What is on your desk today?

I definitely experienced this with something I was trying the other day - I think I’d swapped some long spring from a Tecsee into a JWK housing (which has a higher “floor” inside / compresses the spring more), and the spring would actually compress fully just before bottom-out - making for a strange, almost dampened, kinda mushy feeling (totally aside from the crunch factor).

2 Likes

Swapped the keycaps on my frog recently.
DCS Red Alert R3
DSA Spacebar
DSA 2x2 key
DCS PANIC
Cherry topped jwicks on alpha area and stock jwicks on nav&frow.
Alu plate

11 Likes

Tecsee Purple Pandas on my NK65EE

11 Likes

that’s the dealbreaker for me.

First post here. Built this dark grey Parallel 65% Sequence with an FR4 plate, Techno Violet switches (long pole mmm), TX clip in Stabilizers, tape mod, and a thin layer of foam in the bottom of the case. Keycaps are EnjoyPBT G81-SAV.

18 Likes

Actually, this has been on my desk for a while. I kept to myself until now, because
Project URSA was still under wraps.

This is a prototype of a case for 40% Ortho’s. I’ve been switching my Planck and BM40 PCB’s at times.

22 Likes

This is looking great !!!

1 Like

Thank you. It draws inspiration from the Dasher Keyboard. Currently, it’s only an FDM proto.

1 Like

Preview of coming attractions…

Edit: realised I’d put this in the wrong place. Pics of the new Vortex boards are in the Mail thread…

7 Likes

I scored a castoff, nearly pristine Model M from the Harvard physics department. Didn’t get the UK ISO one I wanted, but this is almost as good. I’ll give the caps a nice soak tonight. I’ve been using it all morning to test it.

17 Likes

Nice build. How are you liking the gummy o-ring mount and the board in general? Is it your first board with this type of mounting style?

Although being some of the most budget switches I’ve tried, undoing Gateron’s poor attempt at machine lubing made these absolute work to keep them stock smooth without being drenched in cheapo leftover lube.

With stubby 78g springs, the short pretravel makes the typing feel stiff and snappy.

4 Likes

Yeah this is my first gummy o-ring board, I only have a Keychron k2, Keychron q2, leopold fc660c, and now this sequence. I really enjoy the ease of popping the whole thing out easily to do mods. But that also has some downsides, like if I go to pop a keycap off on one of the corners and the switch pops out, the o-ring quickly fills up the space where the switch would go and it’s nearly impossible to put the switch back in without having to take the entire assembly out and re-gummy the thing. So it has its ups and downs.

Actually just put my carbon fiber plate in it instead of the FR4, and also added some KBDfans modular foam in between the PCB and plate. Now it’s a muted marbley monster and I love it.

1 Like

Brought the work board home for a tune-up and facelift using a new case and a CRP r4 mishmash. New look feels very seasonally appropriate!

18 Likes

I find the symmetry to be most pleasing.

4 Likes

Haha thanks! that’s one of my favorite elements of the board and something I agonized over when choosing the caps lol

This counts as both a what did I get in the mail recently (which I’ll post over there), and a what is on my desk now:

So, I got the Mengmoda keyboards (I bought 2, one in white and this one) a couple of weeks ago. Thought I was getting something new, but it turns out it’s the same as the Feker Dopokey (same PCB and firmware), just the case is styled different. Not complaining, I like the brass accents, just wish there wasn’t a screw in the side plate. (Sorry about the hair in the photo.)

And, last but definitely not least: I finally received my order of Zealio’s Clickiez. First impression: I love the sound of them. I was worried that the force was going to be too much for me, but so far it hasn’t been an issue. Only thing that is kind of strange is it feels like my fingers are falling off a cliff after the tactile event…I may (or may not) get used to that in time.

7 Likes

I’ve been trying the DK Oni switches last night and today, and I am liking them so far. Long-pole linears aren’t my very favorite style, but I’ve enjoyed plenty of them, and I’d definitely include these among the more pleasant I’ve used so far.

@leemu I’m using them in my Portico (which is foam-mounted with an FR4 plate) with PBT Cherry profile caps on them. Some initial impressions; I don’t have any Salmons, but I do compare it here with a Carrot (another Tecsee long pole linear with a PME housing instead of HPE):

• Quite smooth. Not as revolutionary a feature as it used to be, but no less appreciated. Comparable in smoothness to the Carrot.

• Slightly less top-wobble than the Carrot, and what top-wobble it does have has a more clean feeling; more plastic nudging against itself than rattling like with the Carrot.

• Pitch is pretty high, but they don’t strike me as harsh sounding. Compared side-by side with a Carrot, the pitch and sharpness are lower.

• The bottom-out feel is clacky as expected, but less hard and harsh than the Carrot; I think pretty much all the differences boil down to HPE being a softer blend than PME.

• How loud they are will depend on how you type and what you mount them in, but generally I’d say these are less loud or at least make sound at a less harsh set of frequencies than the Carrot. Definitely clacky, but at least in my Portico the seem pretty moderate when it comes to noise. I don’t think you’ll be annoying anyone down the hall, but someone with sensitive hearing in the next cubicle might notice.

• Just like the Carrot (and many other Tecsee switches) there’s some spring-wiggle component to the sound. It’s pretty mild, though, and is less towards the forefront of the sound compared with the Carrot - again likely owing to the softer plastic.

Disclaimer: I’m mainly talking about the bottom-out impact sound when I say “higher pitched” or “deeper”, acoustics be complicated af, it’s all relative, YMMV, etc.

Mixing parts:

I was about to say “I think these are quite good but they don’t impress me quite as much as the Blue Sky Stars - it would be interesting to see how these housings do with an UHMWPE stem like those” - and then I realized I could just put a Diamond / Jadeite stem in there - so I did.

Welp - I can tell you I like both stock Diamonds and Oni more than either stem-swapped example. Diamond UHMWPE stem in the Oni HPE housing is fine if kind of underwhelming compared to the Blue Sky Stars; those could possibly be a different blend or shape. Some slip-stick on off-center presses.

The Oni stem in Diamond housing tip-toes into too tight territory - there’s basically zero wobble, but there’s some friction and slip-stick to go with that.

Doing a different swap with just the bottom housing switched turned out better, though I’m not sure it’s worth doing as the final results are pretty similar to the originals.

The Oni-bottom Diamond is smooth but it also looses much of its signature sound, and its spring is much more audible through the HPE vs the polycarb.

The Diamond-bottomed Oni gains a deeper bottom-out sound from the polycarb material, but looses just a hair of its original smoothness. If Tecsee doesn’t already make a PC-bottom long-pole linear, well - maybe they should. I could recommend buying those a lot sooner than I could recommend buying two whole sets of switches to get them.

8 Likes

Trying out my new lights.

I definitely have a lot to learn, but no longer feel at such a deficit when it comes to this particular tool.

Keeb:

KBD67 lite

• GMK Prepress
  • Smokey grey case
  • Bluetooth PCB (YD67BLE)
  • TTC Silent Bluish Whites
  • C3 Equalz V3 stabs w/ mods
  • Bottom silicone added
14 Likes

The Tecsee Carrots do have some kind of rattly sound, mainly the stem hitting the housing, not all switches has them but enough do.
Are they lubed? maybe lubing them might migate this annoying sound.

Also, do you find that the KBD67 Lite’s silicone add-on interfere with closing the case? the silicone piece I got presses against the PCB a bit when closing the case.

1 Like