What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

About two weeks ago, switches appeared on one well-known website. According to the description, they seem to be new. BUT a Google search finds other parameters for this name.
I decided to buy)

Summary

I don’t know what to call them correctly.
Bsun Purple
Bsun Clear Purple
Ice Purple
Clear bsun ice Purple

The only interesting thing here is the shape of the stem. It has a channel that bulges inward.

I also made a video on Instagram or YouTube about the ping of the spring. They are dry, stock without lubrication.
At the start there is still an emptiness of pressing before the tactile hump begins.

6 Likes

I thought these were going to be fake Zealios at first, but clearly they’re unique. That stem rail is really interesting; I don’t think I’ve seen that anywhere else so far.

1 Like

The inward bulge is to reduce surface contact friction.
Maybe they’ll wear off faster than standard rails, potential future issue.

2 Likes

No pics, but did get some Cherry MX2A Nixies in today.

Currently running them through the break-in machine. Looks like only the spring is lubed, and that’s with generic lube that looks like it has the consistency of kindergarten paste…

No noticeable spring ping at all from that “lube” as well as the new “barrel” spring.

Same old Cherry scratch, stem wobble, and loose housings…

6 Likes

“BSUN Crystal Purple” according to BSUN’s “internal” product catalogue, but it’s interesting to see close up and high quality Photos of them for once. Those things on the bottom of the Rails sure are interesting. It almost looks like they are using the same Molds for silent and non-silent stems or something. I wonder if that’s exclusive to this specific series/Molds or not.
Screenshot 2023-10-24 181739

5 Likes

G502 X Lightspeed and the Powerplay mousepad. Heard enough good things and was interested in going to a mouse I would not ever have to worry about plugging in so decided to pull the trigger on the bundle.

3 Likes

Last small bits and parts (Flexstrip, LEDs etc). for my Charybdis, can’t wait for final assembly.

2 Likes

A Tofu60 Redux case in E-coating orange, and a jar of TTC Frozen Silent V2.

First impressions of both the case and the switches are very good.

The orange is an almost perfect match to RAL 2011, which will go very well together with my burgundy-orange-legend caps.

The switches seem smooth, soft and quiet, with litlle stem wobble (only tested in hand so far).

3 Likes

Corsa EC kit came today

Didn’t realize it was plate mounted stabilizers. Oh well. Looks like I’ve got a weekend project now

10 Likes

They look different. Boxy sliders. Blue housing. New manufacturer?

1 Like

Good question. I don’t know

1 Like

Some more Springs for my “collection”, trying to find the perfect Springs for me.
Also received an XD84 PCB and plastic Case to re-build an old build of mine. Cheers to anyone who remembers those ancient boards, we’re old.

5 Likes

Wave XLR and Stream Deck +
Wanted something more compact than the GoXLR, so decided to take the leap and see how these work - so far, not too bad. Took me a little longer to figure out the routing, but once I got a grip on that things were just as simple as the GoXLR and I have more space on the desk.

6 Likes

Oh you know what else I got today? 7u KAM command space bar replacement. A bit straighter and functions properly! Good on Vala for that!

5 Likes

I built my Corsa today. Hmm… I’m gonna say that I’m really happy that I’ve used many EC boards before trying this build. The build was tedious, as you may figure… looking at all of the pats. Assembly is trickier than a typical mod of a topre board because of the flexible FR4 plate. I did manage to get it all working on the first attempt.

My thoughts:

Pros:
It feels somewhat like a standard Topre board and sounds similar to a topre board. All of the pieces fit and work together. Cool to be able to put this in a board I already own.

Cons
Okay… so several of the housings are too loose in the plate and rattle when typing. It’s not a huge deal, but if you’re going for a silent build, this ain’t it.

The stabilizers suck ass. I’m not sure if they rattle, but I can tell you that it’s one of those situations where you have to very carefully press the keycap in place when mounting it or it’s going to get stuck down. I feel like it leads to a slightly shortened keypress too. This, of course, is a pretty big suck for the space bar. They actually included a topre space bar spring. I’m glad they did because it was the only way I could get it to feel decent. Unfortunately the spring is made to go over a round slider and these sliders are rectangular, so they dont really fit like they should (but it works, even though it does come at the expence of extra noise).

I opted to use the slightly thicker silencing pads. I think that was a poor choice. It feel like the keypress is too short. Also, silencing doesn’t mean a lot when you get rattle from the housings.

The mounting system for the Corsa is just a pain in the ass and took me way longer than I expected to swap out the assembly.

It needs gaskets for the plate (to keep housings from rattling) and better stabilizers. That would make it a better experience, for sure.

It was interesting to put together a completely custom topre build. I’ve modded my HHKBs and Leopolds with new sliders and silencing pads, but I’ve never had a completely custom kit. One thing that feels a bit off is the plate to PCB assembly. Because the plate is FR4, and you’re sandwiching in rubber domes, over tightening the screws can pull the plate down in spots. I tightened them all fairly tight the first run through and when I looked at the assembly it was all warped around the screws. Oops.

I’m defintely not a fan of the final result, but I think a few things here and there would improve it. I might try to redo this build without silencing pads and with some TX plate mount stabilizers.

10 Likes

Getting a good EC Kit build looks slimmer just going by line count. :man_facepalming:

Concern over housing-related issues was why I got the housing gaskets from Deskeys. Hope they work with my build when the kit gets here. While I doubt the gasket helps with the looseness, it should help somewhat in reducing housing movement.

As to shortened key travel, Deskeys also have these Dome gaskets to help with that.

I didn’t order it along with housing gaskets bc it was a bit more costly and I wasn’t sure I’d need it.

5 Likes

I had the same experience with my Matrix ME SE. Putting aside the cursed PCB I have (I should have stuck with Cipulot’s stuff), I didn’t like how the resulting product felt and, as a result, will be returning it to MX.

That was a costly way to determine I wouldn’t like something.

5 Likes

I love my WaveXLR! Been using it with my sm7b since it launched and the simplicity of it is unmatched. VST support is really nice too. I’ve paired it with a standard Stream Deck which I use like a macropad and it’s definitely a combo I’ll run for a long time.

2 Likes

I was frustrated but quickly swapped out the space bar stabilizers for stock, unlubed TX and took out the silencing on the slider. The space bar went from a 2/10 to at least a 6/10. I bet with lube it would be almost good :rofl: So maybe some tweaks will make it bearable?

But like you said, it’s definitely a costly investment for sub-par results. But I’m glad I tried it. I would always wonder. I’ll stick to my other Topre for now. Maybe the Seneca will be the EC experience I’m searching for.

4 Likes

Hmmm I wonder how these experiences compare to something like the EC kit for the Class60.