What's on your workbench today?

same as @fatalruin. would like to see the internals and how you’re making it fit for now pre-drilling.

Wife got me a little USB keyboard vacuum to add to the workbench:

11 Likes

Dang that looks awesome, do you have a link? I’ve been looking for something like that

1 Like

Finally closing in on completing my Lumberjack.

9 Likes

PE foam modded my m60-a

I’ll have to tune the stabilizers another day. I left foam under them and shift & enter are too mushy. Sounds nice. Actually a bit louder yet deeper in pitch.

Foam diffuses the leds very nicely. This is a very fast and easy mod on this particular keyboard. I reccomend trying it if interested.

8 Likes

It’s super cheap but works well if you take off your caps.

I timed my switch lubing session today, thought I’d post here in case (1) it’s useful or (2) it’s anomalous (in which case, I should likely evaluate my process :sweat_smile:). I don’t recall seeing any timings on Keebtalk to compare to, and while this is definitely 100% not a race, I think it would be nice to have a general ballpark figure for how long lubing takes, right?

(Caveat: I was simultaneously watching the Niners game towards the tail end of the session, but I don’t think that affected my timings too much.)

27 Linear Switches

0:15 – Disassembly + Bag-Lubing Springs
0:30 – Lubing Bottoms
0:20 – Applying Switch Films (Deskeys)
0:03 – Placing Springs
1:10 – Lubing Stems + Assembling Switches + Adjusting Films + Testing

Total Time = 2 hours 18 minutes

a) There are obviously economies of scale with lubing more switches at a time, but it also obviously increases the total time, and ~2 hours is a solid chunk of time as it is.

b) I am a recovering perfectionist, so in addition to the usual due care in applying the lube, I do take the time to half-open every switch at the end and adjust the switch films so they all sit flush with the switch edges.

4 Likes

That feels like true love. Your wife gifting you something for your crazy hobby :heart_eyes: Love it.

4 Likes

Do you ever test the whole batch for consistency or is this just me? Like I purposely lube a single switch with the upmost attention to detail as a sort of high-water mark to hit when lubing the rest. I tend to lube lazily near the end I guess.

I feel ya, the tedium creeps in :expressionless:.

Re: testing: Yup, I test every switch with headphones on for push-feel consistency, and I test random ones with my headphones off for sound-consistency. I haven’t had to repair/re-lube any switches for a while now (knock on wood), predominantly because my process (incl. amount of lube, order of lubing parts, etc.) has become fairly consistent.

Reducing the batch count (e.g., 70 to 25) has helped with maintaining consistency, because there’s less ennui towards the end. I also think the timing of a lubing session makes a difference. I try to do it when I want to zone out and clear my head, and sort of like vacuuming, the monotony helps with that.

2 Likes

Brilliant. That’s neat.

Totally, I rarely repair/re-lube those one-offs. Admittedly, I hide them in R1.

2 Likes

Bahaha

2 Likes

Waiting for some parts, so I decided to build the Lumberjack in the meantime :innocent:

11 Likes

Farewell AEK II – first steps towards my Alps Planck.

7 Likes

47 Rōnin :smiley:

9 Likes

It’s a Macro-pad Sunday extravaganza!

In which I try to finish all these or go mad trying.

From Top to Bottom, Left to Right;

1. Adafruit Macropad
  2. Doodboard Duckpad
  3. Mechwild Murphpad
  4. Clawboard The Sidekick
  5. Key Hive Maypad

I’ve got one more to finish too, but I need to order some parts to complete it so it’s not in this weekends attempt.

12 Likes

Easing out the day at the diner table while the rest of the family is enjoying TV :smiley:

5 Likes

Just for fun!

5 Likes

I don’t know why, but it feels like it’s been forever since I’ve seen one of those cases

2 Likes

Trying some Lychees in the BDN9

Edit: Really liking them so far; the bump is pretty short and waaay up-top, kind of like an Ink Kangaroo, if a little less sharp.

There’s definitely some light metallic noise; not totally certain yet but I think it’s the leaf contacts, and it almost reminds me of how some BOX leaves sound - I’m guessing due to the sharp, short nature of the bump quickly letting the contacts come together. It’s regular and fairly clean; not rattly or noisy like your typical spring chatter. It sounds “mechanical” - like one might expect a generic physical contact switch to sound, if that makes sense.

I look forward to putting these in the KBD67’s and seeing how they fee in a full board; both with a fairly flexy setup, and with a more firm one.

4 Likes