What is on your desk today?

Xeno feels solid. Pretty firm with the brass full plate, but I like firm so it feels good to me. Sounds very good with the pro yellows. Highly recommend the pro yellows for a linear switch. Classic Gateron nylon sound with improved wobble (improved, yes, but not completely gone). The tops still worry me a bit though. I haven’t had any come apart, but just open one and you’ll see what I mean. They come apart shockingly easy with an opener.

3 Likes

I wonder if that’s on purpose to some degree; knowing people will be opening these, maybe the point here is for the opening process causing less bending / stretching / wear on the clips. I know some switches need films only after opening - this might be trying to address that. It could also just be bad tolerances. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Guacamole, anyone?

11 Likes

I kinda like that funky colorway

1 Like

I clearly lack the necessary vision to see how things like this will come together.

1 Like

Unexpected colors for keycaps, but I find then very nice looking !

I have been enjoying using splits the past few days. I have my quefrency v2 out today, built up with creams with UMHWPE stems, cherry clip in stabs, and the case is a P3D store carbon fiber infused PLA with a pink PLA mid layer and topped with GMK Laser.

The TRRS cable is custom made by DaniPopDesigns

12 Likes

Built my gray unpainted TKC-1800 with lubed and filmed H1s. Swapped out the heavyboi springs with 68g Sprit springs. Sounds nice and thocky. Love having a numpad for filling out forms online, which I used a lot today!

Forgot how brutal it is to build larger boards. Double the amount of lubing/filming/soldering. Yuck. But the end typing experience was worth it in this case.

22 Likes

I’m getting some vintage space travel vibes from this. Very nice.

4 Likes

Recent rebuild of a Grid600 with a Wilbatech WEIRDFLEX PCB, Carolina Mech FR4 1/2 plate and Gateron Cap brown switches.

Note: removed the center post from the case for lots of flex.

19 Likes

Nice subtle color matching there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I loved my Grid600 but sold it because I could never get it to feel or sound very good. It looks like you’ve solved that problem! And the board looks great to boot.

Yeah the Grid600 can be a little finicky but with some experimenting it can be great.

Funny you should mention the sound. The first time I assembled this latest iteration I had removed all of the sound dampening material to accommodate the flexing of the PCB but quickly added a layer back to remove the hollow sound it produced. It sounded terrible. Now that I have it in there it sounds good but still allows for the flex.

1 Like

Current daily driver is a HHKB Pro bluetooth with domikey keycaps

14 Likes

How are those domikey keycaps? I’ve heard mixed things about them

3 Likes

So far I am pretty happy with it! It’s doubleshot ABS material, the contrast between BG and legend is nice (sometimes I work in low light environments), and the price was reasonable also ($60 USD w/ shipping)

6 Likes

$50 on US amazon, very tempting. Do they sound as good as stock?

I’ve been thinking of getting those for the mint Aurora.

The SA sets I’ve purchased from them have been top-notch. Good and thick, no obvious defects, very consistent.

1 Like

If you want a top-notch SA set at bargain price, checkout Filco’s BoW SA R2/3 set at mechanicalkeyboards.com. It made by SP.

Caveat: removing plastic inserts from wide keys is annoying but doable.

6 Likes