What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Apparently they are working on a V2 version of this puller to address some of these issues, so I suppose we’ll see sometime later this year.

1 Like

damn gonna have to get this one

Not a keyboard but I guess I should have checked the dimensions on this bad boy, was expecting something that like might fit in my pocket if it had to

7 Likes

Specs?

1 Like

Looks like its cargo pants time if you’re gonna want to pocket that

2 Likes

It’s a noctigon k1

I think it’s gonna have to be relegated to backpack only lol although maybe I should get some cargo shorts :thinking:

Did you already dive into the abyss that is buying Zebralights?

1 Like

nah haha I have 2 noctigons (this thrower, and a super warm one that’s nice at night for like camping and such), an astrolux general purpose one I keep in my bag in case I need to fix a flat or somethting at night on my bike, and a sofirn flooder to dump a lot of light that is useful for like home improvments and such. My requirements were that they all have the anduril firmware that keeps the interface the same and USB-C charging to make keeping them charged easy. These are probably all the flashlights I’ll ever need except maybe a headlamp for a 24 hour bike ride I’m supposed to do this summer (vaccines permitting)

1 Like

Got a breadboard and turned on an LED with Python. I feel like magneto

5 Likes

A large bottle of Diatoms for use as switch polishing abrasive. This was the smallest I could find. Normal size bag could’ve polished all the switches human civilization could muster.

A dab of the stuff mixed with PG. I found diatom powder difficult to work with. While edible, it’s very fine and goes on everything. I did the mix outside but my eyes started irritating after awhile. So I made a short job of it and ended up with viscosity tad too thick for polishing.

The mix didn’t stick well so I had to smother it onto a switch. I think the original suggestion of mixing with toothpaste is spot on. Reassembled, the switch felt very gritty, like filled with sand and distinct from diamond paste. Made loud squeaking noise as well. At least the polishing part looks promising.

7 Likes

Landed a NOS IBM 5150 Keyboard with brown Alps. Upon first inspection they live up to the hype. Now to decide which board they’re going to live in…

9 Likes

Pretty cool to see you trying a natural alternative! heres hoping this works out.

1 Like

what is this??? it looks amazing

2 Likes

caps look pretty nice as well. looks like a 1.75u r-shift, are those pretty rare for Alps?

For the perfect puller, the search continues…

1 Like

I’m not totally sure but I would venture to say yes. The quality of these keycaps is very good. If they layout wasn’t so quirky and if it had a right CTRL key I’d consider preserving it so I could use the keycaps.

1 Like

Not too rare actually. They’re common enough to find them when you need them.

2 Likes

Something else I’m just realizing is that it has these very small linear (Alps?) switches for the function keys and arrow keys. Anyone able to ID these? Pretty smooth actually.

4 Likes

They’re ALPS SKCL Compact switches. The Videowriter I got my batch of SKCM browns from has them on the uppermost row also. They are pretty smooth, unfortunately I do not know of any modern PCBs that they can be used on.

3 Likes