What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Mictlan has landed! Very impressed with this set, not usually big on multi colored sets like this but this one is special to me for some reason! The novelties are out of this world too, although they are UV print so I’ll have to be careful with them. I also grabbed the Hibi metal cap which came with different colors than was shown on the sales pics, but thankfully I like the colors on it.

Edit: Threw it on the Frog 8K, couldn’t help myself had to see it on a board! :heart_eyes:

13 Likes

Looks fantastic! I can hardly wait :smiley:

Ha the email address I ordered this under is so spam-clogged I had no idea the set was even ready for shipping

1 Like

Those are fantastic. You obviously need to pick up is0gr now for that enter key :stuck_out_tongue:

From CK, I got a couple more packs of TX-AP stabs (Rev. 3 seems like it’s almost phased out), a Haimu sample pack, and SW (Swagkeys) Foundation. Initial impressions of Foundation are very positive and have me interested in more SW sets.

Will post some pics and thoughts soon.

1 Like

I still am hoping for extras. Just the novelties alone on Mictlan are worth he cost.

1 Like

Mine should be here tomorrow. I’m a little bummed out after seeing your photo of the Hibi cap. I like the render colors much better.

1 Like

Mictlán came today!! Allowed me to complete my Jaguar! Been so excited for this set, I can now channel my heritage as I type.

9 Likes

Hey! The jag is no longer naked!

I also got my order today.

4 Likes

WK870 from KeebMonkey. Not bad for $60 something. Sound is a bit stuffy, thanks to layers of gasket, but no visible exterior blemishes. Going to defer looking at its internals until Brother Leek keyset arrives. At the very least, it’s a decent switch tester. :wink:

Above WK870 is my board of the day: Fjell with Cthulhu frankenswitch on FR4. Same tray-mount like Tofu but the sound difference is amazing. Absolute bliss.

7 Likes

Absolutely fascinated with this board!

Are those PCB-mount stabilizers? Do they need lube?

It appeals to me that this could be ready-to-go with no effort. Might put some RARA V2s that have been sitting around for 3 years in one.

But I can only order from US vendors, I think, and int’l shipping is expensive.

1 Like

Assuming your comments were about WK870:

• WK870 comes with plate mount stabs. Cheap variety it looks like. No idea if they’re usable stock but I doubt lubing hurts.
  • Re shipping, I don’t remember it being typical international shipping. It was suspiciously low given the weight (it’s pretty hefty). And they shipped right away.
2 Likes

Very interesting. I’m not the hugest fan of plate-mount stabilizers, but they can be done right sometimes. Are you satisfied with them?

I guess they’d be okay in a loud build.

I’m not a fan either but this board will be used primarily as switch tester so plate stabs should do just fine.

1 Like

Their shipping is something like flat 9 dollars almost anywhere in the world on that board. It’s nuts.

4 Likes

Had a chance to try out SW Foundation that arrived a few days ago. Lovely.

5 Likes

Drop CTRL V2 PCB - this updated version has 5-pin support and is supposed to have some other improvements on the firmware side of things. Still North-facing, but I suppose that makes sense for an RGB-focused keyboard that ships with shine-through caps. My original PCB is in an aftermarket case, so my plan for this one is to put it in the old case and see if I can contrive some kind of replacement for the diffuser - we’ll see what happens.

First thing I notice is how… solid it feels. Maybe I’ve just gotten used to all the flex shenanigans - this thing feels like a plank of wood. I checked, it’s 1.6mm - it just feels extra thicc somehow. Moving on…

Huh. QC marks, I guess?

Another by the brain. A neat addition to this version: PCB-mount stab support. Sort of. The PCB itself now supports them, but the cases still don’t - so you’ll either need to find an unusually-shaped set that clears, or to modify your case. Still - a welcome addition, and leaves room for updating the cases later.

Something going on here, flux maybe? Oh hey - another thing they improved over the old CTRL PCB: the traces. Not sure if they are pathed by machine or not, but it looks more like a circuit board than cobwebs this time, so they get the point from me. Now for something a little weird the keen-eyed among you may have already noticed:

Neat! But probably trivial.

Do I think papa Corsair DORPed and accidentally sent me a prototype PCB? Fun as that would be, probably not… I think it’s more likely they just forgot to update the silk-screen for the final version. IIRC the product photos on the website depict the same printing. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

They are plate mounted, but the PCB is drilled for screw in stabs. The stock stabs are OK, not great but usable.

I have one of these boards, purely out of curiosity. I built it last weekend with MMD Princess Tactiles and it came out respectably thocky.

The stabs came with absolutely minimal lube. Once they were properly lubed they became smooth and non-rattly. The spacebar actually sounds pretty good to me. I’ve been using it as my gaming board for a week and quite enjoying it.

It’s really horrible out of the box, until you put the effort in. Force break, band-aid, lube stabs, line up the EVA foam properly, and it all gets a LOT better.

A few design tweaks to the case and add VIA and they can start the group buy :smiley:

4 Likes

It’d be cool if anyone with WK870 board as well as Bastion TKL PCB (solder or F12 variant) could test if Bastion PCB is compatible with WK870. As far as I can tell, it’s same or very close to H87x layout.

3 Likes

Hell yeah!

Be aware that the PCB has flex cuts and so does the plate. I found it easier to fit the switches with the PCB/plate outside the case, since some switches didn’t make proper contact just stuck into the assembled board.

3 Likes

Yup. Like you, I disassembled before installing switches. Some switches have shorter pins and thin PE foam on top of PCB doesn’t help either.