What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Group buy from Homerowco

1 Like

Man they turned out nice, definitely a awesome looking switch!

Iā€™m confused, these are not the silent ones that run years ago with Serika?

yep. long delay, mostly from Covid-19. I believe it was about 8 months in all. Could be worse, my Thic Thock Marshmallow switches came in the other day. I forgot I ordered them almost 11 months ago. Lol.

A White Dots Rama cap

1 Like

SA Godspeed and GMK Laser were two of the sets that got me super interested into this hobby. Finally own a set!

8 Likes

Love that pink key.

1 Like

ThicThock V2 68g MPā€™s

Looking forward to experimenting with these progressive springs. Any suggestions?

6 Likes

Nice although I donā€™t understand how ThicThock can ship springs but not my Marshmallow switches.

3 Likes

I got them from keyspresso.

1 Like

I see. At least they learned from the past mistake of not having proxies.

1 Like

The Plaid Pad! rubbing hands

6 Likes

Somehow I havenā€™t tried any aftermarket progressive spring to date and Iā€™m very interested in do so soon. I know there have been write ups on here about them in general but I would be curious how the ThicThock spring compare to the Sprit ones so I know which to pick up. Regardless if youā€™ve tried Sprits, Iā€™m curious how you like and compare these to regular springs.

1 Like

Nice! Iā€™m still wating to receive mine. Still a quicker GB than modern model f (which Iā€™m also patiently in it to win it)

Iā€™ve really been itching to get some of these and the 62g MPs. But definitely on the fence on which to purchase. Iā€™d love to hear your feedback on these.

1 Like

15 Likes

Now just assemble and program it, and we will see how bad this layout works in practice.

8 Likes

Looking forward to seeing the finished product :smiley:

Whatā€™s your thoughts on using these for big bump tactiles like the Zealios, MX Clears, or even Box Royals? Trying to slow post bump inertia while softening bottom out ping has been my dilemma with these specific switches. Someone recently described tactility as ā€œspeed bump versus potholeā€ and Iā€™m definitely on team pothole. The reactive force push back on these might be the mod Iā€™ve been looking for.

@fatalruin @AllOfTheMeat @ajoflo

Iā€™m pretty new to springs like this myself, but Iā€™ll definitely share my impressions on them once Iā€™ve tested them in a few different types of switches. I do have some thoughts from just fidgeting with a few un-mounted combos while watching stuff, but itā€™s all very first-impression type stuff.

One thing I learned (or more accurately confirmed for myself) while playing around with individual switches last night is that indeed, progressive springs do have polarity - at least this kind does. Not only does one end have tighter coiling, but the feeling is indeed different depending which end is facing up.

@ajoflo Something else I noticed about this polarity is that putting the tight coil at the bottom (which somoene recently told me is the mfr recommended way) produces more or less the type of curve the marketing describes; weaker at first, heavier towards the bottom. Itā€™s not as dramatic as I expected, but they definitely feel different from similarly weighted linear springs. Anyway the point that I think will interest you is this - putting them in ā€œupside downā€ seems to facilitate a top-bump ā€œnegativeā€ tactility thatā€™s prone to bottoming-out, whereas the ā€œrightā€ way theyā€™re light-ish at the top with more cushion at the bottom.

I tried one combo that reminded me a lot of that seemingly ā€œmulti-stageā€ cushioning the Halo U4 has, but Iā€™ll have to re-discover that as I was paying a little more attention to party parrot videos at that moment. (Iā€™d just returned from visiting a family member who recently got an eclectus parrot.)

I have some questions for any spring experts out there. So I understand that linear springs have a mild increase in resistance from top to bottom, with longer ā€œpre-loadedā€ ones nearly eliminating that. I generally understand that ā€œprogressiveā€ indicates a notable increase in resistance from top to bottom - but Iā€™m a little less clear about this:

Is a spring ā€œprogressiveā€ if itā€™s just a much more steep, straight-line increase of resistance compared to a linear, or does the curve need to more closely resemble an exponential one?

Are Halo True springs, which appear to achieve their steep increase in resistance through a shorter if otherwise symmetrical spring, in the same category of springs as the ThicThocks which are on the long side of normal and have distinct sections of coiling? Are they two different approaches towards a similar goal, or are they two totally different types of spring?

The rabbit-hole only deepensā€¦

6 Likes