What's on your workbench today?

Just found out VIA now supports Planck. Looks like all the revs and versions by OLKB. I flashed my rev4 and it seems to be working just fine. Now I just need 47 SKCM Oranges.

8 Likes

Is that the latest release? A few weeks ago it showed up in the repo, but wasn’t in the release.

Edit: Release is 1.3.1 which does not seem to support the Planck Rev 6.1. All I get is a searching for devices.

The SKCM Creams on my AEKII are waiting to be desoldered :smiley:

1 Like

Is that the latest release? A few weeks ago it showed up in the repo, but wasn’t in the release.

Don’t know. I went to “Supported Keyboards” page on caniusevia.com site and saw OLKB Planck so checked the Firmware page on the site and downloaded from there. The only thing I can confirm is it’s working for rev4.

UPDATE: Oh, now I get what may have been referring to VIA when you mentioned version 1.3.1. Yes, I’m using VIA version 1.3.1 on macOS. Don’t know what version the Planck firmware is.

After a bit of a hiatus, reopened the keyboard workbench with a warm-up. I had a bunch of desoldered 3-pin MX Blacks from my 980M, so I oiled the springs (and left the switches otherwise unlubed and unfilmed) and dropped them into my only 3-pin board.

And capped it off with the Susuwatari set that came with the Alt. (It’s my favorite MT3 set despite my predilection for lighter-hued keycap sets.)

And I reconfirmed that I, indeed, am indifferent to 65%, and am firmly in the 60/HHKB camp at the moment.

7 Likes

Lovely combo! I came to the same realization recently after building my KBD67 Lite. I love the board but the layout isn’t for me. I remapped the pipe key to backspace and then sadly realized that it probably wasn’t meant to be.

1 Like

Paradoxically, I like normal backspace on ≥ TKL, and the shift/arrow cluster on a 65% is similar to the FC980, but for some reason, 65% just ain’t my jam. :man_shrugging:t2: haha.

1 Like

In theory, I’m building a KBO-5000. In practice, I’m triggering the part of me that goes nuts in a cluttered work environment.

Also, pro tip* for y’all out there. Boba U4 RGB’s don’t have a pass through for a through-hole LED. I mean I knew that before hand, but I cleverly forgot until after I’d soldered them all in.

* I am not a pro.

9 Likes

Indeed they don’t - though if you don’t mind to trade a little wobble-tolerance for compatibility, you can swap the tops for Outemu ones. Gazzew sells them as “clear slot tops” - 3DKeebs stocks them as well.

2 Likes

Naw it’s fine. I decided to tell folks that I intentionally only put back lighting on the main keys and escape. Because I like the look. Then I’ll convince myself and the circle will be complete.

2 Likes

Lubing and filming 8008 inks while watching Twitch. Wish I could see close up without glasses. Sucks to get older sometimes.

8 Likes

I second your sentiment. I totally resorted to using these as I can more clearly see what I’m doing when applying lube to the brush:

1 Like

Those look very handy!

I have my first pair of progressive lens glasses on the way - definitely feel you on the getting old sucks bit after that eye doctor visit!

2 Likes

Tangerines are quite striking. I have several hundred switches to lube and film for upcoming builds, so I’m experimenting with small batches per day instead of a hundred at a time. #sanity

11 Likes

Turns out, there’s always an opportunity to RTFM and learn :smiley:

After actually flashing the VIA firmware to the Planck first it now shows up in the VIA.app.

1 Like

Sorry about that. By “VIA now supports Planck”, I meant there are now VIA firmware for Planck. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was thinking about getting a Norbaforce, but decided to do a simple cable mod instead. Used that money to buy another uke.

6 Likes

Well color me interested. I’d love more details. I’ve wanted to do a removable cable mod for my 87u for a while now.

1 Like

Just using a Norbaforce breakout kit and a mini USB extension cable. Don’t have the proper tools to drill into the case and such but it works for now.

1 Like