What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

In the mail today is a Johnny five sticker.

I recently received a “free” pool vacuum due to a few many factory mistakes and delays on my pool. My wife is not normally a “nerdy” person like me. But we had a 10 min conversation on what we should name it debating on “Optimus Grime” vs “Johnny 5” (Short Circuit: Short Circuit (1986) - IMDb) both of which were her suggestions. (it was one of those moments I thought wow, I am a very lucky guy :slight_smile: )

16 Likes

Number 5 is alive! Love those movies, some of my favs when I was little! Pool bot looks awesome with the stickers man!

5 Likes

Your mother was a snow-blower! :robot:

7 Likes

Does the pool vacuum come with a shoulder mounted laser though?

2 Likes

For some reason, I never noticed that the legends were blue in the renders for the caps. I always saw black. Also, the CA66 would be my choice.

1 Like

My 2nd BM65 Kit. I just love that kit so i had to order another one. Also my G-MKY red samurai keycaps. Using holy tom switches right now so i can swap between tactile and linear (nk cream in my other) when i feel like it. :slight_smile: Even after years of being in this hobby i still love it every time a new board is ready or when new switches and parts come in.

8 Likes

I didn’t know about this kit. Very nice. I might need to pick one up now.

How is the E/W wobble on these?

pretty wobbly, at least on the batch i got, don’t know if it’s the same for all. they are nice to type on, though.

1 Like

CA66 looks very clean

1 Like

A whole bunch of all-black Boba U4t switches

12 Likes

The Noctua NH-P1 passive cooler.

14 Likes

I need to rip the keyboard off my MBP and install a few of these on top to keep kernel_task tamed.

1 Like

Happy to report back (from different lighting conditions…) on these Idea23 resin Hi-Pro keycaps, which I’ve just mounted on my HHKB Pro 2.

I’ll start off by saying I’m very happy with my purchase, and I adore interfacing with the digital world through these keycaps. As many of us know, until Hi-Pro EC keycaps become more widely produced Idea23 are one of the few people that make them. Idea23, if you see this, thank you for your work and contributions to the community and hobby. This is actually the second set that was posted to me as the post office lost the first set, but Idea23 was very good about sending replacements off. You might, however, have a little difficulty staying updated if, like me, you’re not too keen on Discord.

The keycaps came nicely packaged in three little grey pouches which I’ll definitely keep, along with an Idea23 calling card and a lovely print of original artwork. Rather Giger-esque with a touch of cartoon styling. One set of keycaps comes with just enough of your chosen style for an HHKB, with a few extra. In my case, the extras were in a different style, and for Esc, Ctrl, and RShift and FN. I’m not sure if this is the same for all orders, but you might keep this in mind as initially I thought they would be extras of the same style, in case any broke.

The Hi-Pro style of the keycaps is as expected—if you love them, you really love them. I enjoy the way they almost ‘rise’ into my fingers whilst typing, whereas with Cherry-style profiles it feels like I am leaning into my keyboard to drive it forward (which comes with its own type of enjoyment). The full keycap set comes with two scooped keys for the F and J keys.

These keycaps are made from resin, using moulds taken from original Topre Hi-Pro style keys. As such, this set is more like a full set of artisan keycaps which makes the price a little mind-boggling (in a good way). They are resin though, so they have a slightly slippery/oily, grippy-smooth kind of feeling—very hard to describe—but I do enjoy that tactile sensation and they add to my collection’s diversity, as I try to make each keyboard unique in some way. I will note here that Idea23 recently cast new moulds which are going to be used for their keycap sets going forward, and mine comes from one of the last batches using old moulds. Finally, I will say I don’t particularly worry about their durability: they seem sturdy (but I do baby the objects I use), and snap into place confidently. I also don’t mind key wobble, so though they seem fine to me in this regard, your mileage may vary.

A note for the detail-oriented though: you might find these keycaps difficult if you are keen to keep things consistent or perfectly aligned. For one, the marble pattern on these keycaps aren’t ‘continuous’—they’re unique per key. You can do a bit of work trying to align the patterns/shading as best you can by shuffling the keycaps around, but don’t expect it to look like the keycaps are rising out of a single slab of continuous marble. And two, because of the production process of these keycaps, inevitably the spacing between keys and overall alignment isn’t going to be perfect. You can mitigate this point by again shuffling around keys (especially between R2 and R4 as they seem to be mirrors of each other, if my understanding is correct). But you’ll have to live with a bit of ‘organic-ness’ when they’re mounted, which to be honest adds to the charm of the finished product for me when considered together with the style of marbling.

Good stuff. Can’t wait to pop these in a Heavy Grail!

18 Likes

Very nice review. Pretty much answered all of the questions I had. What about the space bar? Nice fit? I don’t except any warping since it’s resin.

1 Like

I got a bunch of switches I ordered from dangkeebs to add to my switch collection. I’m slowly building up my switch collection so I ordered packs of 10 >.>

10 Likes

Hello and welcome! Always nice to have another switch collector to nerd-out with.

Any new favorites or ones you find interesting?

3 Likes

My first Archetype win showed up today!

13 Likes

More fun stuff from CntrlKeys. :3

10 Likes

It ain’t much, but it’s mine.

10 Likes