What is on your desk today?

This bottom is gorgeous !

Thanks Huey for asking for this picture :wink:

3 Likes

Seconded! Beatiful board @KetchyKech!

Realforce with 55g BKE domes lubed with Krytox 1514. This thing is sex to type on.

8 Likes

Oh, the V80. I give it points for being available in more switch options than probably any prebuilt…

But dang. The stabs and caps that come with it are not great. Good thing they’re easy to replace! I made the mistake of getting one of these as a prebuilt “silent” board - but now I know it’s much better for what you’re doing with it - a base platform for custom goodness. (On that note - I’m really digging that keyset - Alps mount is pretty foreign to me but I’m totally intrigued.)

Pro tip - some cases designed for the Filco Majestouch 2 or CM Quickfire Storm will also fit the V80 (and the Turtle Beach Impact 500). Depending on how they attach, there might be a little hole-drilling needed - nothing too major.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve heard chatter is really common with the v80’s but I haven’t had any noticeable issues so far.

As for alps, if you haven’t tried them you totally should! Brown alps are the best switch ever and alps mount switches are the only switch I use now. Finding nice keysets for them can be hard since you have to go looking for donor boards to use caps from.

2 Likes

Typing demo please?

1 Like

I’d be happy to post one after I put in the SKCL Greens. TBH I’ve been waiting to tune my spacebar for when I open up the case so it’s too rattly for a video right now anyways. :pensive:

1 Like

Dielectric grease and teflon grease baby. :muscle: music to my ears

2 Likes

The up-side to the V80 using Costar-style stabs is that (at least in my opinion) they are a little easier to lube, having fewer moving parts.

One thing I noticed in mine that may or may not apply to yours since it has Mattias / Alps - mine had Cherry switches with the LED holes North-facing. This means that Costar style stabilizer wires actually hit the switch, and some won’t work properly. They appear to use a non-standard one without a bend as a rigged solution. It’s always slightly bent against the switch but still functions.

I mention this because generally I’d recommend replacing all those stab pieces - but check the spacebar one to see if it is contacting the switch housing. If so, the normal replacements might not work.

The reason I recommend replacing them in general is that KBP uses cheap knockoffs - they can be lubed to quiet-down, but I frequently had the issue of wires popping out of their clips, especially after lubing. Good stabs won’t do that, and will also just feel better.

1 Like

I couldn’t be happier to have a bag of matias stabs on hand. I’ll have to check if the stab wire is straight or bent. This is my first time with costar stabs, actually. Thanks for the tip about the case btw, I can see myself getting a Tex TKL case for it later down the road.

1 Like

It’s my first build. Currently have Black Ink’s in it and am currently lubing some retooled Cherry Mx Blacks right now with krytox 205g0

8 Likes

Nice! What board is that?

Looks like a Tofu 60 w/DZ60.

1 Like

Blue Yeti with DIY Silverstone screen sitting on 5mm Sorbothane coaster. Improvement in recorded sound was startling. :astonished:

5 Likes

Tokyo60, MT3 Serika, 205g0 lubed Everglide Stabs, 205g0 lubed creams.

I can’t really tell the difference between using 205g0 and dialectic on the stabs, so I will probably go back to dialectic for stabs in future builds. Tell me why I am wrong.

Not a bad experience here except for the space bar sounding very hollow. I may try to foam the inside of it, but I dont want to cause any issue with weight stressning the switch ability to return it properly.

3 Likes

Wow, that looks great! You guys with your MT3 Serika are killing me lol. Mine is “supposedly” shipping on the 17th. Can’t wait!

1 Like

I’m waiting on stabs and keycaps, I just realized that I ordered the stabs from aliexpress so who knows when they will be here. :grimacing:

And do you think I should paint the plate? White, gray or red?

Edit: I got to say that the lubed and film’ed Ink Yellows sounds lovely. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s the Tofu 60 w/DZ60 modified with pin receptacles to make it hot swappable. Finally got the retooled blacks in!

what desk is that and where did you buy it?

1 Like

The ultimate dust cover.
I’m more interested in that shiny black cable. Can I get a close up? Where did you get it?