What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I don’t have Rudy, but in this :3ildcat side-by-side, they practically look the same

3 Likes

I was trying to remember where I saw the comparison, lol. They look so close it’s crazy. I feel like GMK color matching has gone awry over the last year and a half. I wonder if it stems from designers getting sick of the back and forth of the matching process and just want to get the set queued up for the year long wait in line for production.

2 Likes

Some more clones. Aether PBT dye sub and black lotus ABS double shot. i’ve been daily using an ABS set by the same manufacturer for a month and they still don’t shine, so the material seems to be quite decent. Still need to get some GMK set some day to compare them.

4 Likes

The Aether clones are actually nicer than IFK Aether, which were of middling quality to begin with and ran with an odd font. The clones have a nicer cherry inspired font.

Stinks for the designer, but is good for the consumer.

The only reason to go with IFK would be the greater compatibility.

1 Like

NEC APC-H412 with NEC Blue Ovals. The switches feel smoother than, dare I say…Alps Blues!

Tulip ATK 03.01.44 with 2nd gen SMK inverse cross mount. Quite rough feeling switches, but their weirdness is the real charm. You can even use MX style switches as keycaps if you really wanted to.

Both are really awesome, kind of rare vintage keyboards. Early Christmas presents for me ehehe :slight_smile:

13 Likes

6u DSA SP spacebars are made for POS boards so they will not fit regular 6u spacebar unless modded.

I have a DSA Granite set on my novatouched HHKB Type S Hhkb dsa granite - Album on Imgur

I have modded the lateral stems as in the tutorial below :

3 Likes

Thanks I’ll give this a shot!

I think the disconnect between renders and outcome has been more common. It’s nice that vendors are showing photos (vs. renders) of R2 sets and extras, especially when in conjunction with a color checker.

Coincidentally, from what I’ve seen, color matching may be the most scientific/standardized step in the process of making a set. But I just read threads, so I also don’t have a full picture.

Launch creams from Novelkeys

I love the color. Photo doesn’t do it justice.

12 Likes

10 Likes

Got my POM half plate for my Jules in from GreenDoorGeeks today! I love how they include the middle section that gets cut out, could use it as a cool switch display or something I’m thinking. Jumped right on desoldering my Jules & managed to get it all finished in a couple hrs. Typing on it now, definitely gives the Jules a much softer feel & sound. Which is just what I was looking for!

As for the plate itself all the cuts were perfect & it even had the little cutouts on the bottom of the plate to allow the switches to properly clip in! The plate being cut properly, considering they cut the plate as a half plate for no extra charge, & managed to get the plate to me in under 2 weeks during the holiday crunch I have to say I am very impressed by these guys. If I wanted to nitpick the face side of the plate had a good bit of scratches on it, but they explicitly state they will come that way because the stock they use comes to them that way. All in all I am very happy with plate & would definitely recommend them to you guys!

14 Likes

GMK MODO r2 from Omnitype.

The accent keys are more teal then the photo. I like it, basic but versatile.
(I may have to try and get extras of spacebar and addition when extras are up).

12 Likes

Lol yeah they are. They are in a glass jar and I’m actually having a hard time deciding on whether to put them in a keyboard or just keep them on display.

Here’s an extremely yellow Gateron Cap to compliment the Launch Creams.

5 Likes

I received my cervello, a 40% keyboard sold by P3Dstore in group buy recently, really pleased with the project, and the built came out great, I’ve been loving the sound of Jake’s IMA (impact modified acrylic) recently, and the bright colors help accent the built perfectly!

11 Likes

plop labs ramen slurp deskmat, really hyped on this one since i sadly missed the future funk one. hopefully i can get that some day. and hoping for kiibu otaku deskmats to go out of IC. also got 4 of those big ajazz switches. still missing the kiwi and the lychee.

12 Likes

I got a pair of battery-powered keyboards in today! A white HHKB and Nuphy’s TES68 variant that @harrynu was advertising a few months ago.

Y’all have seen pics of the 25th anniversary HHKBs already so I’m just going to focus on the tester. I got the translucent yellow version to go with GMK Terminal and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the plastic actually has a rather green tint.

I’ll need to put quite a bit of work into making this thing sound decent (and I have to go and dig through my keycaps again since apparently I can’t remap it for my preferred layout) but I’m absolutely blown away by how good it looks considering it was less than $40 shipped.

11 Likes

where did you get those big switches owo

1 Like

When your keycaps cost 4x as much as the board!

Looks great. Mine arrived yesterday, but I’ve had no time to play with it.

1 Like

i got them from there, but it’s a random chance as to what color you will get. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003591410757.html

2 Likes