What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Purple alu case which came with a keyboard sleeve for free.

8 Likes

Mine haven’t come in yet, but from what I’ve been reading the lube is hit-and-miss.

HipyoTech was super impressed with the first couple he tried, and then he got a gummy one. I think he later noted he considered the switches generally great, but advised buying more than you need because there will be overlubed ones.

Another fellow whose name I forget had a similar experience; I think as a joke he pulled out a back massager that vibrates up and down super fast, saying “well maybe breaking it in will help” - the funny part is that it did help. I guess the wiggles pushed some of the grease out of the way. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This came in like 2 days ago :blush: :blush:

22 Likes

Hey, a few months late is way better than never. Been waiting on these for a hot minute - glad to finally see them!

A pair of cast resin cases; I ordered them from
Drop, but KBDFans has them, too.

I’ve planned from the beginning for these to be built as a pair, and over time the themes have fallen into place.

The pearl one will get:

• Pearl Boba-housing switches
  • POM plate
  • Clear Durock stabs

The black one will get:

• Black Boba-housing switches
  • Carbon fiber plate
  • Haven’t decided if this one is getting smoky Durock stabs or Cherry stabs yet

I’m using Cannon Keys’ AN-C v2 PCB’s for both. Also haven’t decided whether or not I’ll be making one hot-swap, but I’m leaning towards “no” on that one. Also considering the burger mod for one or both; that will depend on how it feels.

Edit: All manner of black/white themes might be appropriate; yin/yang, etc. - “ebony and ivory” came to my mind, which made me think of Dante’s magic guns from Devil May Cry, which in turn made me think of Alucard’s even more ridiculous guns from Hellsing:

Perfect.

11 Likes

Once the build is complete, can you post a sound test?
I’m very interested in what those resin case sound like…been thinking of getting one myself.

2 Likes

Most certainly; I’ll be doing full build logs on the pair, including sound tests. I forgot to mention that I’ll be trying some version of the Holee stab mod on both, as well.

1 Like

Where did you get this one from?

That looks very nice. Where did you get it?

AliExpress when they had a discount on it.

1 Like

Got the NIB Cherry G80-1800HEU I bought in today, super happy with it! A NIB OG Cherry board with OG doubleshots has been a grail board for me ever since I got into vintage MKBs. SO glad I was able to grab this! Came with some awesome documentation too!
Edit: Just tested the board & with a Soarer’s convertor it has to be set to AT for the scan codes to match up with the nav keys (Insert, Delete, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn, & the arrow cluster) in Win10. Kinda weird as you’d figure the PC setting would be the one to use, but with that nav keys activate numpad keys… :thinking: Oh well it works perfectly & that’s all that really matter to me!

Also got my Tim Curry RAWR! In from Destroyer caps! This sculpt has really grown on me TBH. Also can we take a sec to appreciate the awesome packaging & extra stuff they send with their caps! Highly recommend trying to grab some if you collect artisans. The caps are very, very well made!

22 Likes

This board is stunning. It was an amazing find. I love those keycaps.

1 Like

Man, that 1800 is so clean, i live it !

2 Likes

KAT Lich came in, along with my UwU deskmat!

Lich turned out pretty amazing, I like my mat too, but it came out a little more grey than black like I was wanting. It would be a great pairing for SA Bliss if you have it.

9 Likes

Looks great! Is this your first KAT set? If so, how do you like it so far?

First KAT set, no joke, I think it has increased my average wpm by about 10… Not really sure why at this point.

My hunch is that maybe the higher profile compared to Cherry forces me to touch type more… that or the sound good be providing some additional feedback.

The sound is really clack-y, it is a nice sound but it is a little louder than I would prefer. I don’t think my co-workers are going to appreciate it when I go back :stuck_out_tongue:

I definitely prefer it to my wife’s SA set. Not sure I would get another at this point, but I like having one set in this profile. Only time will tell.

2 Likes

Looks great!

If I have one complaint about KAT it would be the font of the centered legends (though I like SA, not sure how to explain that) and Lich skirts this by using the lower-case. It was a long wait but you got it! Hopefully Keyreative will really start cranking through their backlog.

Seems like all the keycap manufactures are having issues these days. It would be nice if they could all get up to speed, since having some competition would be a good thing!

The issues all seem to lie with PBT and dye sub issues. Sadly, outside of GMK and SP most sets are PBT dye sub. PBT double shot also has issues with warpage, cracked stems, etc.

The only manufacturers to produce super high quality PBT dye sub are BSP, CRP, and Signature Plastics (and SP DSA/DCS caps are comparatively thin… but the legends are always great).

I guess if quality control were that easy, everyone would make great sets…

1 Like

IMO, Ducky’s PBT sets are great quality - but unfortunately they only fit bog-standard layouts - and of course, not many folks get excited about OEM profile.

They’re almost certainly a blend - they look and feel quite different to other PBT caps I’ve used; less dry, if that make sense.

I wonder if Nylon couldn’t be used. We’ve seen endless recolors of Nylon switches. Let’s get some keycaps made out of it.

2 Likes