What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

ePBT 3000SAT just arrived!

I noticed there was a second bag of alphas included, with a noticeably lighter blue on the sublegends. The darker sublegends match the accent Esc+Enter but they seriously look almost black. I’m guessing that lack of contrast is the reason they included two sets of alphas but I can’t find confirmation. But yeah check this out:

The big surprise for me was the texture. I’m usually not a fan of ePBT’s texture, they tend to have a particular coarseness that feels disagreeable to me (ymmv of course). 3000SAT feels remarkably smooth though. Not quite as silky as R3/R4 CRP but very close.

Edit: a couple words.

7 Likes

The darker side legends were a mistake and they had to remake them with the lighter color. I guess they left the original mistake caps as a bonus for the delay. Which vendor did you order from? I’ve been waiting for these to ship so that I could snag extras :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Hibi June beige case has a bit of a pink hue. I am actually out of keycaps that would great on it. Would look great with a light purple, or a blue set. HSA Beige on Brown would look pretty sick as well.

Novelkeys Ember that I recently picked up for half-price is the best fit in my inventory. I would say the legends are sharper than NicePBT from CannonKeys.

Built the Hibi with the new Nixies from Cherry/NK as they are probably the most standard sounding switch I have on hand.

Despite being made of rubber and having fewer mounting points, like all other tray mounts the mods sound lighter in pitch than the rest of the board. Spacebar sounds great because they removed the mounting point on the bottom.

9 Likes

Mekibo, they just finished fulfillment so 1-2 weeks for extras.

2 Likes

Tell me these weren’t made for each-other.

This heavily discounted NK87EE Blumen came in the mail today. The color is perfect for MT3 Dusk, and this wild artisan from @vkeycaps came in clutch when I ran out of row-appropriate keys.

This is a mockup; before I ever plug this in I’ll be taking it apart to replace those untenable stabs.

Had to put this together, though. Might become a display piece.

11 Likes

A pair of Tsangan PCBs (WT60-H1) from Mekanisk. Both passed testing 100%. Beautiful plumage!

I primarily use Instant $60 (can’t even recall how many I have but none failed so far) but these look well-designed (only 2 North facing keys) and cheaper (!?!) even w/DHL shipping from China. They won’t be restocked so snap them up if you’re into Tsangan layout like me.

4 Likes

I will soon add a variety of blank keycaps as an option for orders and as a separate store item. Exactly for this situations)

1 Like

While someone seems to have dropped a People’s Elbow on this box somewhere along the way, thankfully the contents are unharmed.

10 Likes

Nice colours. Do they also do SA profile?

I just checked Omnitype’s website and it looks like they’ve sold through them but an SA version does exist so you may be able to find it secondhand.

2 Likes

Kbdfans recently posted a section on their website where there are files for keyboard plates.
And there was a file for Tiger80.
I ordered a carbon fiber plate.
It came out just perfect. All holes match. The cutouts for stabilizers are even better than on the original polycarbonate plate.

Summary

4 Likes

Do you have a link to those files?

3 Likes

What a Nightmare :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I just saw this comment on the group buy post from Lightning on Geekhack.

So, you noticed the texture was different, and he’s noted that the stems are more recessed than usual. Those are both excellent in my book. If we have ePBT sets that sit lower like GMK, that would be a huge plus. Do you have any older ePBT sets to mount beside this new set to show a comparison of skirt height (how far the bottom of the cap falls below the mount point)

3 Likes

I’m curious to see how this is going to play out. Seeing how thick ePBT keycaps are this could very well lead to interference issues.

2 Likes

It definitely could, but if they purposefully made the change, one would hope they checked for those issues. Still watching for extras to go on sale.

KTT Monochrome Onyx from Dangkeebs.

Its “unique” bump is about as tactile as Cherry MX Clear but ledge-like instead of sharp. Hard to tell how it’d feel in-use though. It’s very smooth stock, making me wonder if I need to lube at all.

UPDATE: Tried lubing w/Tribosys 2303 and liked it. Soundwise, Onyx’s full PC housing wastes much of the force used to overcome the bump and from the collapsing dip centered around 2mm, sounding rather thin despite the pounding it practically encourages. Going to try the stem in a POM or nylon bottom housing to give its sound more depth.

UPDATE2: Getting more used to Onyx’s unique tactility. If I could rename the switch, I’d call it KTT Cleaver. It’s brutal. That said, I think there is room for more variations of the tactility, like one worthy of being named KTT Stapler.

luxdecorcollection-7-cleaver-butcher-knife

6 Likes

I’m at work so I don’t have access to a better camera, but here’s a few comparing (from L to R in the first pic) R1 of GMK, 3000SAT, 6085, and Blank Blue:

These were the best angles I could get atm, it’s not so easy to see but 6085 (finished production in June 2022) sits the highest. Blank Blue (from late 2019) sits just a hair lower than 6085, while 3000SAT sits about the same as GMK.

3 Likes

Thanks!