What's on your workbench today?

Just a quick shot with the mobile with bad lighting.

Quite satisfied with the result so far…

7 Likes

No picture, since everything went so fast…

I do some final touch-ups with the same two-component paint, which I have in cans instead of spray cans.

I learned that polystyrene does not work well as a mixing beaker…

I saw some drops forming at the bottom of the beaker, and thankfully reacted quickly.
I managed to get the beaker over in a petri dish, where the bottom of the beaker just fell out… What a mess… :flushed:

Going for polypropylene now :wink:

1 Like

A bit depressing to have almost 250 solder joints down and it’s still not actually built. But hey, my Protozoa case gets here next week and this discipline65 is ready to go!

A great kit and quite a bit more fun than I expected. The only tedious part was the diodes.

12 Likes

Decided to put some weights in my little Alpha, which I’ve been enjoying a lot. Now it weighs one pound and immediately feels more premium. Super glad I did it.

16 Likes

Tire weights are great. I’ve put them in wherever I can.

2 Likes

Built my second Yui40 v2 today. Got the case back from cerakote, switches, film, lube, and springs all showed up as well. Decided on Boba U4T switches, which I filmed, lubed with 3203 as per recommendation as well as lubed the springs with Hoppe’s No9 oil. I swapped the 62g springs for Sprit 50g springs and do they feel and sound awesome. Installed KBDFans modular plate foam as well as cut out some case foam to finish off the internals.

On a side note…hoping this blue will match KAT Space Cadet when it eventually shows up.

14 Likes

Such a chonker. Love the blue here.

2 Likes

Thanks! Gonna get better pics tomorrow in natural light and post it up. The blue is pretty stunning…came out better than I hoped!

I love how this is the ultimate, “you thought this was a lightweight 3d printed keyboard? GUESS AGAIN!”

5 Likes

Love how well-placed those weights are. Really nice!

I’m finally getting closer to getting this one finished. Plenty of mistakes along the way.

Lily58 Pro.

11 Likes

I was bored and decided to o-ring and tape mod my FC980C.

10 Likes

16 Likes

:star_struck:

1 Like

I’m jealous!

1 Like

oh nuts, I didn’t know it was available already!

Comin’ atcha with minor mod Monday

Well. It’s probably still Monday somewhere…

Anyway. Extra leftover bits from kbdfans plate foam to stop the battery from sliding around in my KBD67L.

8 Likes

A very simple foam mod for my old Masterkeys Pro S. I was thinking of desoldering the blues, but the throughhole LEDs for this white backlit version is going to be even more tiring to desolder, which might not be worth the effort

4 Likes

Rebuilt my KBD8x with a FR4 half plate. I much prefer the feel to brass. Brass was interesting for a while after not having a board with one in some time, but once I went back to my rotation, it was really hard to come back to brass after being on boards with POM plates.

I decided to try a couple hot mods too!

A couple of notes from this build:

• I decided to use my existing foam between the PCB and plate. One thing I was not really considering was how much this would cut down on some of the flex. The KBD8x PCB has flex cuts, you can only get some much flex from this now that the foam prevents it from going further. Kind of a bummer but it ended up not really being an issue.
  • The KBD8x doesn’t have a lot of room for flex. I think @Rob27shred reminded my of this aspect, but putting a little bit of PE foam on the bottom of my case and doing burger mount with o-rings on the top mount (I probably loose about 1mm due to the ring) really takes a limited amount of space and makes it even smaller. I am happy with the amount of flex I got, but ultimately I was kind of thinking why did they offer half plates and flex cuts with the original KBD8x, cause there is really not enough room to use it…
  • The little bit of PE foam on the bottom seems to give me some of that “jelly” popping sound (yay for my wife ordering something that came with free foam!). It could be just a placebo, but I feel like I am getting something out of it. Might be a good alternative to using PE foam on top of the PCB and under the switches. Some one else with a better ear than me might need to try it though.

The more I type on it, the more I like it. Overall it was a good change. Next time I will have to invest in a desolder gun though.

10 Likes

Reworking my Realforce 91U (Deskeys Pink 40g, leftover #2 and #3 RGB rings for silencing) back to variable weight domes and #5 rings. Figured out a LOT about my Topre preferences using this board–but now it’s time to undo it all, yet again.

Currently pulling off all the thin silencing rings to put them away; trying to figure out which is which (RGB ring has a flat edge on one side while #2 does not)

I regret this already.

https://imgur.com/a/s2m767O

4 Likes