What did you order or think about ordering?

So I did end up rebuilding my F2 with the oil kings on an FR4 half plate. And I didn’t love it. I think your observation is spot on when you say you need a little space inside of the case to facilitate Oil Kings sound. Also 65g is just too stiff for me.

So now I’m back to my 62g hyperglides on aluminum. I guess why mess with perfection?

1 Like

True. But then this is why even the most budget-minded of us end up with several boards…

1 Like

@donpark Feels like a good time to explore the wonderful world of Tribosys 3203/3204 on linears.

Just finished testing lighter lubes. From low to high in sluggishness:

North Pole (3203) < Oil King (205g0) << North Pole (3204) < North Pole (205g0)

So, if I want to get closest to Oil King lubed w/205g0 in sluggishness, 3203 is it. It’s higher pitched and rattlely though. It may offer a distinct sound in use. Won’t know til I try.

UPDATE: I lubed with 3203 and result was surprisingly decent. That said, I think North Pole’s mix of materials is a failed ‘experiment’. Oil King is clearly the better option.

2 Likes

Got the last Maja v2 in white and brass plate (PC was OOS). Thinking keycaps, I think I’m gonna use the Space Cadet II on it (or Frankenstein Serika).

This is how I plan to build it, give or take. I don’t have a whole Serika set for it, but it seems I can combine the Serika alphas, which I didn’t use on the U80 with some leftover mods from that set and get the rest of the keys I need from my Astronaught set, which has macro expansion among other stuff, which (all together) cost me as much as a single core Serika set.

Credit

6 Likes

Just ordered KTT Strawberries (my first KTT!) after reading:

and hearing sound tests. It sounds similar to other recent switches like Oil King and North Pole which I found myself enjoying lately. While Oil King hit the spot perfectly, North Pole needed to be mixed with Gateron KS-3 X1 Pro to sculpt the sound to my more liking.

As to vendor, I was able to find 5-pin version at Thock King in-stock and at normal price.

4 Likes

They are so stable and smooth. Another really nice thing about them is the 20mm spring. Pleasantly cushy on the way down without feeling heavy and snappy on the way back up. They were a bit too clacky stock, but with a nice thin coat of 205g0 they sound and feel more sophisticated. I guess I’ll find out how long the lube lasts.

1 Like

Likely due to its long-pole-ish stem. I actually like the sound a bit more defined which that stem should help with. With North Pole, I used Gateron KS-3 X1 Pro’s milky top housing made of PC/Nylon mix to give it more shape. Leftover frankenswitch was a tad too clacky but decent nonetheless.

I have found KTT Rose to also be extremely stable and smooth. They are an amazing budget option.

2 Likes

Not today but several days ago I ordered ‘gray’ Space Cadet set from 21kb. Satisfying sound and feel of thick well-made PBT keycaps have changed my perception such that worn GMK keysets now feel literally creepy which is why I’m getting this instead of GMK Space Cadet.

Only issue was 21kb informed me that ‘gray’ in their 3rd rev keysets slightly purple and offered $5 discount if I don’t cancel which I"ve accepted.

1 Like

I had signed up for LM60 GB but I didn’t find the payment request until today (spam folder). Made my payment and expecting it to arrive soonish.

While it’s a Sangeo60 clone of sort, I liked its simple style and the fact I can readily find plate and PCB for it. I’d have preferred a 7 or 7.5 degree case but 6.5 is not bad.

Color black. WK, I think I ordered POM plate with it. Planning to pair it use Instant 60 with it.

1 Like

Very, very early this morning but man I’m excited about it!

10 Likes

Wow, looks super nice. Let us know how it is!

1 Like

I am really looking forward to getting in on the next round. According to Frog he has 1600 in his warehouse and has ordered 500 more. So they should be popping up regularly. I was not impressed by the color selection this round. Purple was the nicest, but I already have too many.

Please post a mini-review when you get yours built!

Does anybody know if this will be available monthly-ish, kinda like the Frog TKL?

Ordered Akko POM Brown switches today. Relatively cheap version of NK Cream w/light tactile stem. I was tempted order a few hundred Wuque POM housings from Cannon Keys bc they’re generally good bottom housings for modding but decided to hold-off to wait for more reviews.

As to why, combination of full POM housing + long-pole light tactile stem + case w/7+ degree angle case seems to offer a very pleasant sound and feel to me. It’s low-pitched thocky sound with almost linear feel (legs have to be lubed for this) a tad more defined tactility at the top just a small step beyond what slow long springs offers.

NOTE: Your mileage may vary. I found that FLCMMK Ice Mint bottom housing with NK Cream top housing sounds lower-pitched than full NK Cream housing, full Ice Mint housing or NK Cream bottom housing with Ice Mint top housing. So I’m not certain if Akko POM Brown will bring same sound and feel as this frankenstein I found enjoyable. I found that POM housings are generally more useful in modding than other material housings so risk is low IMO.

2 vintage keyboards.
One NMB with grey space invaders. the listing didn’t say if they were linear, tactile or clicky, which is a shame, since these can come in all variations even with the same colors. But i would be fine with them either way.
And another one with SMK vintage linear with black long stem. I’m not sure if i want to keep them in the original keyboard or if i want to remove them and use them in a modern chassis.
I’m still debating if i should get PBTfans Resonance, some shenpo sets or OTC modo light/9009. Also still trying to get some Alps switches, preferrably in a vintage board with keycaps. But 99% of them are white alps and so i would have to linearize them.

5 Likes

I ordered a 1.0mm CEM3 Galatea PCB for my KFE CE and I’m really excited to try it out. I’ve been looking for a CEM3 PCB for a while and this one is thin af AND supports 10u PCB-mount stabs! :exploding_head:

I also joined DCS Alps WoB, it’ll be the perfect fit for my half-plate Green Alps build.

4 Likes

Got in on the XOX70 GB. Went with the burgundy :+1:

3 Likes

Got the PBTfans Klein Blue Katakana. It was just too good, better, and more unique looking than Striker IMO.

Base: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004799527724.html
Kits: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004799577577.html

12 Likes