to my early childhood with the NES. In fact, the only game in that genre I have ever beat is Hollow Knight, and I had to follow a video guide for it.

2 Likes