What is on your desk today?

Been so nice to go back to my good ol Planck for in the go use.

12 Likes

Pwnage Ultra Custom Ergo or something. There’s a symmetrical version as well.

1 Like

That’s a beauty !

Sick. Is that copper I spot?

1 Like

You know it!

1 Like

FL-Esports FL980 three-mode, hot-swappable RGB (wireless) with Boba U4 Silent Tactile switches. I’ve been typing for well over thirty years (always just using whatever was available/nearby for keyboards). Although not my first mechanical keyboard, unbelievably it is my first custom/modified keyboard. I don’t think it will be my last.

14 Likes

It looks great! Good to see the extra keycaps set matches your original one so well.

2 Likes

I can’t help but think of these:

I especially like the “[ > < ]” key.

5 Likes

LOL, yes. The shade of orange isn’t my first choice but just starting out, it was what I could find that was orange, backlit and ultimately had modifiers. I would say Hugger orange would be my first choice (old Chevy orange color) but tough to find in keycaps. And the >< was more for right sizing. My brain will magically know it’s zero. :slight_smile:

Edit: This is a nice orange in the Keyboards spotting thread: Keyboards spotting - #11 by voodoo6k

1 Like

There aren’t too many higher-end sets with orange, but I can think of one that uses it as an accent color, and the profile isn’t super different from that vintage terminal in the keeb-spotting thread;

SA 1965 - this is actually the keyset that pulled me into the custom side of the hobby. I already had a basic Amazon rando board and loved it for the clacks and typing feel, but the renders for this set on various boards including the then not-yet-extant Kira blew my mind a little bit.

I still kinda regret not going for the numpad and tsangan kits that would let me mount it on a 96% like this; IMO that’s where SA looks the best.

Anywho - orange is definitely an under-served color in premium sets, but there are splashes of it here and there, and '65 is probably my favorite example.

11 Likes

Indeed, orange keycaps tend to be quite underserved in premium sets - I suppose it’s due to how loud they can look. I concur that SA sets look best on larger boards that have more keys to showcase the keycaps.

Off-hand, I can recall some of these keycaps that have orange colors

GMK Citrus

GMK Forge (formerly Burnt Orange)

SA Carbon

GMK Skidata

7 Likes

It’s like the universe heard us talking about the lack of chonky orange keysets - new IC posted today:

[IC] SA AFK

Certainly not all orange - plenty of salmon and cool-mint going on in there, too - but that’s the most orange I’ve ever seen on an SA set, so that’s something.

7 Likes

There a maxkeys set: https://kbdfans.com/products/maxkey-sa-grey-and-orange-keycps-set

2 Likes

switching it up

10 Likes

Threw DCS Toxic on my Jules to see how it sounded & felt with this set up (L=F Gat ink reds on a top mounted brass plate, no foam). Overall I am pretty happy with those aspects, to me using a thinner light keycap on stiffer setups allows me to keep from bottoming out as much. Plus I like the higher pitched, poppy sound profile they give. What surprised me though is how nice Toxic goes with the Ouro case color. I was expecting it to look pretty bad TBH, but I kinda like it now that I seen it! Shame I don’t have the keys for full 65% compatibility, although I guess I should be happy I do have keys in the right color & row profile to make it work given the age of this set.

9 Likes

19 Likes

Very nice. Mitsumi or Alps mounts?

1 Like

Is this a prototype? I’ve seen 2-3 14.5u PCBs go to IC on Geekhack but I’ve yet to see one make it to group buy!

Finally finished @peejeh’s lovely through-hole kit, the Lumberjack.

I’m A/B testing sculpted (Laser) v. uniform profile (Grid) keycaps to see which I like better :slight_smile:

Either way, it’s a such pretty board and a much improved ortho experience over the Preonic!

Build Deets:
– 67g Tangerines L/205g0 F/Deskeys
– Navy C³Equalz X TKC Screw-in Stabilizers
– Ultramarine Klippe T R4

18 Likes

Nice! I see the PCB sits a little higher from the case edge than the Tofu, you might be able to align the component cover with slightly shorter standoffs although the C3 capacitor is the limit to how low you can go.

The grid caps look great but I’m not sure I could type on uniform blanks.

2 Likes