What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I understand that this latest batch of the C3 stabs are a retooled V2?

I have a set on the way, and ppl are saying that it plays nicer with PBT.

1 Like

Yeah word is they redid the stems.

I love my purple Durock stabs but the damn wire pops out anytime I change keycaps. Iā€™m hopeful that the taller rear lip on the C3 stabs helps with this issue.

1 Like

I havenā€™t actually tried Durock stabs, still reluctant to try their stuff after all the drama. I am running low on C3 stabs though and donā€™t really want to buy zeal ones so maybe itā€™s time to try someā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s anecdotal, but Iā€™ve never heard of anyone having that issue with the C3 ones.

Interesting enough, didnā€™t experience any wires poping out myself with Durock.
But had some issues with C3 tolerances (and dislike slightly scratchy feeling).

I just use cherry stabs on everything and lube them with dielectric grease and teflon grease. They always seem great after that. This is one part of the hobby Iā€™ve never bothered educating myself about. So what am I missing out on?

I was in that same boat for awhile, but managed to come across some Alpacas not grossly overpriced & have been hoarding my last 2 sets of pre retooled GMK/Cherry stabs for my Rukia & Jules. So Durock & C3 are the only stabs Iā€™ve been using lately. And Iā€™d have to say Durock got some good shit (which makes the whole stealios drama even more confounding TBH, like why if you got good desirable products???). I still feel a little leary about them myself, but if you can get their products through a third party I guess itā€™s no worse than buying Spirit springs. Kinda the same situation, the maker is known to have done some shady stuff in the past but they have the goods & havenā€™t been involved in any other drama for awhile. Damned if you do, damned if you donā€™t budā€¦ :thinking:

2 Likes

I have some pre-retooled GMK stabs that Iā€™ve hoarded for when my Rama boards. I heard that using GMK inserts in C3 V1 housings are ok as well?

2 Likes

Iā€™m investing in one of these. This is a long time coming.

6 Likes

Never tried that myself yet, but I have heard the same thing!

Interestingā€¦ Iā€™m a little out of the loop about the stabs - about what time did it become apparent that something was amiss with GMKā€™s retool? Iā€™d bought a whole bag of GMK stabs a while back and I wonder if theyā€™re the lame ones - any telltale signs or issues with the new ones?

1 Like

These had been on my wishlist for a while now.

6 Likes

I came to hate mine :frowning: even after lube they feel to scratchy and I donā€™t like the weighting. Iā€™m gonna take the stems and check them in lubed and filmed gat yellows clear top housings. I tested a couple and got good results. Works out great cause the gat yellows I got are pretty scratchy to, but the combo switch seemed much smoother.

1 Like

What are you going to throw into the housings, uhmwpe stems?

Interesting. My first attempt was a fail. I tried lubing mine with PTFE powder. It was a big nope. Now I need to desolder everything and try it again with regular lube.

I dunno, Iā€™m just weary to support them after the dishonest business practices. Not buying them directly is still using them. It seems people have decided itā€™s water under the bridge, but I dunno Iā€™m just not happy to support them yet. Iā€™ve never bought sprit springs either. If other people want to Iā€™m not gonna judge, but itā€™s just not for me yet. Iā€™ve been perfectly happy with other options up to this point so I donā€™t see a reason to try.

2 Likes

U mean powder?

1 Like

Honestly I have to agree in terms of their stock feel - pretty scratchy for something meant to be super smooth. But - I bought these for the sole purpose of putting their stems into some other housing, most likely Gateron Inks - in which they are pretty fantastic.

I forgot about these cause they are never in stock. But then thanks to your comment I found some on 1Up Keyboards so I ordered them. Weā€™ll see how it works out.