What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I’d say it’s been at least a year, maybe two.

@ThereminGoat’s review of the Naevy 1.5 can probably tell you more about the subject than I could.

I can show you some photos, though. Here I have a pre-retool / A / V1 / whatever EV-01 compared with an Alpaca V2:

The Alpaca is shiny, the EV-01 less so.

It’s especially noticeable at the sharp corners.

Here I think the difference in texture is noticeable.

8 Likes

Are these special Evangelion switches?

At least two different

Those are the Durock EV-01, fairly standard JWK 63.5g switches, but they’re factory unlubed.
I got them since the factory lube doesn’t fare well with Tribosys 3204 in my experience.

1 Like

Got myself some random OEM profile doubeshot sets because i wanted to see the quality and thickness and such. The “night sakura” set seems to be the worst of the 2. Modifier legends seem strange, specially the “CapsLock” legend. And they aren’t as thick as the other one.
The Dolch set seems to be a lot better. Thicker and more consistent legends. Still not bad for the price as they were both 25 bucks, but i’m not sure if i would recommend any of them.

6 Likes

The EV series switches are inspired by the giant robots from Evangelion, yes. I think there’s EV-02s and EV-00s in addition to the EV-01s. Bespoke keys has all three, but I think the 02s are out of stock.

2 Likes

Oh you’re talking about the famous v2 molds, I thought they were debunked and JWK often renew their molds?

According to the link you’ve sent it seems like I got pre-V2 molds switches, stem is non tapered, 4 injection marks on the housing, and 1 letter on the bottom.

But at the same time I find it hard to believe I got pre-v2 molds 2 years after they were released?
IIRC pre-retool JWK switches were pretty low quality, often having loose and rattly housing requiring films, with ok stem wobble while the EV-01 switches I got feel like solid quality.

Could JWK have multiple molds for different switches?
All the linear samples I got from Durock seem to be pre-retool, while the T1/Sunflower/POM samples are post-retool.

BTW the EV-01 switches are smooth but have pretty big “plasticy resistance” when off center, I assume it’s due to them being bone dry, as the EV-01 sample I lubed was wonderful.
I wonder if using them bone-dry can actually harm them?

Edit: this link by Bespoke Keys claims they sell EV-01 with latest V2 polished molds.

1 Like

The whole thing isn’t totally clear to me, but as I understand it the way JWK looks at it is, “hey these are just fresh molds of the same thing, we don’t make a distinction” - but folks have noticed that the new tooling and old tooling aren’t identical, and that the new switches are better - so even though JWK doesn’t consider it a revision or version or whatever, the community does.

The first run of EV-01s was made before the retool, and from the second run forward (including EV-02s and EV-00s) all the rest have been made with the updated / V2 / B / retooled molds.

As far as how you ended up with pre-retool ones it’s hard to say, but it wouldn’t surprise me if vendors still had some of the first run hanging around - especially Durock. (From what I understand Durock has been using JWK to produce their switches pretty much since they started, so It makes sense to me that they’d have a lot of older switches hanging around - and since they don’t make a distinction between newer and older molds, it makes sense that they’d send out the stuff they have lying around as samples rather than make sure it’s the freshest.)

I can definitely confirm that the newer tooling is better in terms of tolerance and smoothness, but even before that JWKs were seen as good enthusiast switches (provided you take the time to tune them).

That resistance feeling is likely because they’re dry; I have some other old JWKs that are great lubed - just do that and install some films and you should have some excellent switches on your hands.

I don’t think using them dry will harm them; if anything they’ll get more “broken in” - some folks use machines to pre-wear dry switches before lubing. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Latest version of the Fc660c converter board by @Dave Can’t wait to try this out.

Also some red jacket linears. 2 stage spring linears with a long pole. Factory lubed with grease it appears.

16 Likes

Oh yes, it’s happening!

17 Likes

IMG_20220519_182539
IMG_20220519_182533
KWK Deskmat and a Devil Cat from Atelier RNG

7 Likes

Oh, I like this. This being a Mojo68 & MojoPad “Plastic” edition. I feel like focusing on aesthetics this evening, so that’s what I’ll be doing here.

I’ve been meaning to get a nice bluetooth numpad for a while now - this’ll do nicely.

Seriously, this is a really good little input device. My smallest gasket-mounted dodad!

I’ll say it. That’s a nice bottom.

Both pieces have the “Need keyboard, not friends” and “:honeybee: Have a nice typing day” PCB tabs peeking out in the back.

Is “kitschy” the right word for this? Well, whatever it is, I kinda love it. For me, the graphics and redundant labels are fun. I think I’ve said this before, but MelGeek’s design manages to walk this line between being well executed and not taking itself too seriously. If less but better embossed in aluminum is a bit stuffy, "Plastic" screen-printed on some plastic is… well. Every time I reach into my bag of words to try and describe MelGeek’s vibe, I pull out “cheeky” - and I do mean it in the best possible way.

This version of the Mojo68 comes with MDA keycaps; think XDA and SA had a baby. Big, broad surfaces with very slight spherical sculpting. Unlike the other three MelGeek key profiles available with versions of the Mojo68, these are dye-sub PBT.

Speaking of which, the keycap legends are at least half the fun of this keyboard.

I think there was a time when I would have disliked this kind of aesthetic, but in the here and now, I’m quite fond of it.

The legends aren’t perfectly aligned, but nothing that stands out. What does stand out area all these fun little details.

Aaah, weelll… Don’t make a keeb this fun to look at if you don’t want me taking pictures of it. :stuck_out_tongue: But hey, at least the backspace key will have its way - no mechmarket for this keeb. This is mine forever.

I love how you can see inside this keeb. I love a lot more that the inside is as thoughtfully designed as the outside. Every angle of this thing is designed to be looked at, and I think it shows. Just look at that little light-pipe cluster!

Keebs are a space that naturally draws-in deisgners, and I think that’s why the custom wing of the hobby has so many wonderfully designed keyboards - but I’m less accustomed to seeing this degree of aesthetic thoughtfulness in the middle-market.

There’s plenty of A E S T H E T I C in that space, too - but there’s nearly always some kind of compromise or purely functional form without refinement. See: inside an NK65EE, KBD67’s seams, Portico’s foam pads, etc. Not that those are bad, but that they do stand in contrast to how above and beyond MelGeek went designing this nearly all-plastic keeb.

By the way - that visible white plate that looks a bit like tool-bent sheet metal is actually molded plastic, and I think the sound and feel of the keeb both benefit from that.

This glassy, crystal-clear form of polycarb shows up plenty in switches, but less often in keyboard cases. There are good reasons for that, but I still think it’s the right choice for this design. there’s tiny little rainbows in there deude

Were I the sort, this bit of object could easily convince me I’m a more sophisticated person for having it visibly perched on my desk… but then I’d also probably miss all of MelGeek’s cheeky visual jokes, totally not worth it.

Oh yeah! This one has Gateron Pro Browns.

That’s right - I chose BrOwNs on purpose, and I don’t regret it. In seriousness, though, these are surprisingly nice for a stock light tactile. Like the Pro Yellows, these are factory lubed in buttery fashion. Very smooth, but just a touch rattly.

I get why Browns don’t get a lot of love in the hobby - even without Thomas’s entertainingly hyperbolic rants about them, the average stock brown is indefinite and scratchy. But a lubed brown - that really is something different, and I’m a fan of it. These Pros get maybe 3/4 of the way there, which is great for a factory stock switch.

Total impulse buy, totally worth it.

This plastic pair does well something I love about keebs in general: being fun to look at while also being functional.

19 Likes

I think they did an outstanding job on this set. I couldn’t be happier with mine.

2 Likes

It just arrived today, not too bad for free shipping from China. Good deal.

Is everybody else getting theirs yet?

13 Likes

Just impulse bought one due to your review, also chose the clear and PLASTIC version with Pro Browns, I don’t think I’ll be disappointed. :smiley:

4 Likes

Ese Chonkletier

2 Likes

• Digital calipers for teh science

• Kailh Blacks, also for science

• Holy Llama sample

• Tai-Hao Cubic Avatar II Green

Holy wow those caps tho - at least in terms of aesthetics, these really exceeded my expectations. They look. So. Cool.

Phone camera woefully unprepared to capture the color of these; a vague approximation with editing:

13 Likes

Interesting. Are all of the Llama products properties of MK? I feel like I don’t see a lot of their stuff out in the wild. But those keycaps look neat.

Yes, all the Llama stuff that I know of is MK. The caps you can get anywhere that sells Tai-Hao stuff pretty much, but I got those from MK as well.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve got a set. I just need them to finish the Command65 so I can home them.