What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Got a new tech bag.

22 Likes

Today I had a very, VERY special delivery mail.

I don’t regret having taken the industrial grey version :stuck_out_tongue:

19 Likes

Woohoo! I’m happy you got yours @Rico! What machine/OS are you using it on? I’m awaiting my F77 (soon) and wondering what the setup process will be like, with all the info distributed between ellipse’s site, the deskthority thread, the manual, etc., and the change from QMK to Via at some point in the process. I see a lot of new F77 owners in that DT thread getting a bit lost and frustrated. Do you think we should make a thread here?

1 Like

I am sure you will like it !

I am under Windows 10, installing the latest VIA/QMK firmware has been quite easy.
@Ellipse did a great effort to centralize all documentaion from it’s website, including lots of Youtube videos showing various topics from instaling the keycaps to retrieving the QMK firmware and flashing it.

That beeing said this is definitely a keyboard for experienced tinkerers, beginners may have some difficulties for a first board.

If enough Keebtalk users have one, or plan to receive their own in the near future, well why not create a dedicated thread indeed. I know @Manofinterests received it’s one some time ago but never gave a feedback on it, this could be a good place to share our experience.

1 Like

What’s the bag? I would love to look it up for some more info. Good idea with the airtag!

2 Likes

If that interests anyone, the Durock Store on AliExpress does seem to hold the pre-retool EV-01 switches, the V1 JWK linears, when asked about it they responded:

“This is a custom switch a while ago”

Which is a bit interesting since the V2 switches supposedly have better housing tolerance and stem wobble but this switches seem to be have pretty tight housing (even after opening) and stem wobble is very small even up to the point some switches are too tight and can have quite a bit of resistance when off center (I currently use them unlubed though).

Out of curiosity, does anyone have an experience with both V1 and V2 and can tell if the V2’s are really better?
Theremingoat seem to say that the difference between Alpacas V1 and V2 aren’t that big and it’s mainly due to better factory lubrication.

2 Likes

I ordered the mojo68 a few days ago… can’t wait until it gets here!

3 Likes

I concur with him. I do think there are some small beneficial differences with how smooth the plastic itself is, but that doesn’t make half the difference that a better lubing does - and I do think that’s why Alpacas feel so sublime.

2 Likes

Also JWK fixed the top housings from being super loose fitting with the V2s. Well actually they did a V1.5 that fixed that originally (OG NK silks/drys were 1.5s I believe), but I’m pretty sure they further improved the fitment with the V2 molds.

4 Likes

I got in late on the AF SA profile, but my green set is due to arrive in June.

@Deadeye How are those Pro Browns? I mean, I have CAP Browns, so are they similar?

Got a Tangarine V2 sample to see what all the fuss is about, it is indeed very impressive, super smooth, barely any scratch noise, and it doesn’t acknowledge off-center presses.

Judging by this sample alone I’d say they’re top tier.

I’d rate them same level as the Durock POMs, POMs are super smooth but have this dragging feeling like they’re lubed with heavy grease, despite being dry, while this sample is very close in terms of smoothness, but the feeling is much more snappy.

Maybe at the same level of smoothness if not a bit better than R1 EV-01 lubed with Tribosys 3204.

Lower pitched than JWK standard linear, at least this sample is.

I haven’t opened it but I think it’s factory lubed, aside for slight spring ping, and judging by the fact I have been using dry EV-01 with barely any ping, I’d say the Tangarines are probably plug and play.

I’ve seen a video of someone comparing the Tecsee Carrots to the Tangarines claiming them to be close, the Carrots are one of the better linear switches I’ve tried, but this samples is next level compared to it.

7 Likes

I don’t have any CAP browns, but I do have both CAP Yellows and Pro Yellows and I can tell you how they differ.

Weighting is basically the same.

Pros are more smooth, with more texture felt and heard with the CAPs.

CAPs have a significantly more deep and full bottom-out sound (and feel); less sharp than the Pros.

Wobble is honestly about the same up-top, but something about the CAPs feels a little more solid during travel. Seems like there’s a lot less wobble at the bottom of travel with the CAPs.

Pros have some crinkly metallic sound and what seems to be some light housing rattle, much less so if any with the CAPs.

I think it’s easier to type quietly with the Pros.

The CAPs have the housing curve that helps with low-profile keycap compatibility. The Pros also appear to have a similar curve, but its slope is less steep. Now I wonder how many top housing shapes does Gateron have in rotation, and on what basis do they choose one or another for a given switch? Hmm…

Either way; I’d say both CAP and Pro [color] switches are good options, but between them I prefer the CAPs. Not as smooth, but more solid-feeling and I prefer the deeper sound.

1 Like

Tangies are great! If you can manage a very thin application of 205g0 on the stem, it makes them even smoother without adding drag (in my testing, it was better than 3203 and 3204 in that regard), and the sound is taken to the next level. If you already have them open, lubing the spring and adding a film (TX orange in mine) make these god-tier linears.

5 Likes

XMI colored chinese and blue korean
Matrix 2.0 8vx
XMI RGBY color mods

5 Likes

that some nice stuff. You’ll have to post photos when you get it built.

1 Like

XMI got here after I left for work : (

15 Likes

Pretty big mail day for the switch collection.

From NovelKeys, I got some supplemental Mute Jades, Speed Bronzes, and Nolives.

From AliExpress…

o ya that’s deffo a China pkg

Some random Outemus!

Outemu Ocean - thought it was a light tactile, actually a clicky. Seems like a refined Blue; less rattly. Uses the Cherry-style 4 clips.

I’m not a big click-jacket guy, but these seem… surprisingly decent? I’ll try them eventually.

Outemu Silent Peach - kinda hideous, but seems like a legit decent silent linear. Budget Bobagum? Uses a single-slot wing-latch on each side.

These look more like marzipan or halva to me than peaches, but hey. Might have to try these next.

12 Likes

There are some in the SWE-community that strongly feels that the Outemu Sky is the best click jacket switch ever so this is probably in the same league.

2 Likes

A boxful of IBM keyboards arrived from my friend in the US, including mix of buckling spring Model Ms, buckling sleeve Model Ms and two ThinkPad-style keyboards! All should serve well as site content and photos!

• T-L: 2015 IBM Keyboard with Integrated Pointing Device USB (SK-8845CR) P/N 00WV000
  • T-R: 2013 IBM Keyboard with Integrated Pointing Device USB (SK-8845RC) P/N 94Y6179
  • M-L: 2006 IBM IBM Modifiable Layout Keyboard with MSR (Model M11) P/N 41J8019
  • M-R: 1986 IBM PC/XT Enhanced Keyboard (Model M) P/N 1390120
  • B-L: 1996 IBM Space Saver Keyboard (Model M4) P/N 1397451
  • B-M: 1993 IBM PS/2 Enhanced Keyboard (Model M) P/N 52G9658
  • B-R: 2011 IBM Modular CANPOS II Keyboard (Model “M-e”) P/N 93Y1231

Also included were some sweets from my friend! Whilst us Brits have analogues for all of them, they were still pretty nice. Whoppers (which are basically Malteasers) is probably the weakest one since its made of Hershy’s chocolate.

29 Likes

Found an end-game delicate electric screwdriver. It’s sourced from just one seller on AE, which is the brand’s own store. It’s a beast, but I dislike two things so far. The case is magnetic but doesn’t have a latch, so it just falls into two pieces if you mishold it, and doesn’t come with a net bag or something other to hold it together. Secondly, I was near certain it uses USB-C for its charging port, but no, it uses micro USB. I solved the latter with a reversible micro USB, so not a huge issue. Still a very cool piece. I used this guy’s video to figure out the best one.

5 Likes