What is on your desk today?

You weren’t kidding about the typing angle! I got curious and found the keyboard in this epic promo video.

1 Like

Built my Devastating TKL today.

This was the bundle that included a random color PC case, stabilizers, switches, a carrying case, and keycaps for just $125.

This is a white PC case. The switches are Jwick yellows. The keycaps I got were nicePBT Grayscale. I have them on another board so it’s shown here with GMK sky modo.

It’s a great typing experience. But the purchase wasn’t the best experience. The keycaps weren’t in my shipment. Customer support took care of it quickly. The first PCB I received had several diodes torn off in shipment. Again, customer support took care of it.

The case was pretty rough on the bottom and sides. I was able to sand it with a white 3m pad and buff with a microfiber cloth. It feels very smooth now.

When I went to assemble today, I found one of the mounting holes for the plate to the top of the case was stripped. The screw held in but only loosely. I wrapped with Teflon tape for a pressure fit. It works, but not ideal.

I do like the switches a lot. Impressive performance for budget switches. I lubed them with 205g0.

8 Likes

Today I am typing on a Charcoal Ikki68 with KTT Mallos (stock at the moment), FR4 plate, and NicePBT Pelo.

This is my third or fourth time building up the Ikki68 and trying different things. This is the best build so far, but I still am not “connecting” with this board for some reason. I like the layout, I like the KTT Mallos feel, this is my first FR4 plate and I don’t mind it, but as a whole package I just can’t get into it.

It might partially be due to the fact that the space bar sounds completely different than every other key. So different that it distracts me a bit every time I hit it. But I think it is more than that, I just can’t put my finger on it.

5 Likes

I just can’t put my finger on it.

that can make it extremely hard to type effectively on it

9 Likes

I was going to put “pun intended “ in brackets when I wrote the post, but figured I would leave it hanging out there for someone else.

Well done :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@GFWD I know exactly what you mean. I own both an Ikki68 and a Stellar65 which both share the same «exploded» 68-key layout. I operate both keyboards with SA profile keycaps. I like the Stellar65 better, and I think I has to do with the lower typing inclination angle of 6° versus 6.5° for the Ikki68. This may sound like a small difference, but the height difference of the top row is significant. Moreover, the bottom row of the Stellar65 starts out perhaps 1mm lower in height than the Ikki68. [I will update this posting with more accurate height measurements as soon as I can.]

Nonetheless, I find both keyboards still too high to be fully comfortable with SA profile keycaps. A palm rest would definitely help, but I currently do no have the room for that on my desk. Moreover, I have not yet found a palm rest of the right length. This is the known curse of the «exploded» 68-key keyboards; finding the right sized accessories for this orphan layout…

Height and typing inclination angle are not an issue on the mother of all «exploded» 68-keyboards; the MagicForce 68, which I operate with somewhat lower AFSA profile keycaps. However, one needs to solder in a replacement PCB to make render it programmable with QMK. However, this is also a good opportunity to replace its switches. The keycaps on the Magicforce 68 are fully exposed, which is not my personal preference. The case —the only thing that remains original— also requires some sound dampening.

I recently also acquired a hotswap LTC-NB681 Nimbleback from Amazon, which looks promising in terms of height and inclination angle. However, as far as I know, programming the layout layers is only possible using its proprietary Windows™ software, which is not documented. For that reason, I have not yet succeeded in doing so. Any directions from this readership is more than welcome. QMK or VIA firmware options would be even better.

I would really love to see a company like Keychron produce a model with this «exploded» form factor. What is holding them up? They produce almost every other form factor under the sun…

Finally, another point of difference between the Stellar65 and the Ikki68 is the area of the case rim around the keyboard. I like to rest my left pinkie there when I am reading instead of typing. It is larger and more usable for that purpose with the Stellar65.

As for the differently sounding space bar, I think most keyboards “suffer” from this, which is inherent to the significantly larger volume of the space bar keycap.

I hope this helps with objectively quantifying your feelings about the Ikki68.

1 Like

The Ikki has the weird placement of an upside down switch for the space bar. This was done to accommodate hotswap for full space bar and split space. One thing I might suggest is that you flip your space bar, this would produce the correct orientation and might have an effect on the sound.

Likewise, you can always toss a silent switch under spacebar which is a trend I frequently do in most of my builds. I have heard other people with Ikki’s at meetups complain about spacebar sound tuning. I really haven’t had an issue with mine, but I basically built it out of the gate with a silent switch under the space bar.

4 Likes

I do this a lot, too - and can also add another confirmation that the Ikki68 Aurora has magical space bar loudening capabilities, lol.

Recently I’ve started using one of NuPhy’s GhostBars; they’re another decent option for dampening if one of the color options happens to match what you’re using. Basically what they’ve done is replace the plastic center stem with a silicone one while keeping the stab stems the normal material (PBT in this case). This does serve to mellow the sound and feel without getting too deep into mush territory - might be worth a try if other options don’t give the desired result.

3 Likes

I just finished building my new tofu60 hhkb (on the bottom there) so that’s what’s going to replace my oni60 hhkb (top) for now. specs :
-tofu60 2.0 cement grey e-coating
-alu plate
-shenpo pbt dyesub mods
-epbt 6085 pbt dyesub hiragana alphas
-cherry screw in stabs
-kikimeow yuanqi switches

5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response.

I tried to use MT3 keycaps on my Ikki68 originally, and that was definitely a no go, so I agree with you, higher profile keycaps aren’t great. The front of the ikki is also considerably higher than my Hidari, which is my current favorite board, so it makes sense that that is affecting my experience with using the board.

All of my keyboards have spacebars that sound different, but my ikki68 space bar is in an entirely different “family” of sounds. I don’t actually mind it, if it wasn’t so different from the rest of the character of the board.

With all that said, I have been typing on the ikki68 for a few days now, and am getting used to it. Not sure it will get regular space on my desk.

Those are good suggestions. I will try flipping first. I do have a silent tactile around here somewhere I can give a try.

1 Like

NEED MORE PHOTO :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy

I can’t buy from KBD on the website. But I can buy from them on another trading platform. This whale was as a sale as a pre-order. And after GB will always be available. Now there is a delivery for the first buyers of GB. I wrote to KBD to ask - how are you. The news is the saddest for me. The version, red HHKB, was for pre-order only. :disappointed_relieved:

Finally got TTC Silent Brown V2 and use them stock now in my board (pom plate) and they are great, thank you !

Since your recomendations I started being a fan of your blog and reviews.

Never thought I would end up reading novels about switches :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tofu 2.0 review ! Is it nicer ?

TTC Silent Brown V2 on OG60 with POM plate

13 Likes

Oh, man that’s a cool build. Glad you’re enjoying the switches and the reviews! :smile:

1 Like

NuPhy Night Breeze switches

• Linear, long-pole POK stem
  • Polycarbonate housings
  • Factory lubed

I think I’ve said this before about another switch; I’m not* surprised, but I am impressed. Having already tried and loved the tactile counterparts to these, I expected to enjoy them - but darn do I really enjoy them.

*edit: derp, forgot the “not”

Long story short, these are smooth, stable, and clean. Almost feels like cheating. I have to hand it to NuPhy - they knocked it out of the park with these. I have a positive view of most of their products, but never really considered them anything other than a manufacturer of dressed-up but otherwise pretty standard prebuilt keyboards - these switches have changed my view. :stuck_out_tongue: Their first two self-branded MX-compatible switches happen to be two of my very favorites… >.>

Full reviews on the way.

7 Likes

oh yeah, it’s pretty awesome. the 3 mounting styles are also distinctively different. silicone bowl mount is very soft and has a very “isolated” sound. silicone gasket mount is medium soft/stiff and it feels good to type on, but the sound is a bit strange because of the flex cuts in both the PCB and plate. top mount makes it enjoyable stiff/firm but not as much as some integrated plate boards. it also feels like it weighs twice as much as the normal tofu. even the e-coating feels different, it’s a lot more rough and textured feeling compared to the older and smoother finish. experience may be different with plastic, carbon or fr4 plates, but alu has done me pretty well so far

2 Likes

8 Likes

Wow thanks for sharing !

What about the edges/corners of the board?

I had a Tofu 1 for a short period but was annoyed by the high sharpness of the corners that you could cut paper with…