What did you order or think about ordering?

A forum member was kind enough to give me a sample switch, and I completely agree.

Lord help me, I bought a GMK Handarbeit set from Novelkeys. I was only going to get some Cream+ switches and inserts. Why did I keep looking?!

5 Likes

Today I found what look to be the perfect shelves for my collection of jars; wall-mounted, 3" deep, and including a small lip.

I’m quite looking forward to being able to see my entire collection on the wall. :3 I’m super excited because I’ve been wanting to do this since I moved.

9 Likes

I’m hoping to do something similar this weekend. I had bought an Ikea picture ledge a few months back, but I’m just now getting around to installing it properly with toggle bolts. Our walls are old plaster and lathe and my first impatient and overly optimistic attempt to mount the shelf failed. :expressionless:

Post some pics when your project is completed!

4 Likes

I was going to try and make a bigger version of this IKEA shelf…but I fear it was a bit ambitious…it’s stuck in the “planning phase” :wink:

2 Likes

Sample packs of various Topre dome replacements. Trying to figure out what will be ideal for me on this FC980C!

3 Likes

Can’t wait to hear what you will end up with. 980c such a workhorse layout.

2 Likes

Yeah, not my favorite layout (it’s me, I’m the jetfire/blackbird layout fan) but really high up there (certainly my favorite available layout for Topre). Excited to figure out what I dig since Topre stuff is all new to me!

I’ll also need to start looking at keycap replacements/remapping stuff since I’d like to get easier access to Home and Print Screen for work reasons. Hoping those Ursa caps can cover my needs when they get to production :face_in_clouds:

1 Like

I believe 1up has hasu for 980c. Could also go for yang BLE.

2 Likes

Fn+i for print screen. I feel you about caps. I just put whatever I feel like and end up remembering the shortcuts I need per board, but it’d actually be nice to have the right profile/right legend made natively for EC stem

1 Like

980c best boy.

11 Likes

Beautiful boards!!!

Falling further down the MX Black rabbit hole, I’ve just ordered some RO-59tmKT lubricant and some Vertrel XF (a solvent for removing Krytox). I’m looking forward to trying some new things :relaxed:

I also ordered a POM Alps plate for my Tiger 80 Lite. Karolus added an MX+Alps cutout on F13 so I can use MX novelties on that build, what a legend.

Side note: I built the Tiger80 with Jwick yellows and no foam and it’s the worst-sounding build I’ve ever done :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I think the foam changes the sound a lot. I have some stock Gateron FEI switches (with no lubrication from the factory) in mine, and it sounds pretty nice. But… I have ALL the foams in it. :crazy_face:

Top to bottom: Plate > plate foam > switch foam > PCB > Case foam > Tape mod. Quite the stack.

2 Likes

I’ve shifted to using poly-fil mostly. Beside having a unreasonably large bag of the stuff, it sounds nice. Only issue is manageability so been thinking about using some easy-to-remove double-sided tape to keep them in-place which would allow me to fill out corners better.

8 Likes

Not really today, but I recently ordered my first custom-cut plate from HypeKeyboards; a POM one for the Portico.

It’s mostly a test, A.) to see how POM sounds and feels in either Portico chassis and B.) to make sure the plate file I have is good. If it is good and the plate works with either version, I’ll probably have a small stack of either FR4 or alu plates made.

Why? Because I’m looking to have consistency for my large project of recording 100+ switch sets in the same keyboard, and my current plate is just about toast. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

What do you mean by toast? switch cutouts don’t hold the switches anymore?

Yep.

A few slots have a loose grip with some switches, especially 3-pin ones. If the switches are on the loose side, I can nudge a few out of place by pushing back on the front face of the key

I’ve been swapping switches in it almost weekly for at least a year, so I feel like it’s doing pretty good, all things considered. If I go with aluminum for the testing plate I might only need one, maybe two - but if I go for FR4 I’d probably stock-up like three or four for the whole project.

3 Likes

HypeKeyboards is where I get my FR4 plates because I’ve been happy with their sound but haven’t tried their POM plates yet. Their FR4 has inconsistent grip issue as well but never as bad as the problem you’re running into. Issues aside, I think using same plate for testing as boards in use is sensible.

1 Like

I hope for your sanity’s sake that you have a switch fork handy. I don’t think any keyboard project has ever frustrated me so much as swapping switches using a POM plate. Good news is that they sound great!

1 Like