What is on your desk today?

KBD67L with GMK Mecha-01

• Wired PCB
  • Cherry stabs
  • FR4 plate from hypekeyboards.ca
  • Purp case from R3
  • TTC Wild switches

I used to be team bumps. Now I’m team scoops. I lost some feeling in a couple fingertips and I can still find the scoops plenty easy even though most bumps are almost invisible to my right index finger.

I think they nailed the colors.

The TTC Wilds are great, too - I’ll have to have some time with them but first impressions are very positive.

Those along with this plate make for some tasty deep claccs. Quite loud next to the *nixdork LTs I’m running in another 67L, which themselves aren’t exactly quiet;

What can I say, it’s my favorite keeb.

Soundtest(s) in the not too distant future.

Get in the damn robot, Shenji!

16 Likes

I didn’t realize that Cherry profile did deep dish homing keys, that’s cool. I’ve so far been a fan of bars as opposed to bumps, I find bumps are often too small for me to consistently feel them.

15 Likes

Very nice! The blue/pink reminds me of the Lover album cover.

3 Likes

Back at the home office because of Omicron, and I just found out that my external monitor is broken.

12 Likes

Here’s a quick recording of that last KBD67L build:

I really like these Wilds. They’re a lot like the ACEs, but deeper sounding and more heavy. (I have the green-top ones with the heavier spring.) Overall I’m almost taken aback by how much I enjoy typing on and hearing this build.

I’m sure it’ll stop at some point but years in I’m still enjoying pleasant surprises like this. I keep finding new favorites!

As an aside, I hope TTC offers something like this regularly at some point; as I understand it both the ACEs and Wilds are somewhat limited and aren’t regularly produced, but I think the configurations deserve a seat alongside Gold Pinks on their main line, if possibly re-colored and re-named in the Wild’s case.

7 Likes

Mecha-01 Mat Misprint lookin’ pretty good with Cyber and a purple Portico

14 Likes

That sounds great! I might have to give em a try.

1 Like

Snow:

• Stems lubed with 3 coats of RO-59
  • Rails, Stabilizers, and PCB lubed with 205g0
  • Lined with Sorbothane and Shelf Liner
  • Tape Modded
  • Burger Mounted
  • Mitchcapped Mods
  • PFU Charcoal Blanks

:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

9 Likes

I just received and put this CU7 together over the weekend. I’m bummed to see Caps Unlocked closing shop a day after I finally got to start playing with this. Its a very solid piece.

17 Likes

This is my Keychron C1. Tempest moded, foam in the bottom of the case and the current home of my NK launch creams.

Took the photo how I did so I could show off the way the switches change the color of the backlight. It’s actually supposed to be warm white but the switches cast this nice blue glow.

9 Likes

Looks good with the blue lock light!

I’m going to use this as a planned element in a build one of these days…

I have a lavender Portico, and if I use the lights at all I use one that kind of oscillates between warm and cool pink. I put some Gateron Gold Yellow Cap switches in there yesterday, and the light comes through them fire-engine red.

The under side of keycaps can affect that, too - on that same Portico I have a double shot MT3 set, and that’s one of the profiles where the legend color covers the whole underside of the cap - and that color will reflect back onto surrounding surfaces. If I have otherwise white light coming up at them, the ones with teal legends will have a light version of that color reflecting back down, etc.

1 Like

Haven’t played with this monster in a while - decided to try it with Speed Navies.

CTRL High-profile; solid integrated plate, easily the most stiff setup I own - it and the Navies work with each-other better than I was expecting. These don’t seem to ring as much as I remember BOX Navies doing.

7 Likes

Loving the sound of the Speed Navies, it’s especially refreshing from the usual linear or tactile sounds. Are the Speed Navies just as tactile as the Box Navies?

2 Likes

Lovely. I have a tkl with Speed Navies as well (in a steel plate) and I love the sound of them. I think they might be as close as possible as a mx switch comes to sounding like a mouse button switch.

2 Likes

I don’t have Box Navies, but compared to Box Jades the Speed Navies are similar in terms of tactility. Speed Navies have the same thick click bar but a slightly less pronounced tactile event, I think due to the heavier spring.

1 Like

I thought this question was going to have a yes or no answer, but it turns out it’s more of a multi-faceted one.

I just love it when that happens.

Impromptu showdown essay time!

Alright - let’s take a look at these kai-hooey* clickies on my desk here, and talk about which one is “more tactile” than the other:

So - the BOX (Crystal) Navy’s tactile event is more abrupt, but the peak force of the Speed Navy’s bump is higher.

Trying one in each hand, that abruptness had me about to say “oh yeah the BOX one is totally more tactile,” and then I tried them stem-to-stem, which has me questioning “what even is tactility?”

When pushed stem-to-stem (slowly and straight-on) the Speed pushes the BOX’s stem all the way to bottom before cresting its own bump (in this case clearing the click-bar) - so it’s clear its bump is “stronger” in terms of how many grams of weight it takes to clear it.

However, doing that same test a bit more quickly sometimes has the BOX stem pushing through the Speed’s bar.

The meaningful difference: the lead-up to and release from the tactile event are quite different between these two switches, as similar as the peak itself may be.

With the BOX (Crystal) switch, there’s a tiny bit of pre-travel before you hit a basically flat wall of increasing pressure until you clear the bar and almost unavoidably hit bottom, as it takes more pressure to clear the bar than it does to fully compress the spring in the switch.

BOX (Crystal) Navy: You climb a wall, and then fall flat on the floor.

With the Speed switch, there’s essentially no “pre-travel” in that the stem cam immediately engages with the bar - however that engagement itself represents a more gradual climb in resistance before clearing, unlike the BOX’s sheer cliff. Once you clear the bar, you’ll find it much easier to avoid bottoming-out, or at least to not bottom-out as hard, thanks to a fast-curve spring that quickly increases in weight towards the bottom of the travel - and thanks to the peak being higher-up in the travel, giving more space to slow down.

Speed Navy: You climb a short, steep hill and jump off onto a big mattress.

Personally, I found the BOX Navies to be a bit too much to use for actual typing, but they’re grand for lock keys to simulate locking switches. The Speeds, on the other hand, I find significantly more usable. Not for very long, mind you… Still, the difference in the typing experience is significant.

The Speeds might be heavier, but they’re also decidedly less harsh.

*Dumb fun fact: some text-to-speech programs read “Kaihua” as “kai-hooey” and I chuckle every time.

8 Likes

I like your analogies. I’m also very much here for the clicky switch science!

But the speed one is still click bar?

Yes

1 Like