What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

first set of gmk keycaps, i think i kinda get the obsession. for the moment i’m enjoying the feel and sound over what i had with the various mt3 keycaps that i’ve played with

13 Likes

WOW those colors pop very vividly in that pic! What board are you putting them on?

In the Rukia with lilac top, but I am still waiting for it, the shipping is supposedly for February.

3 Likes

Just to slam my last two posts here together, I set up my desk a little better and took some more potato photos of stems against the new mat:

Penguin

Boba

Halo Clear

Mat’s doing a nice job of creating a nice even surface, now I just gotta work on lighting and maybe a better camera setup than “literally just my phone and its normal camera app”

8 Likes

Combining my last few mail days:

A couple of WT60-Ds and case foams from mekanisk; gateron yellows, penguins, and 205g0 from kinetic labs; and a bunch of replacement hardware for my sirius.

And not quite keyboard related, I managed to get a(nother) nice pen to go with some of the black & brass boards I have :pirate_flag:

14 Likes

pics still do a great job emphasizing the differences in the tactile legs, I didn’t realize how much of a difference the way the tip of the leg ends impacts the tactility!

1 Like

Now I just need them FFF-switches to get here so I can start handwire.

8 Likes

Your summary review aligned with my experience perfectly. The noticeable spring/leaf noise has dissipated after lubing, so I’m inducing that it was indeed the spring.

One other thing I noticed (and this is mentioned on the product page, I think), the bump producing the tactical event is so pronounced that it hangs up the 63.5g’s slightly on the return (pre-lubed). Post-lubing (205g0, incl. legs) this goes aways and they’re pretty nice.

I have them in a smaller acrylic board with MT3, and they sound quite deep and thocky to me (post lube ergo propter hoc).

PS. I dig this colorway!

4 Likes

@iaman @sarvopari do you think the 62g Giant series springs with its extra preload would make it over a lubed bump?

1 Like

The lubed return feels smooth enough that, by extrapolation, I would be optimistic about the 62g Giants :slight_smile:

Nb., however, I put these in an ortho, so I haven’t tried them with >1u keys and can’t speak to how larger keys may change the movement.

2 Likes

Got a helper thingy to hold the board while I solder boards.
Going to be doing my first solder board since I finally got a hold of my grail and it gave me enough motivation to learn.

13 Likes

It was a big mail day, from left to right and top to bottom:

• MT3 Susuwatari: Base kit joined the original drop but only reach my hand today
  • GMK Oblivion V2: Hagoromo Cadet Alphas & Alternate Function Colors
  • GMK Pulse: Micons
17 Likes

Well, looks like the MelGeek Ember tactiles arrived today so I guess I know what I’ll be taking apart this afternoon.

9 Likes

Update: took one of these apart to get some photos

Stem

Spring

Top Housing

Bottom Housing

13 Likes

I got more parts for the 5 degree flex mod I’m working on. Multiple sizes of silicon O-rings for a little experimentation and a carbon fiber plate from kbdfans.

I’ve done a little bit of comparing the flexibility of this plate to a spare POM full plate I had lying around. Even though the POM can bend more if you start trying to fold it in half, pressing an individual key on the carbon fiber plate seems to get more flex thanks to how flimsy it is. I remember seeing this plate on their website a few years ago and wondered why anyone would get something so insubstantial but I guess they were just a bit ahead of the curve on this one :smile:

10 Likes

Potato pic, but I got KBD8X MkII in today & I got super lucky with it! This one came spotless, top & bottom match perfectly, no anno lines, splots, or patches. In fact the only thing I could find after looking it over was 2 small scratches on the inside part of the weight. I know KBDfans is very hit or miss on their QC so I’m super happy with this!

12 Likes

Mail day today! Everything arrived early which is wild rn

Picked up some bobas for an upcoming build, as well as some POM caps. Currently testing out both on a planck and I’m loving them.

11 Likes

Bought a GMMK TKL.
Don’t really know why.

8 Likes

QAZ!

8 Likes

Such a neat little board. Looking forward to Rain’s ortho version, Yasui.

2 Likes