What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

The good stuff:

14 Likes

Oh man, I didn’t know they made film too! Making a mental note of that.

1 Like

Nice! What’re your plans for it? That’s one of my go-to case dampening materials.

I have a HHKB JIS Hybrid that deserves a little more than shelf liner.

2 Likes

And a pack of Outemu reds. sadly winglatch/kailh style housings, which are not my favorites, but oh well. They are factory lubed which is kinda surprising. From quick testing i can say that they are decently smooth (no jwick level but not bad) and have decent wobble. They also sound quite decent.

5 Likes

PCIe M.2 NVME adaptor, for this guy:

256gb NVME drive my friend had as an extra - this will be where Windows 10 is going to live on my system.

I call these things “gumstick drives” because, well, look at it. It’s so tiny.

7 Likes

I use a NVME for my OS drive, as well.

Got this card in the mail today. RIP Topps…

7 Likes

Is that a bull-fighter collector card :thinking:

2 Likes

Joe Kelly made headlines after trading his Dodgers jersey for a Mariachi jacket and then wearing it to The White House a few days later.

Basically they made a baseball card of him wearing the jacket at the White House.

3 Likes

Some new Moondrop IEMs.

7 Likes

Received some modifiers to finish out my new keyboard. No more (obvious) Frankenstein’s monster. The new set has squared corners but the color matches nicely.

7 Likes

Got some bobagums today. Bottom-out is soft as expected, but they are perhaps too quiet for my liking. May do some springs swap to get it at the right weight later in the weekend.

8 Likes

Prototype PCBs and plates for my next project arrived today, through-hole 40% for your 60% tray mount case.

18 Likes

I won the badseed tech Twitter giveaway and got my captain America ctrl build today :slight_smile: This is my first complete keeb.

16 Likes

Picked up a bunch of Halo Silents/Unholy U4s from my local aftermarket. Seller had these leftover after making his Holy Bobas. I’m rather impressed with Drop’s packaging, the switch holders that resemble cable covers hold the switches down very securely.

The Unholy U4’s tactility feels enhanced in the Halo housing and 65g spring. I’m waiting for a PCB to ship from Taobao before getting started on my build :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I recently received the Lunar Shadow Pointer Instrument from Lunar Artefacts, a London-based company allegedly focussed on creating aesthetically pleasing yet technologically functional devices built to last. It seems the design intent was equally focussed on visual refinement and repairable usefulness.

Calling a mouse a ‘Pointer Instrument’ did seem characteristic of the gratuitous (rather than enjoyable) pretentiousness that Central London seems to gravitate towards. However, I admittedly look for the ‘next best thing’ rather constantly and wondered if anything out there could replace the ubiquitous Logitech MX Master series, at least for a while. The custom keyboard scene has really spoiled me with its endless creative spirit, and my MX Master 3, whilst perfectly enjoyable to use, was looking a bit faded and corporate next to all the wonderful keyboards that sit on my desk each week.

The mouse does come apart quite easily. The outer shell is solid aluminium, and the top portion of the case made of plastic and calf leather is held in place with magnets. Further disassembly is just behind a few screws, and the mouse uses Omron Japan switches for which replacements can be fairly easily sourced.

A brass version is also available which I initially purchased, but returned because the colour of the brass was a gaudy shade closer to bright gold. What a shame.

We shall see how it fares. At the very least, this thing makes me wonder if pointing devices can be subject to a similar creative passion as mechanical keyboards are. Or perhaps they already are, and I just don’t know!

12 Likes

woah this is a super interesting PCB! where can I stay up to date on your progress?

2 Likes

They definitely are, though the community seems to be much smaller for now. I suppose it will have its own Eternal September at some point. I think that currently the main limiting factor is the relative scarcity of 3D printers and CNC machines, and the fact that pointing devices often are much more complicated mechanically than keyboards (ignoring the switches, which we use ready-made).

1 Like

This mouse certainly exudes a premium look with the calf leather surface and aluminum case! Would definitely love to hear your long-term thoughts on its use :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow, I seriously considered buying one of these, but I’d already bought a new mouse. I do hope it lives up to expectations.

1 Like