What is on your desk today?

I also have one of those DSI boards. It’s reasonably nice for the price it goes for nowadays, but I was disappointed that the space bar is a nonstandard size, so you are limited with what you can do to replace the keycaps.

Those DSI boards aren’t that bad tbh. I rebuilt mine with Ergo clears and I vinyl wrapped the plate for more of a thudded sound. It turned out pretty well!

Typing sounds here:

5 Likes
5 Likes

Topre getting some well deserved vitamin D

9 Likes

Grid 600 with GMK Solarized Dark, Gateron Inks, lubed with 65g TX springs is currently in the rotation.

14 Likes

I really like this idea of using tire balance weights to raise the weight of keyboards with plastic cases. Seems as if props for this idea go to this video of Walker’s Keyboard Science.

Wanted to use that idea for my (not yet built) TKC 1800.

They’re though not that easy to get online in the big online shops. And they’re way more expensive than I thought. Around $8 to $11 for only 40g to 65g tin or 120g lead. I thought I could pack about 1kg of lead in there for maybe 20 bucks or so. But with these prices 1kg would be quite expensive…

And unfortunately the lead variant seems currently unavailable in those two online shops where I at least found them.

Maybe I should ask my car mechanic where one can get them at more reasonable prices or with bulk discount.

EDIT: I just need to look in online shops which are specifically for car mechanics and I get those things for less than $5 per kilogram. That’s more the price I thought off. :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow, Solarized dark goes perfectly with that top part & really pops with the case color! Very nice bud!

2 Likes

Thanks! At some point I’m going to try Modo on there too. I think it might work too

1 Like

Yep. Got the idea off him.

5 Likes

Wow, never uploading from my phone again… :roll_eyes::unamused:

1 Like

Took too long? Or because the images are rotated by 90° and you didn’t notice it on the phone?

Lol, yah! And they were out of order :smirk:

I thought there was a reason for not using ledd in keyboards. :thinking:

Noxary T60 with ePBT Slate is on my desk today. Sorry for the poor phone pic quality.

9 Likes

The accent colors are remarkably vivid, despite the phone pic!

I have a skylight above my desk and the daylight really makes the colors glow on my phone.

1 Like

While I optically like the Vortex Tab90M’s stock VSA Dolch key cap set, I had issues finding keys just with the fingers due to the non-sculpted, DSA-like key cap profile in combination without any gaps. So I recently replaced it with the colorwise similar Git kit of GMK Oblivion to see how it feels with the sculpted Cherry profile. Details in the discussion thread linked above.

Here’s a potato shot¹⁾ of it on my home-office desk where I’m using it for about two days²⁾ now:

You can slightly recognize the “haptic wall” I mentioned in the other thread about the issues I’m having with this 95% layout (linked above; detail picture there, too).

So while I’m not too happy with that type of layout, I still like its looks and especially the case: It’s similar to the Vortex Race 3 and Vortex Core cases (thin aluminium bezels of a tub-like case), but with two non-obvious differences: It’s slightly angled (just a few degrees, maybe 3°) and much heavier, probably because the inner bottom of the case is slanted, too, and it’s massive aluminium below that.

Also seen in the picture (and permanent residents³⁾ on my desk):

Footnotes
  1. I’ve put a brighter LED lamp in the ceiling light⁵⁾ since the old one went out of order yesterday, so I now at least can take pictures there which don’t always look dark. :smiley:
  2. I seem to have never changed my daily drivers as often before as during the COVID-19 lockdown. :smiley:
  3. Actually the Tab90M is a permanent resident on my desk, too: Before, it just was sitting between the actually used keyboard and the screen and not being used for the reasons mentioned above.
  4. <rant>Vexatious because only being available in wireless with the known to be insecure Unifying protocol despite needing a USB cable for charging anyway. And because Logitech refuses to fix still open security issues.</rant>
  5. Compared to my recent other keyboard potato shots in the same place.⁶⁾
  6. Had to put this in a footnote to have a reason to put footnotes in footnotes. :crazy_face: RIP Sir Terry Pratchett. (SCNR)
5 Likes

Specs:

• kbdfans.com KBD75v2 kit:
    • PCB
    • Brass plate
    • Machined aluminum case - top dark-gray, bottom light-gray
  • Zeal Zilent 65g (most keys), 62g (modifiers), 67g (spacebar, enter, backspace)
  • Lubed Zeal gold-plated screw-mount stabilizers
  • Keycaps: Domikey SA Atlantis (doubleshot ABS)
  • Customized QMK firmware:
    • Keybindings for ChromeOS special keys
    • Use RGB underglow as caps-lock indicator
    • Bound some unicode glyphs to FN layer combinations
    • Added some custom LED animations
6 Likes

Dang that’s like “totally not calm depths”

Nice looking build though, looks pretty sweet and I bet it feels great.

On the desk today: Leaf 60 with Gat yellows (milky) and MT3 Serika. I’m really loving the ‘typists’ kit.

14 Likes