What is on your desk today?

I probably should have lubed them all. The sound is a bit offputting at the moment. But lubed and non-lubed feel very similar. I always take too long screwing around with swtiches, so this time I just committed and soldered them. I think the most ‘different’ thing about them is probably the spring. I like it, but it’s different from what I ususally type on.

One thing that is nice about the J01 is that the case is hefty and large with very small bumpons. This helps the case have more contact with my desk pad, so you get a nice bass resonnace (thump thump) from the Matrix switches. It helps to even out some of the clackier, unlubed sound.

Might have to turn it up more than usual since Youtube is dumb and makes videos quieter by default

5 Likes

Oof, this reminds me I still need to build my J-01, lol. And as far as the sound goes, Jae has mentioned that his design philosophy for his boards was to basically make a resonance chamber to amplify the raw sound of the switches so I’m not surprised the stock switches came out so clacky. My J-02 with stock Kiwis sounds pretty similar.

That said, your spacebar is a clear, solid “thunk” in comparison to the rest of the keys there. Very nice :+1:

2 Likes

Definitely, I would get one, unfortunately I wasn’t interested when it was available. Guess it is a small market, and more maybe in a category like ‘show mum what I built’ than usage.

On my desk today I brought my beamspring to work, and just made a quick test if it is still working after the bike ride:

30 Likes

just woau

2 Likes

3 Likes

So beautiful!
Do you colleages like the noise it makes ?

2 Likes

You: [ Model M ]

The guy she told you not to worry about:

11 Likes

When you say brought to work do you mean as in an office with other people? Is the beamspring not a bit loud for that?

1 Like

Actually I want to make a video when typing in our open space office, with of course the solenoid attached. It is with the case not that loud, but omg does it sound and feel great!

@louuuuuuuu Yep, even an open space office. ~30 employees, no walls, some plants and cabinets in between. I used it today for 3 emails, then I got annoyed because of the layout and had to move on with work – I’ll make a new video I think in the next days.

@Deadeye
LOL
O
L

3 Likes

Holy cow, that’s a LONG spacebar. Love the wood accents as well, really bring the board together.

1 Like

“My desk” while away from home :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

Sneakbox AVA
just built this, so it will be on the desk for the foreseeable future.

17 Likes

Godspeed on Ocean

18 Likes

that’s a stellar pairing! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Very beautiful :heart_eyes:

1 Like

agreed with sefixm it’s really good looking. What’s the kit/pcb called?

1 Like

It’s called the “TENTAKU” and it can be acquired through booth.pm. I used Buyee which made it cost a lot more, but I am completely illiterate in Japanese.

2 Likes

KBD67 v3

• Kailh Deep Sea silent linears
  • Brass plate & weight
  • Foam on PCB
  • CXA WoB

Brought the heavy boi to work today.

I don’t always use RGB, but when I do, I prefer purples

12 Likes

Thank you :heart_eyes:

16 Likes