What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Got this thing from Japan to harvest the nice Alps caps.

New keyboard will look something like this by the time I’m done.

My inspiration for the paint job is the Japanese Zero from WWII. However, I am concerned that it might come across as distasteful to design something from the Japanese Empire. Thoughts?

14 Likes

Absolutely awesome ALPS caps set, I see they are the OG super thick doubleshot ABS ones too :ok_hand:! As far the case design & inspiration I don’t personally see anything wrong with it TBH, considering the caps are Japanese sublegened. Anyways, good luck with the build & be sure to post pics when you get it done. It looks like it is gonna be a super unique & beautiful build bud!

3 Likes

Got my ePBT Classic Retro Cyrillic set in today! Overall I’m very happy with the set, it looks like the only warped cap I got is the 7u spacebar. Which is just slightly warped & should be fixable, no biggie if not too cause I got a few straight beige ePBT 7u spaces from my OG sets anyways (got one on the E6.5 in the pic actually).

I also got an Evil Box acrylic artisan case in this past sat so I finally start storing my artisan in something I can display them in. Although I’m gonna need a couple or few more cases to display my whole artisan collection, but happy with this start!

6 Likes

img-1

Dude! Wow. That’s pretty amazing.

4 Likes

Thanks! Can’t remember what the colorway name was for that Orochi. I’ll find out & post back in a little bit bud!

Edit: @ajoflo It’s a Foxdie Orochi, there is also a Foxdie Shishi. Not sure how rare they are, but I don’t think they’re exceptionally rare. I got this for $80 2nd hand which is just $5 or $10 over raffle prices at the time.

2 Likes

This is awesome! I recently used harvested Alps caps from another Toshiba to make this:

7 Likes

That’s pretty rad! It reminds me of the old (and similarly wee) “hot dog” skateboards.

2 Likes

Kailh Polias

I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to see the second half of my order from months ago - but hey! They made it after all.

These are in my collection mostly as a curiosity - I’m not convinced they’ll be around much longer, given they appear to be un-authorized Halo Clear re-colors. They have a lighter spring that brings out a little more of the stem’s character, but as far as I can tell they’re otherwise identical apart from the color.

I’m on the fence about whether to leave these be or put the stems my red YOKs to make some Poli Pandas…

4 Likes

Dang dude, a 40% alps build is kinda next on my keyboard to do… what was the process like?

2 Likes

Those are super-lightweight switches for a steno keyboard.

6 Likes

Took a while but has arrived!
I just build it without a pcb switches and put it back in it’s box, Shogoki switches waiting room now and I can build this :smiley:

12 Likes

There are three mainstream 40% PCBs that support Alps - The Laplace, the JD40, and the Daisy. Laplace is perpetually out of stock, and JD40 and Daisy have limited layout options so it is hard to find 40% Alps caps for them with correct-ish legends.

So I had this PCB made with a modified Laplace layout, ordered an Alps plate from Sendcutsend, and put it together.

It was not too hard, but apparently if you order a regular steel plate to save money over a stainless steel plate they rust pretty fast. That rust formed within 3 months of receiving it.

Someone should make an Equinox layout Alps board. That would make finding 40% Alps caps for it very easy.

1 Like

Steno you say? Go on …

3 Likes

Well, I made one a few years ago: Steno Keyboard | Hackaday.io
But now I want to re-make it with low-profile switches that have as low actuation force as possible (because when chording, it adds up quickly). The PCB for it arrives tomorrow, I will post an update on that hackadayio project page.

4 Likes

Going to pick some stuff up from the post office today. Got some 74g springs for my blueberries along with a nice metal switch opener and one of the novelkeys big pale blue switches. I’m hoping the 6g difference in spring weight is noticeable. I love my blueberries but they are just a little bit too heavy for long term usage. If these don’t work I’ll have to source some 70g springs. I’ve heard going lower than 70 is not advisable otherwise id just buy some 67g and call it a day

4 Likes

Man, an alps board with that layout would be killer. Thanks for the info! Plenty to get me started.

2 Likes

Doorbell just rang

8 Likes

Nice little stands for my boards :blush:

10 Likes

I received a HuB set yesterday and put it on my Planck immediately.

Here’s a color comparison for anyone who might be interested; “Ende” is GMK WoB, “Esc” is thekeydotcompany’s dark Candy Bar set (first round). Desk mat is Rama Canvas for reference.

6 Likes

I got my IBM Model M5-2 today. It’s been a long while since I last typed on one of these bad boys, and the trackball works great too!

10 Likes