What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Hmm yes please!

Didn’t expect that to be such a hard choice for my followers :smile:
Didn’t expect the Lego to win either, truth be told

1 Like

Hangul Fc660c ready for retro fridge heavy 6 coming in on Friday…

6 Likes

I got some ceramic wrist rests in today!

11 Likes

@Manofinterests Looks awesome! Where did you get the aluminum (?) wrist rest?

220 of the last Halos I’ll probably be able to get at their retail price anytime soon. Thank god I ordered when I did, since before that I did not know they were letting the stock run out. I much prefer the look of the clear stems vs the true (salmon) ones & I don’t think Drop has any plans of offering clear stems with HPs. Plus if Drop really does stop selling Halos & just sell HPs from now on I’ll at least have a decent stock pile of true stems leftover too!

Edit: All stocked up, bags of happiness! :upside_down_face:

On the Halo subject, anybody need any Halo (Kaihl) housings? I got around 400 of them I doubt I’ll ever use. So if anybody wants some just DM me, all I ask is that you pay for shipping & I’ll send you as many as you need. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Drop is killing the Halo line?

1 Like

It’s pretty unclear at this point, but they are out of stock of all Halos right now & have not gave an official word of when or if they will be restocking.

1 Like

No photo/impressions, as I’m busy packing for a trip and don’t have time, but I got my holy pandas today :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I picked up a couple of very inexpensive boards recently — mostly as curiosities, but one of them I ended up liking pretty well. The first was a sort of Amazon Prime Day deal — there were coupons that brought the cost down to $2.60 shipped! But it’s not mechanical. It’s one of those “mechanical feel” boards. I was curious what it would be like, but it’s basically just a rubber dome. It does have rainbow backlighting though. And honestly, it isn’t completely unusable or anything.

The other one is this board from DSI that several people have been posting about on Reddit and elsewhere. It was originally a much more expensive board, but I paid about $22, and for that it is a steal. It has a very unusual layout, and I like the large bezels. I also like that it’s a Mac-specific board, which is kind of rare — especially at this price point. I might try putting other caps on it, although the ones it comes with are okay and actually look pretty good.

3 Likes

That second one looks pretty cool, I have some friends who use macs I might suggest it to

It comes in both Mac and Windows versions, and also includes a powered USB port, which is kind of unusual.

Got some GMK screw in stabs (two 7U & four 2U ones), a pack of Creams as samples since I haven’t tried them yet, & a V2 Zealios sample pack since I have only tried 78g V2s so far. I also got two vials of 3204 from 1up. I want to give it a try on some HPs to see how it compares to 3203 with them. I really liked 3204 with V1 & V2 Zealios, but ran out of it before I got any YOKs or MD HPs.

7 Likes

Steel wheel balancing weights. 3mm thick and dang heavy.

They fit my Tofu reasonably well. Height is perfect.

19 steel weights x 0.25oz each = 4.75oz ~= 0.3lb I’ve no idea where 19 came from.
31 steel weights x 7g = 217g. Due to sticky padding, I doubt the extra weight will affect the sound. This is more to address that ‘short-changed’ feeling.

UPDATE: Hmm. Tofu’s sound and feel have subtly changed…for the better. It’s interesting that just adding extra weight to a case can make it sound deeper and feel sturdier. All this is making me more interested in Klippe.

UPDATE2: Tried adding another layer without peel off the adhesive but the result didn’t sound nor feel better, maybe because PCB was touching the weights. Oh well. I’m happy enough just filling the cavities.

UPDATE3: Gave my acrylic Tofu the same treatment but I didn’t notice any improvements.

7 Likes

Too Much Topre.

10 Likes

Just got my Clueboard LP 66% in.

It has a custom powder coat color I picked out to match the Laser SA keycaps whenever they actually ship. This thing was kinda fun to build, I learned a lot because it’s my first custom mechanical. Hopefully I did a good enough job so it won’t fall apart.

I look forward to middles being available, so the PCB will be a little bit more protected from accidents.

The switches are zilent 62s and I love them. So quiet, but they feel so good.

I’m still getting used to the split space, it’s optional but I elected for it when I put this together, so I’d have more options.

I got this keyboard specifically because I like the layout, and it had most of the features (two speakers!) I want excepting RGB, but I don’t know yet how to enable the audio typing.

3 Likes

This is interesting. I’ve found the Klippe to have better sound and feel “out of the box” than the Tofu, and I’ve always attributed that to the weight difference, but your 2nd and 3rd updates make me wonder whether the story is more complicated.

1 Like

This is interesting. I’ve found the Klippe to have better sound and feel “out of the box” than the Tofu, and I’ve always attributed that to the weight difference, but your 2nd and 3rd updates make me wonder whether the story is more complicated.

Yeah, I think the story is a lot more complex. As recent update to Klippe page indicate, where and how extra weight is added seem to affect sound differently. Case material also seems to matter. Only one observation but I think acrylic depends much less on weight.

As to why extra layer of weights didn’t help, I suspect impact of extra weight may not linear but staggered. That and PCB touching weights.

1 Like

Got my first DIY kit from Zapcables for a detachable cable. Going Rose Pink para and white shrinkwrap to prep for my Magical Girl keycaps.

I also managed to actually assemble it without screwing up the connections on the USB-C finally.

2 Likes

This thing is impossible to photograph.

Salt Oak by TRMK Caps

3 Likes