What's on your workbench today?

Then I guess we need to hang out

1 Like

Technically this was on my workbench a few weeks ago; I’ve posted a new build log to switchbox.studio alongside a minor style update.

This minimal 60% with smooth, strong, silent tactile switches is a perfect remedy to the rattly slabs of plastic provided to the IT department.

12 Likes

Poor man’s gasket mount Planck via rubber bumpons and double sided tape. Kinda jank, but it isn’t visible and the board sounds a million times better now.

8 Likes

On the workbench today - the beginnings of a very rough, draft of a faux-Extent with simplified construction. I can’t afford a real one and it is doubtful it will ever run again.

8 Likes

Already a beaut of a slab, where did you get that cut/what tools are you going to use to get it in working order? looks like a helluva project.

1 Like

Someone mentioned in a discord I am in that they teased a second round on Facebook :man_shrugging:

1 Like

For the prototype I am using primarily mild steel to keep the cost down. I painted it to prevent rust. That is a laser cut half inch thick top plate. I plan to tap holes in the bottom to attach a simple Delrin/POM tray mount to it with a channel for USB.

I don’t have a lot of time to work on it so it will be awhile.

If the prototype works out alright, I will do it right with stainless steel and bead blast it, etc.

By the way, the top piece alone weighs 2.6kg (5.7lbs) so I doubt anyone would want this it is too heavy to be practical. Just a fun project to work on over the summer.

3 Likes

I certainly hope that is true! Especially if it runs close to its original price (under $300). My guess is that it will run closer to $500 now that RAMA is famous. I might have to pass if Originative gets too greedy.

2 Likes

My workbench is a bit different today. As it is green Thursday it is my job at Work to cook the greenthrusday lunch. Traditionally it consists of spinach, potatoes and scrambled or sunny side up eggs (we eat scrambled where I am from)

5 Likes

Oh man. We need a cooking thread.
Looks delicious :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Maybe “What’s on your plate today?”

9 Likes

Transplanting switches from one failed project to another (older) failed project, because I think I have an idea about how to rescue it. My fingers already hurt from prying the switches free.

8 Likes

I’d be happy about that tbh :sweat_smile:

The adventure of these nt980 pcbs were on a different post but finished flashing and soldering them this morning.

10 Likes

Iirc there is one somewhere but I think it’s dead

1 Like

The megaman bosses are awesome.

1 Like

Got the case all prep sanded & washed off, then the painting party has begun! Got the first coat of primer on the inside of the case, next will be the outside. Then if I can get away with one coat of primer I’ll fine sand it & wash again, do 2 to 3 light coats of the paint I got (Smoke Grey color, very close to NCR grey), another fine sand & wash, then 2 to 3 light coats of a satin clear coat! I’m hoping that process will make for a very even & durable coating.

Edit: Outside of case primed now too, gonna let it cure overnight to see if I need to do any wet sanding of the primer before I start applying the paint coats. From the looks of it I shouldn’t have to sand, the primer went on very good & held perfectly thanks to scuff sanding & washing the case before I started the priming. Getting excited now that I can see how the paint job will cover! More updates to come tomorrow!

9 Likes

I have a couple of PCBs for keyboards (not designed by me) that use an Arduino Pro Micro, but I prefer to use my own software that I wrote in CircuitPython, so I came up with this dev board, which is pin-compatible with a pro micro, but uses a SAMD21 chip, which can run CircuitPython.

15 Likes

Got a DSP40 I soldered on some lubed Holy Panda switches, with sandwiched KBDFans modular foam. Getting this programed now in prep for picking up the case from Cerakoting tomorrow. Going with a full GMK Belafonte theme on this build.

8 Likes

Got a couple of replacement phone buttons, to see if I can guess the pins and figure out how to read them.

6 Likes