What is on your desk today?

The PCB is called Quark and it supports a couple non-standard layouts with Planck spacing. The creator makes a number of ortho pcbs for existing boards here: Ortho and Staggered PCBs

2 Likes

Thanks! The Checker Boards site has a lot of really interesting layout options on their boards. Definitely bookmarking that one for later.

Jeez this thing is cool

Ikki68 Aurora

• Tromso Bluetooth PCB

• Aluminum plate

• Poron gaskets, center chips removed

• OA Stabs

• Charcoal case and stab color

• Aqua King V3 R2 switches

• MT3 WoB

10 Likes

That W tho!

2 Likes

I knew I had to do this.

My setup for school work.

Specs:

Deathadder V2 Mini found on yard sale (Holy cow 3 bucks)

Techware Phantom TKL lubed with G-Lube that a friend had around (he let me keep it!)

DIY armrest

Desk Mat I call Amazon Prime, Group Buy is ending pretty soon :slight_smile:

19 Likes

:clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3:

1 Like

The venerated MT3 WoB on the new board! How do you like it? Would love to hear a sound test.

2 Likes

I’m impressed with it so far. I haven’t tuned the stabs yet so they are super rattly; but here’s a quick sample of some alphas:

The keys end up sitting very close to the case walls and OA stabs allow for some rotation, so with MT3’s slight extra-wideness there’s the occasional scrape against the case. That’s really my only wrinkle with the design so far.

It’s fairly muted but I love the sounds, and I think it feels great.

I have the Tromso bluetooth PCB which has its own software; remapping layer 1 keys is super easy, but I can’t find any way to edit the FN layer, so that’s kinda lame. Other PCBs that fit the kit are QMK.

Manufacturing quality might be the best of the plastic entry contenders that I’ve seen; while the 67L has cheap-looking after-thought seams, the ones on the Aurora are clean and even. The keeb has a satisfying weight, too.

4 Likes

Very nice. A full PC switch with ABS is usually a bit clacky, but those MT3’s really add a nice baritone pitch to the overall sound. I’m for sure going to give this setup a try.

My experience with the V3 R2 Aqua Kings is that they sound amazing but still feel pretty sluggish and a little inconsistent. Like it’s a great feel pushing individual keys but typing gets weird for me unless I do it like I’ve got Navies on there, very deliberately and firm (and slower).

1 Like

Ikki68 Aurora Mizu

• FR4 plate
  • OA stabs
  • TTC Bluish Whites (dampener removed) w/ 3204
  • JTK Arctic

Not a perfect match on colors, but it will due until KAT Mizu delivers (or more likely, GMK Mizu R2 runs and delivers before it… or the heat-death of the universe which will surely happen first). The board I suppose. I like the layout and the aesthetics overall. With the aluminum and FR4 plates, there is no flex to be had regardless of gasket “chip” placement or number. Honestly, I’m not sure how much value the thin gaskets offer over something like a top mount – in fact, the typing feel isn’t far off from a Tofu or other bottom mount case. The plastic case is fine too, but personally I think I would be happier with the aluminum case version (granted at a much higher price point). All that said, it’s not a bad board by any means, especially for the price, but not the best gasket implementation that I’ve felt.

13 Likes

No matter what I add to my shelf, I haven’t ceased to enjoy coming back to my HHKB. Comfort food == comfort keyboard?

20 Likes

17 Likes

Ikki68 Aurora Mizu
Brass Plate
GMK Deep Navy
U4T Bobas with 3023

I’ve been wanting to try this layout for awhile and snagged the Ikki68 to give it a shot. I like the board a lot more than I expected and its sounds pretty nice too.

8 Likes

I swear this is the only keyboard GMK Iris works on

Link to Album: [https://imgur.com/a/msP8y3X]

15 Likes

ooh, the rare Iris set comes out. I like to pull this and the Aero out every now and then

Kinda has that 1992 After School Special feel, now that I look at it. It does look good on that board.
Have you tried it on yellow or pink?

1 Like

Love seeing those old GMK molds with the funky # and giant ^ and other quirks.

2 Likes

Was gonna say this reminds me of colorful plastic rulers, protractors, pencil sharpeners, pencil boxes, and calculators.

I very clearly remember a space-themed set of Mega-Bloks that had almost the exact set of colors used on Hyperfuse.

1 Like

It should have been called GMK Trapper Keeper

2 Likes

My trusty Portico came to work with me today - and I now use the same desk at home and at work.

The case almost glows under fluorescent light - it looks purple at home, but in this room it looks extra purple.

Still enjoying those Gazzew Nixdork LT switches - they hella smooth - despite the “T” standing for “thock” these really make more of a delicate clack, and I like it a lot.

10 Likes