What do we know about the Gazzew Boba U4 switches?

I love this forum, thank you

3 Likes

Meanwhile I have tried a halo stem from my switch samples in a Boba housing and I must say it is probably the most crisp tactical feeling. The feeling is a bit more rounded than with Zealios and less stem wooble as well as better sound.

I immediately ordered 110 Halo trues because I want to build a board with Holy Bobas.

2 Likes

Lol, I need to get around at some point to creating some Holy Bobas with the 60 or so Trues I have lying around. How are you lubing them, and what spring weight if I may ask?

I have no experience with lubing them yet. After the arrival of the Halo Trues I will try it with tribosys 3203 and 3204 (with and without leg lubing) and report.

Spring weight I tried the default 68g (a bit too heavy for me), 60, 62 and 65 tx springs and the slow curved/longer springs from gateron yellow. I liked the slow curved spring the most, that’s why I want to get my hands on some 63.5g slow curved sprit springs.

3 Likes

Yes! I have some 63.5 Spirit HPs, and they are pretty nice.

1 Like

So I’ve started building U4 variants.

You can see the pink Holy Boba. That whole row is 68 G Progressive Spirit.

It turns out that 68 P is a great weight for Holy Boba, as is 63.5. 68P is robust, but gentle, and 63.5 is easy. I also tried 60 G TX, but it was kind of crap. It worked, but the tactile bump was huge because of the lighter spring weight.

The Pro Purple stem seems to work fine, but I haven’t tested it in a board yet.

The clear leftmost one is a 68 P Silent Sky stem in the Boba housing, and the rightmost is the U4 stem with that same weight. I’ll let you know findings from testing.

4 Likes

I keep trying other stems in these housings, but I’ve yet to find something that surpasses the unique character of the boba. Hard to explain unless you use them. Hard to understand from just switch samplers, too. Let us know if you find something amazing.

3 Likes

So far the only stem I’ve found worth-it is the Halo / Polia.

2 Likes

How about Polio… wait… nevermind let’s not

7 Likes

I’ve been using these switches again and man they feel really good. I haven’t tried that many tactiles (only tried Zealios v2, Koala, and Durock T1, but these are my favorite tactile and probably favorite feeling switch when even including linear switches.

1 Like

That’s what I would like to ask.

What’s the word on the clear Boba U4? Any noticeable differences compared to the classic, cream colored ones?

Are you refering to the RGB version with the clear top?

Somebody created a hybrid switch with Boba and Zilent:

Apparently it’s smoother and quieter or whatever.

3 Likes

This makes sense to me. I mean the silencing pads on the U4/boba stem are huge. They made my Zilent seem super loud when I went back to them.

The Zeal housing is the interesting part. I was not expecting that to make the Boba quiter.

1 Like

Yes.

It’s the same as the regular U4 bobas. The top housing is just clear to let light come through. Since they share everything else it’s the same switch (I have both since I have both rgb and non-rgb boards).

2 Likes

I would have to disagree with this poster’s take. Personally, no amount of lube can make a Zilent V2 sound or feel better (holy scratch Batman!). And a stock Boba U4 is way smoother and quieter than a freshly lubed Zilent. The only chance a Zilent has is if it heavily worn in. Honestly it’s hard to compare or quantify each of their “tactility” as the “shape” or feel of it is different. With my perceptions, if I had to pick one that feels more “tactile”, it would be the Boba since it feels snappier.

TL;DR
Zilent bad, Boba mmmmmmmmm.
Also, to each their own.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s an elaborate ploy to sell more Zilents … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Do you lube your U4 Bobas? I’m thinking of a Silent build, and I’m either going to go with Silent Sky Clears or 62 G U4 Bobas.

2 Likes

I tried a few with different types of lube with different amounts applied (from very thin to moderate), and every one made the switch feel as if the travel was reduced for some reason and took away the snappy, bouncy typing experience for me (I don’t mean sharp by saying snappy). They are already pretty dang silent and smooth for a silent tactile, so besides lubing the springs (65g TX 14mm in them right now) the stock experience is great (this is coming from someone who has lubed every switch in prior builds).

2 Likes

Boba U4s don’t need to be lubed, IMHO.