What is your favorite keyboard that you own? And why?

Is the “fc660c_via.hex” file on the VIA website for the fc660c Hasu controller then? I didn’t realize that it was ported to VIA (just been running stock QMK on mine).

On a side note, it would be really cool to also see a VIA port for the Hasu USB to USB converter for a few standard layouts.

Clinically accurate use, no, but a VERY common use and well within the bounds of it’s context. I’m sure no offense was intended, and the term wasn’t remotely used pejoratively.

1 Like

Very common doesn’t mean appropriate or worth repeating. Whether the intention was to belittle or not, which I know it wasn’t, it’s not fair to people with mental disorders to continue to standardize their diagnoses as personality quirks. It perpetuates misunderstanding. Of course you’re welcome to disagree.

1 Like

Thanks and yes I know it isn’t the proper way to use that term, but like fatalruin said it is used very often in this way. For sure I didn’t say this in any offending or degrading way.

No harm done, just trying to keep things clear and respectful.

I mean, it’s not really fair to publicly shame someone on a keyboard forum for the use of a commonly used term especially when you know that their intent wasn’t malicious, but alas, this world is not fair. I do get your point however, and it has merit. If education is your goal, then chastisement is a poor approach (maybe a pm was in order). I suppose the phrase “compelled to use symmetric layouts” would have been the most accurate statement though at the risk of being overly verbose.

Oh man, maybe my tone wasn’t in check, but I definitely didn’t intend to chastise! A pm may have been in order, yeah, but I usually like to make this point visible to the most people possible, even in such a place as a keyboard forum.

But let’s put this to rest, thanks for sharing and being willing to listen.

6 Likes

You can actually “port” any board to VIA by just enabling it in the make file and jumping through the hoops to make the mapping json.

That said, the USB to USB controller is a special case. VIA needs to reserve space in the EEPROM equal 2 x rows x cols x layers (I think). The USB to USB converter uses a 16 x 16 matrix so 512 bytes per layer. Most controllers in use on Keyboards have 1k of EEPROM so in theory you could have two layers with the USB to USB controller except QMK itself eats about 30 odd bytes of EEPROM, which then limits you to a single layer.

For me the big use case for VIA is macros, and for that I really want at least 2 layers, so when I hit this limitation I basically stopped trying to port the USB to USB controller to VIA.

That photo is lovely.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info – that makes sense. Also thanks for the attempt. It’s not so bad for me since I pretty much just use mine for TKL’s, but an on the fly layout swap for something else will have to remain a pipe dream, lol.

The annoying thing is that the USB-USB converter has that matrix size no matter what keyboard you plug it into, so if you plug a 60% board in, it still has a 16x16 matrix. Basically the USB to USB converter is pretty much a non starter for VIA.

1 Like

No problem at all :vulcan_salute:
I know what you meant.
Infact I really have OCD (and some other things going along) but it is sometimes easier to say the term most people will get without asking.
Because I’m mostly not in the mood to explain to much about it.

3 Likes

Fuck.
My favorite board always ends up becoming a FotM between my Rama U-80 or my Keycult No.2

Keycult No. 2

• Retooled Blacks Filmed, Lubed with 205g0, 75g springs
  • Gmk Modern Dolch w/ Mr.Sleeves add-on

Rama U-80

• Cerakoted Graphite Black
  • Tealios Filmed, Lubed with Krytox 206, 70g springs
  • GMK Nines w/ Rama Striker Artisan

Keycult purely for the value and aesthetics, Rama for the amount of effort put into it. Every time someone asks which ones my favorite it always defaults to whichever one is on my desk that month.

12 Likes

The Yui40 v2 has become my favorite board. I always seem to come back to 40% ortho and this one checks all the marks for me: great looks, decent weight, amazing tactile thock sound, and rotary encoder! If your a 40% nerd like me, I’d get in on the Yui40 v2 IC.

9 Likes

Beautiful SirCheddar creation!

1 Like

Love the name of the board! Haha

1 Like