What did you order or think about ordering?

I’ll definitely report back about them, but being honest I’m in the same camp as you TX stabs have been my go to since they came out. With them I feel like the softer plastic inside the slider makes a huge difference & the fact they still have a little play like Cherry clip ins is much more forgiving on PBT sets or any keys that might have a slight warp. I’m actually kinda worried about the new AP version since I heard they tightened up the tolerances. I personally have come to think stabs are much harder to work with & get them where you want them when they have tight tolerances. Look at Staebies, sure they sound & work good, but put a cap that isn’t perfectly straight with perfectly square cruciform mounts on it & it binds like nobody’s business LOL!

4 Likes

Thock thock thock! 2 packs of 0.7mm thockrings for less than 1 pack from Des. Unbeatable value!

2 Likes

So I’ve found there is an easy way to take these apart, but it’s a bit different than a typical stab.

If they’re fully-assembled, you’ll need to take the wire out first. Once the wire is out of the stem, there is a single small tab / protrusion at the front of the stem that keeps it in the housing. It nests into a rail in the front of the housing, and hits a small stop at the top. At first I needed small pliers to get them out but once I saw how they went together and got a little practice I was able to do it with just my hands: just pull up and wiggle a bit and that tab should clear the stop, releasing the stem.

Re-assembly is pretty normal and painless.

I decided to try mine dry - and I can’t say I recommend it more for QMX stabs than I would any other - which is to say not at all. Yes, they’re less rattly than the average set of bone-dry stabs - but they still rattle plenty without any lube. I think the real advantage these have is that they really cut-down on cap rotation, which is a pet peeve of mine.

6 Likes

I usually make and use my own designs, but:

• I wanted to see what a board from a reputable designer was like.
  • I wanted a TKL.
  • I wanted a Gondolindrim PCB :wink:
  • I wanted a board that uses standard TKL PCB dimensions (the Frog is also compatible with Hiney PCB), so that I can play with my own designed PCB in the future.
8 Likes

OOh, I have this same setup. Very happy with it! I think you’ll like it a lot. It depends on the switches you use, but if you don’t have a plate fork, it can be a bit tricky with the PC plate. Not too difficult, but tricky.

1 Like

I bought North Pole switches, wanted to try Oil Kings but none in stock …
No plate fork for me so I’ll have to be cautious with the PP plate, but I want to try the aluminum plate first to see how the board performs with all things metal in it :wink:

3 Likes

I ordered this consumer keyboard to mess with it completely mod it and achieve endgame. :smiley:

4 Likes

Today, I could no longer stand to type on the Filco in my ham shack with wobbly, soldered Cherry MX clears and MDA key caps.

So, I ordered a Keychron V3 knobless barebone in carbon black to replace it and give it my usual mod treatment. Luckily, I have SA keycaps on hand as well as plenty of Gazzew U4Tx switches. :smiley:

It’s amazing what this hobby does to one over the course of a couple months…

5 Likes

I now limit myself to 1 keyboard GB per year, and this year it’s the Derivative R1 silver clay hhkb. Recent VODs from Lightning and Alexotos heavily influenced my decision. Including extra pc plate and extra pcb.

6 Likes

Ordered nostyle’s Busy town R2 Deskmat and all 3 of Mascis Designs’ new Deskmat. Can never have too many.

6 Likes

I picked up an Ice Blue WK Ellipse.

@Rico I still don’t really understand how to order keyboards from Geon to the US.

There is no US or EU proxy, you have to directly order from Geon website in Korea, www.geon.works

1 Like

Raw switches; the Keygeek ones and the Haimu ones. Anybody know the origin of the name? I figure there’s some reason that two distinct yet similarly-colored switches came out with the same name around the same time.

Also those little Geon stab wire bending tools to supplement my one set of grooved pliers, and a couple more keyboard stands.

3 Likes

Went in on BOGO keycaps with a friend and picked up NicePBT Fbasic by Dedecline. This is based on the Famicom BASIC Keyboard, but with the red shifted toward pastel, a change I think will make it work with a lot of boards. These are nice, thick caps.

2 Likes

Bit the bullet & ordered 2 sets of the TX AP stabs. I was really happy with the last revision (rev.3) of them & am kinda hesitant these will actually be worse. Guess we’ll find out in a few days, I’ll be sure to report back on how they are!

7 Likes

I bought some too. We shall see. That plate fork is such a nice too to have. You’ll wonder why you didn’t have one before

4 Likes

I wasn’t done today, I guess. Just joined this for a purple 1.2mm CEM3 PCB and matching daughterboard to try a flexy build in the Ellipse some day…once it’s manufactured…and arrives… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ordered 3-stage springs and some Cherry Reds to use remaining RO-59 on.

• 4 TL530 (w/110 each) = 440 / 62 keys = 7.097 tsangan which is least wasteful.
  • Cherry Reds is for the remaining RO-59. Original plan to clean & reuse polished Blacks got impacted by a sudden rush of laziness and NovelKeys only had Reds left.

• Not sure why NovelKeys is not offering slower but cheaper mail service.
  • Same w/NovelKeys tagging on CA sales tax when they’re in West Virginia.
4 Likes

I was curious about the sales tax issue so I was reading a bit into how that works. It seems like prior to 2018, the sales tax was based on where the seller was located, but now it is calculated on the buyer’s location. Additionally, it seems like that out-of-state tax may only be applicable after a certain threshold of sales by the seller, but it’s a little fuzzy on how/when that threshold is crossed:

The use of the word nexus in the context of sales taxes refers to the state that you primarily sell from and your connection to the state. For example, you sell your products from a real space that’s located in Illinois. You have a physical connection to the state in the form of an office and a location from where you store and ship your products from.

Prior to 2018, the meaning of the word nexus had a different definition than it does now. A case known as S. Dakota vs. Wayfair made its way to the Supreme Court. The Court ruled that the original definition of nexus for the purposes of sales taxes wasn’t in keeping with online sales, and that online retailers were to charge sales taxes according to the buyer’s location. Prior to this ruling, sellers weren’t required to charge sales tax to out-of-state buyers because they weren’t in the same state at the time of the sale.

Now, all states have different definitions of a nexus. You, as a seller, may not be required to collect sales taxes because you don’t sell enough to reach a sales threshold set by the state. Other states collect taxes no matter how much or little you sell in that state.

source

4 Likes

So it’s my fellow Californian mechanical keyboard fans’ fault. :rofl:

2 Likes