What's on your workbench today?

I would be quite interested good sir. I haven’t yet put my FC660C into it’s new home so the timing here is ideal.

1 Like

Finally have time to get my Heavy-9 up and running. It’s only been sitting in the to do room for 3 months lol.

11 Likes

Any chance you have a spare of each of those? I’ve not gotten either yet for my collection and love the detail you’ve captured here!

1 Like

I do, indeed! I’d be happy to send some your way.

2 Likes

Just another timestamp :smiley:

8 Likes

So, this is a facepalm :man_facepalming:t3: moment and a thing that made me go “hmmm…” and yet, it’s something that was on my workbench. So, here we are.

I was really excited to see wooden plates available from trilobite for the M0110. I bought a zebra wood one as well as a few other tray mount plates.

I got a chance to put my modern M0110 build together today with the wooden plate. You may have already spotted the facepalm here.

That’s right, the plate is for the hello m0110, not the Modern m0110.

But here’s the thing…. The plates have the exact same mounting points. This has to be intentional.

So the wooden plate matches my brass plate I owned for the Modern m0110. With the exception of this one notch by the usb on the deskcandy variant.

Nothing a dremel can’t handle!!

All done. It works. Love the look, feel, and sound.

19 Likes

I’m glad you got it to fit. I wouldn’t call it intentional from trilobite’s point of view at least. All of the hello m0110 aluminum and polycarb plates that shipped with the case a month or two ago were all borked (the switch cutouts were accidentally placed 1mm to the left on the plate files). Trilobite just took the provided *corrected plate files that came out a few days later and made some wood ones while we wait on replacements to be made. He may have had intention of doing this anyway, but the files were not his design. As far as the case designer goes, I know the new plates support top mount or gasket mount, so that may impact the shape, and I can’t speak to it’s design compared to the modern m0110 as this is an iteration of the fist hello/ryloo case.

2 Likes

How would you describe the sound compare to the other plate?

1 Like

Compared to brass it resonates more. I would call it more “thock” but that word means different things to different people. The sound of hitting a guitar face… more of that sound. The M0110 doesn’t have a lot of space inside so it doesn’t sound hollow, but just more resonate.

I got this plate because I wanted the option of tsangan bottom row with full backspace. And because it looks awesome. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Ha, wait 'til LGR gets wind of wooden switch plates… he’s all about old tech, especially if it involves wood grain - and he appreciates a good keeb, too.

2 Likes

The musical resonance description makes sense. Thanks. Tsangan bottom row with full backspace is the tits.

1 Like

The Nullbits “Snap”, as always, a pleasure to build up their kits.

6 Likes

I want one so badly but i messed up soldering the nibble i have from them and it doesnt work ;-;

Matching pcb color with the dev boards (assuming those two dev boards in the upper left are for this build) is a nice touch!

Yeah, that’s Nullbits doing. They have their own MCU’s made called the Bit-C. They also order up screens in white. Too bad the little speaker couldn’t have had a white housing, but I’ve got a 3D printer that can fix that.

2 Likes

I have to be honest, I have a lot of anxiety around building these. I’m constantly worried about one thing or another. More often than not it works, and gladly when it doesn’t the community has usually been able to help.

If you think your Nibble has a chance, you should post up where you’re at and I’m sure others can give you some guidance.

1 Like

Giving the Novatouch an honest go in its stock case, but modding it to my preferences. I don’t have high any expectations for sound but having a native MX-compatible board that is ready to host some unused keycaps is nice. Found enough Des #5 rings in my leftover packets; then tackle stab lubing tonight.

5 Likes

Now, this is my idea of a relaxing evening.

A little true crime youtube mixes well with mixing switches. This evening I’m topping-off my collection of Heisenbergs and Holy Dragons.

7 Likes

that purple setup is looking delicious

4 Likes

I published a minor update to my frankenswitch recipe page to indicate what kind of testing I’ve done with them / if there are potential issues with the recipe.