What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Hold on normally.

After one monthā€™s delay, gmk pixel arrived today. Also got a kara azur last night, so I put them together.

17 Likes

good pairing here! love it

2 Likes

Was out of my house for quite some time for construction so I have a lot things that are new to me today.

MG Fishing

These are very nice. I would probably estimate them just slightly nicer than SP caps. Theyā€™re that nice. Profile feels comfortable and familiar.

16 Likes

Was browsing right after my winter science exam and the cobalt sticker made me regret putting C on question 23ā€¦i knew it was A darn it

3 Likes

87u pcb (plate not shown) + GMK Pixel spacebars. kind of bummed the pink looks more red hereā€“the pink and purple look more paired with Laser colors than Hyperfuse/Sky Dolch. Which GMK spacebars do I need to buy for the latter sets?

6 Likes

17 Likes

I got two new keycap sets today, no clue what Iā€™m gonna put them on however >.>

7 Likes

The MiTo Struggle right here. Dude loves to advertise a pink and sell a red it seems.

2 Likes

MG1 Magenta & TU2 Cyan are the accent colors from Sky Dolch. Oco sells them both, but only has the magenta ones in stock now. ABS Spacebars ā€“ Originative

2 Likes

aw, this is a recurring thing?

Thank you for providing the GMK color codes! Is the purple in this Pixel set different than the purple for Hyperfuse Redux? The Cyan looks like it will work with Sky Dolch. I have Leopoldā€™s SS2 Sky Dolch and Hyperfuse Redux but no accent keys for either of these sets. Itā€™s been proving a bit challenging since the OCO accent kits for either of these have not been rerun in ages.

Just got my fingers on an MG set recently as well (Ghost). I agree with your assessment: to me itā€™s a ā€œbetterā€ SA do to the ridges on the edges of the face of the cap. Iā€™m sure for some SA lovers this would be a detriment but for me itā€™s a great adaptation of the Topre Hi-Profile caps. I havenā€™t had a chance to try an ABS MT3 set yet but Iā€™d be curious to put all three of them side-by-side and see which one I like best.

The compat is a little lacking in terms of finding properly ā€œlegendedā€ keys but the base kit should fit most boards.

1 Like

Reminds me of Zambumon and Yellow.

2 Likes

I own 15 SP SA sets, 7 Maxkey sets, 8 MT3, and 3 KAT sets. Hereā€™s my estimation:

TEXTURE
My favorite here is MT3 in doubleshot ABS. Itā€™s a nice texture without feeling too rough or dry. I would put SP and MG a close second, although very different from MT3. Both SP and MG are glossy, but I prefer MG. When I type on SP caps, I feel like they get a slight grip or stick to my fingers. MG is glossier and feels just a tad more slippery than SA. SP often has issues with swirling in the plastic, especially on larger keys. Iā€™m not seeing this on my MG set at all. Maxkey is similar to SP but a bit on the dry side. MT3 PBT and KAT are my least favorite for texture.

SCULPT
I prefer SP all R3. After that, I think MG and MT3 are a close tie. I might like MG the most, but time will tell.

LEGENDS
Hands down this goes to MG. They are perfect in my eye. SP is a close second. MT3 is really nice with itā€™s unique font in ABS. The thin type on my MT3 PBT caps is not my favorite. Maxkey is sometimes a bit off, too. My KAT sets have some pretty bad bleeding in the dye sublimation.

SOUND
I think they all sound similar. MT3 PBT and KAT might sound slightly different, but thereā€™s no huge advantage here for any profile.

10 Likes

I prefer matte feel over glossy, not just in texture but in perceived temperature, and recently discovered that micro-mesh can be used to give glossy keycaps matte feel. Also works well with rough textured doubleshot PBT keycaps.

2 Likes

which color micro mesh pad are you using? I might be willing to try it on a Maxkey set :slight_smile:

I used greenish-blue one (4000 grit) but havenā€™t tried others bc I satisfied with the result. Try others as well to fit your preference.

Not sure about yours but Maxkey keyset I have is close to matte already so havenā€™t needed to polish it yet. It still feels tad cold (distant?) to my fingers so I may give it a buff when I run out of things to do. Good luck with yours. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So @chono sold me their CU7 they recently received. The knob feels smooth, solid. The one negative about this unit is that the usb port is either poorly designed so the USB cable canā€™t get in deep enough for a secure connection or the port isnā€™t soldered well onto the board possibly.

Diving into QMK for the first time and the QMK CLI was a little tricky with resetting and troubleshooting it was stressing me out for a couple hours, but Iā€™m looking forward to unlocking more capabilities with QMK. =D

17 Likes

Yusya red switches. Switches are pretty average. Somewhat inconsistent feel, with some being rather smooth and some a bit less. Some have spring ping some donā€™t. And some haveā€¦ interesting spring noises, to say the least.

6 Likes

Atreus62_FT from falba.tech has arrived :slight_smile: Keycaps are on their way.

19 Likes