What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I’d try inserting all switches before adding shims, and see if it ends up solid.

In my experience with their kits and plates, one was perfect, the other was tad too small (with accurate cutouts).

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions @Cloud983 and @Deadeye. I tried adding all the switches without tape but the larger holes were still too large, I added some blue pianters tape and it fixed it. I am surprise how well the tape worked

3 Likes

I legit thought my wob set was a goner because I couldn’t find the seam to get the box opened :sob:

2 Likes

EMA profile keycaps from IDOBAO.

Some discussion about those on the weekly new keycap profile thread, and I also have a new ramble about them on my website that includes lots of comparison photos with other profiles.

5 Likes

Bought cheap ones.
They are exactly the same as deskeys.

3 Likes

Got another HHKB for my GoCF Heavy Grail. Just waiting on the case now :kissing_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

SA 8010 finally arrived! This likely won’t be its final home - it’ll probably wind up on my Saturn. But I had this board sitting capless already, and wanted to see how they looked as soon as they came.

9 Likes

Some new switches for my collection of weird and funky MX-style switches. And a gateron red as a comparison. Linear switch with a blue stem and shorter top housing. The spring is 17.35mm long, which is quite long for a switch like this. The stem and the bottom housings are compatible with (some) normal MX-style switch parts. The problem is that the leaves are much shorter than normal so they fit in the shorter top housings, so adding a regular height top housing makes the switch tactile, even with linear stems. The top housings are not compatible because there is not enough room for the leaves with normal bottom housings. Overall they are kind of scratchy and wobbly and not really worth the money, as just 20x of them are around 100-150 usd.

7 Likes

gonna look awesome on the Saturn! I hope I’m able to pick up extras of this set.

2 Likes

Here it is on the Saturn. I don’t know which board I prefer it on - it goes well with the teal, but on the Saturn, it makes for a pretty good Decision Data 8010 replica.

12 Likes

DZ60 alu plate for Bakeneko60

Bredworks FR4 plate for KBD67 Lite

7 Likes

Time to see what all of the hype is about…

14 Likes

After some years of losing auctions i finally managed to win one and got some OG cherry doubleshots. Already yellowed and shiny so i can jump straight into the famous GMK experience. They have a different sound compare to some other keycap sets, as expected, but not sure what to do with them yet.

15 Likes

They are actually a tad better than GMK. :wink:
(I believe, but not sure that Cherry used a better quality of ABS than GMK uses nowadays.)

1 Like

Okay, I made a big mistake.

These Blueberry Chiffon switches arrived today, and…

They’re nice!

The problem is, my new NCR-80 was completed recently, and I used some harsh Ergo Clears in it.

It should have used Blueberry Chiffons!

Compared with Browns, the Chiffons have the tactility higher-up, and it’s snappier. Tactile resistance is stiffer at the top, then collapses into linear after the bump.

It’s kind of like a smoother, straighter Kailh Pro Purple. But the weight is very close to MX Brown.

They aren’t quite Browns, they are a cross between them and Ergo Clears. Obviously, they are smoother than Browns [mine are the factory-lubed version].

I would say that they are refreshingly easier to type on than my 62 G TX Ergo Clears. And they don’t bottom-out too hard, but that long-pole is slightly apparent. Kind of like baby U4Ts.

Sound-wise, the factory lube isn’t perfect. There is a kind of metallic pingy noise (and squeak sometimes) on one of the two switches I am testing on a bare NCR-80 hotswap PCB. But it’s fine function-wise. I think the factory-lubed variant would be fine for a budget build, but you’d want to hand-lube the unlubed variant for a fancy build.

These are more pleasant than the sharper, harsher Ergo Clears I recently used, and go better with my increasingly blue-themed NCR-80. So I wish I had waited a week before it was put together. Funny how these things work out.

12 Likes

Glad you like them!

One thing I am really starting to enjoy in tactiles is the use of longer or double stage springs. It allows for a really comfortable weight while still being “snappy” :+1:

1 Like

I’ve had the same experience with them - and that’s really the only non-positive thing I could say about them. Aflion has been killing it lately, IMO.

In fairness, I don’t think I’ve ever tried a light-to-medium tactile that doesn’t have at least some metallic noise going on.

1 Like

Yes, I think OUTEMU using longer 52 and 55 G springs in their tactiles, and a number of other manufacturers later (55 G CAP Browns), paved the way for long-spring success in light-tactiles.

@Deadeye, this is my first experience with an Aflion switch, and it is pretty positive. Yes, light-tactiles are vulnerable to ping and squeak. Solution so far has been to lube the leaf-area like in that video of “How to make Everglide Jade Green sound good.” And springs, of course.

Might try just lubing those two things with the test switches, to see what happens. Is there a safe way to lube the leaf? [I am typing rn on the 62 G Ergo Clear NCR-80, and it is still a little harsher than I prefer.]

1 Like

The caps look good on the teal, but on the Saturn? :fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

Swag bags from Upgrade Keyboards:

• Big bag o’ mixed-up Kailh Blacks

• Lil’ bag o’ Shrimps

• Bonus candy & stickers

I guess Fred Durst needed a new gig - now he’s a mascot! :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes