What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I have to lube my Melons to test (phrasing?), but I don’t think they are not exhibiting issues to this extreme (in fact, in normal use, I don’t notice any issues).

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this! It looks like Dorp has reduced the Extended 2048 Alphas and I have a $10 credit with them so that + the Modifiers may be my reasonably-priced entry.

1 Like

Got some 5mm OD silicone O-rings for burger mounting some of my boards & also grabbed some more tips for my desoldering iron along with them. I got the O-rings particularly for trying a burger mount on my Meridian, which I am using like that right now. Can’t say it does much in this case, but be it placebo or real it does feel ever so slightly softer & it did shift the sound a little lower. So I’m gonna keep it like this for now.

8 Likes

From Kono:

• Speed Bronze clickies (got the right ones this time!)

From modDIY:

• Some 4mm M2 screws (typical for keeb cases) that I don’t quite remember ordering. I know I got them for a specific reason, but it must not be burger mounting because I would have gone for 5 or 6mm… ah the joys of tracing back one’s own logic over poor memory. :upside_down_face:

From Dangkeebs:

• Mallo tactiles
  • Mallo sticker
  • Bonus candycane
  • Someone there must know I love their stickers because I got a whole holiday trio! I especially like the Switch Witch.
9 Likes

Got my first GMK Set in… GMK Yuru but not sure yet if I want to keep it tbh. Gonna mull it over a bit.

15 Likes

I received my Tangerines and a bag of heavy springs today, both for my theme build I mentioned earlier.

9 Likes

Yuru is a beautiful set. If you choose to let it go, hit me up. I regret not jumping on board the GB.

I still haven’t unwrapped but I’ll hit you up if I decide to let it go.
I should probably open it up to look at the actual keycaps lol… For whatever reason I’m having some anxiety about opening it up.

1 Like

Finally caved & grabbed a set of DCS Sleeper, it came in today. Been wanting a OGish looking set with high compatibility forever. Was a little hesitant on grabbing this as I had heard quite a few people got sets with missing keys, thankfully mine was all good. The alpha colored tilde has a black bleed through on the left side of the cap so I’m gonna see if Dorp will replace that key. Other than that though I am very happy with the set! Putting DCS Toxic back on my 8X really got me wanting more DCS sets. For me there is definitely a place for thinner high quality caps like DCS. They can give a board a totally different sound compare to GMK.

18 Likes

With recent GMK sets having missing or duplicate keys, this isn’t a bad idea either.

1 Like

In natural daylight, do the mods look like the beige gray of OG Cherry doubleshots or closer to the gray of GMK Muted? I’ve seen pictures that lean to either end of that spectrum depending on the lighting, but it would be nice to confirm.

1 Like

Closer to muted, the pic of the set laid out I have up is pretty close to the IRL look. The pic on the board was done in very warm lighting from my lamp causing it to have the beigeish OG Cherry look.

1 Like

Buyee coming in clutch with my Christmas treat:

Realforce 108US - uniform 30g, all “white” (beige really) caps

grimy as a mofo but nothing that some elbow grease and Dawn can’t handle.

I may just keep this stock instead of gutting it for parts–unsilenced Topre is sloooowly growing on me thanks to my stock 23u. And here we are back to a full size boi which I haven’t seen since the start of the pandemic.

Can I just say Buyee/Mercari JP literally kicked the ass of every other GB I’m still waiting on? I bought this on the 11th!

19 Likes

I’m once again a resident of Topre Town. After an original run with a newer Hybrid Type-S, I’ll admit that I didn’t get it. I decided to give it another shot though and picked this up. Though I strongly aesthetically prefer it’s Ivory brother, the age made it something I didn’t want to pass up (11/08). It definitely needs a solid dose of TLC but I’m happy to provide that to return it to its rightful state. Even after just using it for a couple of minutes, I already really enjoy the sound of it more than I did before.

Because of its age, I’m going to try to keep the modifications to a minimum. The stabilizers are currently tragic so they’ll need to be tuned and lubed. Outside of that, I have a USB Type C controller coming from Hasu but that’s all I have planned for it. This is outside of my MX wheelhouse so I’m excited to expand my learning with this one. It’s already got me wishing I could try other Topre boards!

10 Likes

The stock stabs have been atrocious sounding on any & all Topre boards have tried, so that’s normal & nothing to worry about. They should clean up real nice with a good lubing!

2 Likes

Good to know! I figured its age probably isn’t helping matters any since anything applied when it was built has probably long since dried or deteriorated. But hey, the weird spacebar click is a learning opportunity! Hopefully this weekend I’ll be able to get it cleaned up and then I’ll do the controller and stabs in one go when the controller delivers early next week.

Edit: just did my morning check of the controller tracking and it went from a scheduled delivery of Tuesday to out for delivery! Guess I gotta get on my Topre stab lubing research!

1 Like

• FR4 & PC plates from Woo-chey
  • Olive & Pim!
  • A misprinted deskmat I like
  • Mystery switches >>> Box Royals :man_shrugging:
  • Gold Cap Yellows

The Caps came in a bag, and I don’t see any lube leakage - so Gateron must have done something about that. V1s would drip trace amounts from the bottom middle air port. :droplet:

Well, I’ve been meaning to do some experiments with leaf-swapping BOX switches, looks like I found my donors. 🪛

10 Likes

Novelkeys mystery switches - Box Navies
Tofu60 dark purple case
KBDFans 65% aluminum plate

First clickies in my collection. I played around with them for a bit and they are not terrible. I don’t think I’ll permanently mount them in any of my upcoming builds (tada68 and tofu60) but I might try for a themed build. I’m thinking something that has some “vintage” vibes. Welcome to any suggestions on that.

7 Likes

full set of DSA meant to live in the PC Grail that is coming.

side note: what’s up with these SP 6u spacebars?

second side note: does anyone know a good source for a GEC colored 6u spacebar with correctly placed stems?

3 Likes

Deep Navy arrived. It’s lovely.

11 Likes