What do we know about the Gazzew Boba U4 switches?

Has anyone tried lubing the spring only?

Alright, got to try out Zilbas or whatever these are now.

It’s funny. Today I came across a post elsewhere from 4 months ago where someone different spontaneously discovered the same switch. They came up with a completely different name for it [Zobas?]

In response to you and @APC-7, I seem to recall the Bobas partly being pitched as something that doesn’t require much or any lubing. Being smooth from factory.

With the U4 Bobas, that’s actually kind of true, of course. Gazzew said to lube the springs, and provided lube for it. It’s true, you should definitely lube the springs.

If you’re using 62 G or higher and lube the springs, you should be okay for sound and smoothness. The Bobas don’t seem to benefit from lube as much as some other switches.

@fatalruin, I see you are using 65 G TX. That is one of my favourite weights. I am using the normal [non-long, non-short] springs that came before the length variations. I guess that’s 14mm? How does it compare to 62 G stock Bobas?

1 Like

The springs I’m using are also pre short/long designation, but I believe you are correct in that they are the 14 mm shorter spring. They feel kind of how one may imagine where they slightly increase the pressing force (which isn’t uncomfortable), and the return force (which is a bit snappier as a result). The tactility seems the same, but I like the 65g on the spacebar over the 62g for better return. The main reason the TX springs are in them is that I bought the 68g Boba versions by mistake and they were too heavy with the bump profile. I was able to compare the 62g however because I had a handful of samples. I also tried the TX 62g 16 mm or long springs which felt similar in pressing force to the stock 62g, but accentuated the bump a bit more (I planned on swapping those in, but haven’t gotten around to it as of yet). All that being said, if had to do it all over, I would just grab the stock 62g Bobas and put a heavier spring in the spacebar switch.

I did just get in some 62g U4 Thocks which feel great overall, but without the bounciness that the silicone dampeners provide on the silent switches, the 62g spring doesn’t return the stem with enough force for me. It has that feeling of a BOX Jade to me where it gets stuck below the bump/click bar if I don’t intentionally lift my fingers completely off the switch which slows me down. When I get a chance I’ll try some other spring weights and compare them to some other tactiles that I own as well – I have high hopes for them.

2 Likes

This is very fascinating, thank you.

If memory serves, the 65 G TX was good in my U4 Bobas, and not much heavier than the stock 62 G springs. 65 G TX is a good spring, although like you I thought there isn’t a compelling reason to go with 65 if 62 is available.

Currently, I’m experimenting heavily with the Silent Sky stems, rather than U4. Although I’m about to get some lubed U4 and Silent Sky samples in the Bobas housings. I am really interested in seeing how light a tactility-reduced U4 Boba can go, and also the Silent Sky, while still actuating well.

The Silent Sky showed the “Silent Ergo Clear” is a good concept, just a little hard to execute. The U4 is basically a “Silent T1.”

WRT to your 62 G Thocks, yes I find that low weights are problematic on those ‘big tactile’ switches. I went with 63.5 Spirit for my Holy Panda samples, and it was good. You might want to try that as a minimum weight. 68 G Progressive also worked well with Halo stems, although not so much with the Pro Purple or even U4 and Silent Sky stems in the Boba housing.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried the silent sky stems, but that sounds cool. I don’t necessarily like “big” tactility, but I do prefer a rounded bump or a swell in the press over a sharp tactility of any size as those switches just feel crunchy when typing at speed. Now that you mention it, I do have some Thick Thock MP 68g springs that I could try (I didn’t like them in linears but might do the trick here).

2 Likes

Yeah, 68 G regular is recommended for the Silent Sky stems in the Boba housing because the housing increases tactility, necessitating a higher weight.

However, you can get away with the Progressive variant of 68 G springs with Halo stems in the Boba housing.

I have been typing on this switch for a while. There are a couple of things that I noticed and i wanted to see if anyone else noticed the same thing:

1. High friction movement. This is difficult to describe because it doesn’t feel scratchy… just high friction. Almost as though the spring weight is heavier than 62g except that the tension doesn’t ramp up high an the bottom of the stroke.
  2. Every once in a while it sounds like the silicon bumper is getting “flicked”. I hear it randomly on different switches.

Any one that has purchased this switch experience the same thing?

3 Likes

Definitely. This is a good way to describe it. I think this is from the leaf, which seems to have two properties outside the bell-curve:

• it pushes pretty hard against the stem to increase tactility (which might make it a little more lube friendly?)

• it’s extra thin, which I think makes the friction easier to feel / more obvious

As for the flicking - maybe? Could you describe the sound a little more, or maybe when it seems to happen during key-travel?

2 Likes

Yeah, I think the best way to describe is the sound when someone flicks their finger. I would say it happens midway through the keystroke (maybe right when the switch actuates… not that sure), and it’s random. The same switch doesn’t always make that noise.

There is a good chance that you haven’t heard it yet since the switch is so quiet. But when you do hear it you will know. These characteristics might change and become imperceptible after a solid long break-in period but I might not hit that optimal break-in period with these switches since I probably won’t use them in my daily driver.

Gotcha. I wonder if that might also be down to the leaf one way or another - I’ll definitely be listening for it next time I use them to see if I can figure it out.

Just a small note.

MX Brown stems fit just fine in the Boba housing. I tried it at several weights.

The housing seems to make the stems more tactile. So they’re pretty ‘crunchy’ at various 55 and 57 G weights.

I didn’t enjoy those weights very much, but maybe with better lubing they would be okay.

It did function well at 60 G TX. That might seem a little more than necessary for Browns, but the housing does increase the tactile noise.

62 Spirit wasn’t an improvement over 60 G TX. Maybe 62 G TX would be better.

I have read about people using MX Browns in the Boba housing, producing a more tactile Brown. I just don’t know what setup is ideal.

3 Likes

I have a bunch of Browns hanging around, I just might put some together!

1 Like

Let me know how it goes!

I haven’t quite succeeded in making an ‘improved’ Brown out of Bobas.

New update. I took the stem from a boba switch and put it in a moyu black housing. That high friction movement feeling is gone. So I’m 100% confident that the sliders (maybe both the top and bottom?) is what is causing it. The leaf is probably making a contribution as well, but i don’t think it is much since I tried moving the stem in just the bottom housing. And I feel more resistance when I move the slider in the top part of the housing than the bottom.

When I put the moyu stem in the boba housing it’s definitely high friction. One thing that occurred to me is that lubing could have made this worst! If the tolerances on the sliders is really tight that might contribute to the stem feeling like it’s moving through a thick viscous fluid.

4 Likes

I got some milky top bobas U4 and can’t find any feeling or sound difference with clear top U4…

It could be just that I’m not experienced enough though.

You shouldn’t be able to tell the difference (unless you have sensitivity like no other human). They are the same switch molded to the same tolerances etc. Just the clear top is made from polycarb for RBG boards.

I don’t have the milky ones to compare but i finally got around to throwing my clear-top Bobas in my hotswap 60% that I use for testdriving new switches. I like them very much! I was a bit sceptical that the buffered bottom-out would feel strange. It does, but I in a good way. I think these will go in my polite video conference keyboard. :smiley:

4 Likes

Is there a difference in sound with the clear and pearl tops?