What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Wow, that’s teeny! Had no idea it was a thing

1 Like

I’m getting a proto Monday, I’ll make sure to post it!

1 Like

What color is that? I have been looking for a KBD8x in deep blue, but it seems like that is a real popular one :frowning:

1 Like

No pic. However I got a POM plate cut for my Brutal60 from P3D.

In a top mount, POM doesn’t seem to make as big of a difference as it did in my tray mount. I guess that is to be expected. The feel is not flex-y but it is a little more bounce-y than FR4.

It’s the black color, that’s why I said the pic is a potato LOL (it’s the color coming off the TV making it look different I think)! Yeah they didn’t have any deep blue in stock a couple weeks ago when I bought mine & still don’t. They’re down to black, grey, & e-yellow in alum, then clear PC & ink black PC now.

1 Like

You going to go regular top mount, burger, or gummy worm/gasket mount? The KBD8x is on my radar now cause of all the options. :smile:

2 Likes

Right now I’m gonna start off with just regular top mount (maybe with felt stab washers) cause I’m using the PC plate. Although I do intend to give a proper burger mount & the gummy worm mount a try on it at some point. I need to get small o-rings for burger which interests me more, then find out what size & firmness gasket is best for the gummy worm. I don’t have a lot of hope for gummy worm though as it really don’t change much switching from top mount to gummy worm on my E6.5 & that was designed for it.

About the 8X itself, I haven’t built or used it yet but would recommend just based on the price & availability. Also it’s technically an ai03 board so you really can’t go wrong there! I’ll let you guys know it goes once built to help you decide. Probably gonna build it tomorrow morning.

4 Likes

I’m actually re-building my Kbd8x soon. This time with brass plate, and Kiwi’s. And I ordered some 1/16” felt wool from Amazon that I intend to use for dampening.

2 Likes

So, having never soldered anything, I rashly purchased a Ferris kit (which involves soldering diodes, a USB-C port, and a microcontroller). Hopefully this little guy makes for some good practice beforehand.

9 Likes

That knob looks good

2 Likes

“Knob Knob”.
“Who’s there?”
“Clicky.”
“Clicky who?”
“Clicky Rubberdome!”
“Fuck off!”

11 Likes

I got mine (Grey) in December, both case and weight are flawless.
Ano is perfect and spotless, top and bottom match, no scratches, weight is also perfect.
Really good QC job, super happy as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done a gummyworm with PC plate, will try burger mount as well.
Will also replace stock Kbdfans case foam with a thinner one, hoping to get a little flex (stock case foam is really thick…)

1 Like

Awesome to hear you got a good one too! Maybe they stepped their game up on QC or just make sure the 8x MkIIs are really good since that is pretty much their flagship board? Yeah, I’d go for a thinner foam or no foam if you’re using a PC plate. It’ll definitely give you a good bit more flex. I opted out of KBDfans foam cause I heard it was super thick myself.

2 Likes

Well, I’ve ordered mine during the GB sometime in the summer, before I was aware of the thickness.
It’s still possible to build one with gummyworm and stock case foam, it’s just a really tight fit and therefore compressed insides, eliminating all flex.
Not sure about the sound without any case foam, but will try both (thin foam and no foam) and report back.
I’m also curious about the burger vs gummyworm mount difference…
But yeah, all in all, I’m happy with my Kbd8x MKII, it’s a good board for the price.

5 Likes

Thanks for the awesome and incredibly helpful review.

Do you know if these switches are similar to the Dragonfruit switches that are coming from TKC? Also 63.5 G Ergo-Clear style.

I have some Penguins on the way, and it might be questionable to buy both.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Hakko FX-951 soldering station. Figured it was about time I stopped relying on hotswaps and learned to solder to open up my options.

21 Likes

Congratz!
Soldering is not that hard, but I do recommend you do some practicing first.
Desoldering, on the other hand… For a switch or two, get a decent pump (Engineer SS 02 Solder Sucker), but for desoldering whole keyboards you’ll want to invest in a desoldering gun.
Mine is on the way :wink:

5 Likes

Fwiw I got one in recently too and it was also in perfect shape. What annoyed me was I ordered a pad mk ii a while ago and I swear I picked the same grey for both of them but they are definitely not the same shade

1 Like