What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Got a package in from SP/PMK today. I had been curious about SA-P and when I saw that they were now selling convex SA-P short bars I figured I’d try 'em out (as I mentioned in another thread it appears that they have stopped selling SA convex short bars).

• Also got some translucent DCS caps to try them out
  • some UnAlice novs since @pixelpusher reminded us of that set the other day, the dye sub is so nice on them.
  • Also wanted to try out some SA-P dye sub caps which are also very nice.

Was curious so I did a thickness test for the SA-P caps (from left to right, SA-P, Regular SA, MT3 PBT

They seem very thick. I assume that’s offset somewhat by not having an internal structure (like MT3 or a second shot like regular SA) but it’s doubtlessly a very chunky keycap.

11 Likes

Epic mail day!!!

:rofl:

16 Likes

9 Likes

As always, a lot of photos under the spoilers.

Summary

JTK Griseann

Summary

5 Likes

Looks like you got a good set of JTK Griseann, very nice! Some folks got rather poor quality caps in theirs. I enjoy that set quite a lot myself.

2 Likes

Mystery switches: Gat Clears (extra-light linears; these will be frankenfood)

Upgrade Keyboards’ Keycap Spacers

Gateron Clear, the Spacers, and some other toroids for scale. From left to right:

• Smol burger o-ring
  • Burger o-ring
  • OLKB washer
  • UPKB spacer
  • OLKB washers, stack of 3
  • Keycap o-ring

Side view; here you can see that the new UPKB spacers are around twice as thick as the OLKB washers - and about half the thickness of any of the o-rings.

More detail comparing the UPKB spacers and OLKB washers

While I do prefer the granular adjustment of the super-flat metal washers, I think the thicker dimension of the Nylon spacers makes sense both for the plastic material as well as for practicality and ease of use. (That fraction of a millimeter makes a difference when trying to pick up one of these.)

The radial dimensions are a little smaller, making them a little more challenging to install, but also less likely to lift-off with keycaps compared to the OLKBs. On rare occasion, I had those interact with stabilizer parts, sticking out just a little too much if they slid to the side - these new ones are just a little bit smaller around, meaning they’ll have less play as well as a slightly smaller radius - all of which I think will help make these useful for a wider range of stabs than the OLKBs are.

These new ones fit snugly, if not tightly over the Gateron stem. In comparison, the OLKBs simply drop and rest in-place, having some tolerance between them an the stem mount. The UPKBs stay in-place when I turn this Gateron upside-down, where the OLKBs would fall-off without any oil or moisture holding them there.

Here you can see a spacer blending-in reasonably well with this Clear stem; it doesn’t add any width, and simply raises the floor that caps stop against when seating.

7 Likes

Hey if you end up not wanting the springs from the Gat clears I’ll take them off your hands for a couple bucks!

1 Like

So update on my Salvation, after I got it thrown together & started using it I realized it had few pretty noticeable scratches on the left side bezel. I tried dabbing some different sheen black paints on it to cover them up cause I really didn’t want to have to send it back, but those all stuck out worse than the scratches unfortunately. Thankfully Novelkeys is one of our communities best vendors & all it took was a quick email with pictures for them to offer to exchange it for one that has no blemishes on the outside. Sucks to have to send it back cause I really like the board a lot, but I have to praise NK for being such a great vendor to us!

13 Likes

I apologize to the readers. I am so often making posts so often. :pensive: :pensive:

In comparison with old versions, I saw new only that is that everything is in bags. Previously, everything was in a scattering.

Summary

12 Likes

Don’t apologise, I enjoy your posts very much!

6 Likes

Got some artisans in today from the awesome Mr. Maw!

Mr. Sharky “Psycho Killer v1”

Mr. Hunter “Psycho Killer v1”

They join my other artisan from him, Mr. Hunter “The Fallen Angel.”

6 Likes

All I have to say to that is

jawsome

also

Apparently the Sewer Sharks are ortho enjoyers:

hacking-essay

4 Likes

9 Likes

NK_ haul:

• PBT Sage
  • QMX stabs
  • Some Cream Tactiles
  • Mystery Silks
7 Likes

OOH, nice. My sage set and QMK come tomorrow. Not bad for mystery switches!

2 Likes

Bad lighting, but - hmm :thinking: I do type more slowly on MDA…

I’d say the majority of the time I buy a keyset with a specific plan in-mind, I like it more somewhere else. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Let us know how these are, I’m pretty intrigued by them but have a shit ton of TX stabs right now so don’t want to buy till I know they’re good. Especially at $22 a set.

4 Likes

I definitely will. I plan on installing them in my black Portico this weekend.

I loaded-up on TX stabs too, but if there’s one thing that gets my neurons activated more than innovation in switches it’s innovation in stabs. These are definitely distinct; the wire clips-in the bottom, and the stems rest on an interior surface rather than the PCB. They’re also captive in the housings - easy enough to remove if you want to, but they’re unlikely to just fall out even without the wire.

Also - I went ahead and put Sage on the Mojo, and I like it. A surprisingly good match if not a perfect one.

It just hit me where I’ve seen the exact color before.

The ceiling at Perkin’s.

9 Likes

It looks like it may pair really well with white. I might try this out on my Gentoo

3 Likes

Oh a new stab innovation?

5 Likes