What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Combining a few things on this rainy Thursday. First, my Bob Ross deskmats from the group buy arrived. This was mostly a sentimental purchase - I’ve loved watching Bob Ross for years as a way to relax and I genuinely think his paintings are a great idea for a deskmat so I picked up a couple that I liked. Probably not everyday uses, but I really like them already.

Second, Cherry MX, no, wait. JWK Blacks. I’ve been curious to try these for a while and compare them to Cherry MX blacks so this is my opportunity. At first pass, my MX blacks definitely have a different sound signature than the JWKs but that’s probably largely in part to them also been lubed and filmed. The JWKs are extremely smooth though (perhaps as one should expect) so I’m looking forward to trying them stock and then potentially exploring lubing and filming them.

Last, after multiple years of using nothing but Cherry profile keycaps, I’ve finally gone outside of my bubble to try something else! I’ve mounted them on my Prophet since it’s my lowest profile board and am currently typing on them. It’s definitely a departure, but so far I like the change. Certainly much taller than what I’m used to but I like the sound signature, feel of the caps, and I feel like they were easy to adapt to. Leave it to me to stay in my bubble for far too long and then be surprised once I finally try something different.

15 Likes

That looks awesome! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Big mail day today. Accidentally ordered 225 jwick black linears, got 90 cherry hyperglide blacks, 90 gat ink blacks, some drop halo trues, some krytox 105, and a set of durock v2 stabs.

16 Likes

While I was away I got a handful of Cascade60 pcbs and I built my TX-60 with one. Until now, the only hotswap PCB supporting Tsangan and full backspace was the WT-60H, but it wasn’t in stock when I needed it. The Cascade has underglow, which I’ll need for another project.

So, long story short:

• ePBT Grand Tour (really hard for me to capture the colors accurately. These caps are not yellow. They are close to cream, but they have the slightest bit of peach tint to them. It looks really good in person with the rose gold case).
  • TX-60 Rose Gold with copper plate (first time built, but not technically new in the mail :slight_smile: )
  • Cascade 60 hotswap PCB
  • Gateron Yellow X switches. I should note, every single time I try to take off a stabilized key, the Gateron X switches come apart… the top pulls off. So I’d be extremely cautious using these in a board that didn’t all for swich top removal.

I’m going to have to try and capture this one in natural sunlight to see if I can get the colors more accurate.

20 Likes

Both thinner and shorter than expected :+1:

1 Like

Finally on the 23u train. For no specific reason, obviously. :upside_down_face:

22 Likes

Fun mail day;

• NK_ Taro

• Tecsee Carrots

• Durock Sunflowers

• GMK screw-ins to compare

• Cherry clone stabs to compare

• GameBoy inspired artisan cap

• Keeb Brush

• Not pictured: a bunch more jar stickers :3

11 Likes

Aforementioned stickers, now on jars:

• Carrots
  • U4Ts
  • Wilds (42g)
  • Blueberries
  • Taro Balls
  • (another “Wild” sticker for the 55g ones)
  • Koalas
  • Sunflowers
  • BOX Creams
  • Dark Ambers
  • Queens

Some closer photos:

Off with her head!

you heard what I said

I won’t go to bed!

…stupid sexy carrot

16 Likes

very creative :+1:

2 Likes

I laughed hard at the one on the Taro Balls

2 Likes

Sus

Would love to hear what you think about Domikey their SA

1 Like

Do you notice any keycap interference on the bottom row with the Tsangan north facing sockets?

2 Likes

Nope, all good.

2 Likes

Nice, thanks. I picked one up for my soon to ship hello [again] m0110. Figured I could test out what switches work best before I bust out the soldering iron on the included PCB. I think it will work for the thermal too (both with the jst port soldered on).

2 Likes

That’s what I’m using it for as well. Trying out switches in my TX-60 before I solder the included PCB :slight_smile:

2 Likes

exactly what I’m doing with my U80 too. Hotswap for now and probably will be until i try out a bunch of switches on the board. And then I’ll solder in what I think is ideal for me.

2 Likes

My hotswap boards (when not auditioning switches for a particular board) tend to house tactiles whereas most if not all of my soldered boards are linears. I have a habit of gettimg really excited for new/different tactiles, but tire of them quickly (or am at least fickle). Linears are dependable, lol.

5 Likes

I went and bought another HHKB since I decided it would be a waste to use the guts of the anniversary edition for a heavy grail. Freaked out a bit when their remapping tool said I couldn’t change this one, but then figured out you actually can do that by modifying a config file. What the hell, Fujitsu?

12 Likes

Silly right? Literally just change the JSON in the file to “remappable:yes” (or whatever it is exactly) and poof, key remapping.

3 Likes