What is on your desk today?

I would purchase this in an instant! So nice!

4 Likes

I know that it’s decidedly not the same league and I’m sure some of you will find this blasphemous, but the thing I like most about the Keychron Q9 is how it hints at this Topre layout (minus the number row):

5 Likes

• New desk outfit :triangular_ruler:

• Tester with Oddities :mag:

• Tray from Dorp :black_circle:

• KBD67L w/ DCX Cyber & Nylon T1s :boom:

5 Likes

I am speechless …

How did you managed to have such quality from a 3d printer ?
And those fonts … did you used infill technique to achieve such crisp legends ?

I’m sorry, I should have explicitly stated that the image above is a render.

That being said, I managed to push the quality quite far. Currently I’m still printing at 0.05 mm, going to 0.03 mm next. Regarding the infill of the legends, I had a breakthrough this week, that produces very clean results with little cleanup. I’ll post more images soon.

3 Likes

These are the actual “beta prints” URSA Minor on my FC660C.

The two shades of brown are two different dyes used.
The infill is the same resin material as the keycap. I’m still experimenting with the final surface finish.

Edit: Classic fail of not attaching the image :smiley:

23 Likes

Would instantly purchase this set. :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Wow!
My deepest respect for putting so much work and commitment in an idea.

4 Likes

I posted this in the NT-980 thread before, but @norbauer I did not realize until your IG post today that this case was such a rare beast. I already cherish my Aperture Heavy-9 for it’s beauty - and what a delight to use - but maybe this makes it just a little more dear.

20 Likes

WOW. Rainy Day looks awesome on that board. I was just googling for photos of the set… how random!

3 Likes

Thank you! I had this pairing in mind the moment I first saw the Aperture finish. I think I had just joined the Rainy Day GB, and knew this was made for it

Sick colorway combo there: cool business like case & keycaps w/colorful plate, like a suited MBA with neon underwear.

5 Likes

Mmm, crumchy - TKC Blackberries

First impressions later today.

10 Likes

Finally got GMK Space Cadet R2 in the mail yesterday and mounted on the Brutal60! I had to use the yellow ISO enter and escape key from GMK Godspeed as the standard kit does not include one and the international kit was sold out. If anyone has the international kit or even just the enter key, I will buy it in a heartbeat!

10 Likes

TKC and Tecsee team-up to create their first clicky - is it any good?

Yeah! I think it is, indeed.

I’ve been typing on the Blackberries for a couple hours, and I like them. Definitely not your typical jacket clicky.

These are very crispy switches, and I think @ThereminGoat did a great job describing the character of the switch, so if you’re at all curious about it I highly recommend checking out his detailed review.

Compared with a typical “blue”, these Blackberries have a much more (and more clearly) pronounced tactile event. The sound and feel are more punchy, and the sounds deeper. Paraphrasing, I agree with master goat that the click-device rattle is much more contained than with a typical jacket. More a short crunch than a chaotic rattle, but also not the discrete pair of tiny whip-cracks produced by click-bar switches.

Previously, I’d said Outemu Oceans were the most refined non-torsion-spring clicky I’d tried so far, but these Blackberries easily take that cake.

I think I might still prefer some of the click-bar switches more overall, but for me, these are a very welcome addition to the clicky scene. I think they bring something fresh to the least varied major category. While still a bit under-loved, I think the clicky-verse has gotten some genuinely good additions in the past year or so, and I’m happy to tell you I hold Blackberries among them. Clicky enjoyers rejoice!

From the notes of master goat, these may not be the most durable when it comes to retaining their crispness, but I’d still recommend them to anyone with a taste for crunchy clicks. I’ll have a complete review up at some point, with some more detailed and specific comparisons with other notable clickies.

11 Likes

what kind of spring do they have? Wonder if you could put some 22mm springs in them for a crunchy and bouncy switch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s supposed to be 68g, and it looks like a 15mm, maybe 16mm gold-colored spring. The coils look uniform to me.

The only 22mm spring I have right now is 58g with two sections so I tried that. It’s not bad, though I think a heavier one might be more suitable. In-use I think it would work fine, but on the return stroke this spring doesn’t clear the bump as confidently as the stock one.

I also tried a shorty Halo True spring, maybe 12 or 13mm - can’t say I liked it. I think this is the kind of switch that sounds better when it bottoms-out than when it doesn’t, and this spring discourages it.

1 Like

Just gave the dumbpad V3 a quick redesign and finally lubed the swichtes at that opportunity. Dumbpad V3 Hotswap RGB with Ice Candys, clone keycaps and a guitar knob. 3D Print case

9 Likes

Got a board built with these as well. What size of spacebar are you using? I’m currently setup with a 7u - but finding that it’s sticking on the upstroke. I’m going to test the stabs to ensure it’s not something silly like over-lubed or something, but feels fine on the downstroke and sticks on the click mechanism on the upstroke.

1 Like

I’m using a 6.25u DCX spacebar; similar to a Cherry one.

I didn’t have any issues there, but did notice the Enter key seemed to stick on the way up depending on where I pressed down on the key. (It would stick if pushed-down on the left-most side, but not when pushed from the middle or right side.)

I pushed-on and wiggled it a bit to make sure everything was fully-seated; and it seemed to return to normal behavior after that, so at least in my case I’m thinking the stabs weren’t quite seated right at first. It is easy for me to imagine needing a stronger spring for a heavier bar, though - that is a significant bump it needs to clear on the way back up.

I should also note that I’m using washers to make sure the caps sit balanced on the stems; at least with DCX, even normal-travel switches have the wide caps teetering on the middle stems - I think I have 4-5 washers on each stab stem, which keeps both sides level with the other keys when fully-seated.

Without the washers, pushing down on one side of the cap can make it seat further-down on one side of the stab while pulling the opposite stem out a bit - that can definitely encourage sticking, and is part of why I swear by these things. I don’t want to have to balance the cap on those stab stems or have it in the back of my mind that hitting the key a little too hard will throw it out of balance; those washers take all that out of the equation by letting you dial-in the “floor” position of those stems relative to the wires / switches.

I haven’t seen those things in stock in years though - so I’m looking into what it might take to just have a bunch made. :stuck_out_tongue: