What's on your workbench today?

A Kyria that I’m getting to redo the diodes on because I didn’t pay attention to which side of the board I was soldering them in on.

5 Likes

Put together a small lube tester for a build client. He’s settled on Inks with Kailh long-pole linear stems, and now he’ll be choosing between:

• 205g0
3 Likes

So cool. Let me know what they end up choosing, I’m super curious. I love the ink housings.

2 Likes

I will!

I’ll also post the build when that comes around.

For me, the 205g0 is an easy favorite for sound - but I might actually prefer the feel of 3204 here.

As for that build… I’m currently exploring whether it would be easier to find a four-year-old, limited-run shell from the other hemisphere, or just have a similar one machined here. If the prototyping is reasonable, I’ll be doing an IC to see if anyone else wants one.

It’s a top-shell replacement for Costar TKLs; I’ve come to learn over the years that quite a few factory keyboards use a similar enough form-factor so as to have cross-compatibility with cases.

The exception tends to be that a single mounting stand-off is in this place or that place, but with the design of the shell that doesn’t matter, because it doesn’t use any screws and instead relies on a friction-fit aided by silicone pads.

I’ve tested the existing shell to work with:

• Filco MJ2 TKL
  • KBParadise V80
  • Turtle Beach Impact 500

But off the top of my head, I’m pretty sure it would also fit:

• CoolerMaster TKLs
  • WASD TKLs
  • Archon AK87
  • Anything else that uses Costar’s generic TKL template

As far as I can tell, they made two runs of this shell back in 2017, and that was it. For all the Filco+ cases out there, this is the only one I know of that retains the original typing angle (and feet), which is what made it attractive to me.

(After getting the generally available YMD case and having my first lesson in keyboard ergonomics, I realized there was a lot more to consider than just what the case is made of.)

My latest v̶i̶c̶t̶i̶m̶ customer was also really keen on that shell, and having found they aren’t exactly easy to find anymore, I figured, hey - why not at least get an estimate?

There’s a local shop that will auto-generate one based on a CAD file… now I just need to find my calipers and remember what I learned in drafting class…

2 Likes

Oh wow, I’m even more interested in the outcome now!

1 Like

Re: the lube tester with Creamy Inks: I dropped it off with him today, and after a few trial matches of Osu! he went for the 205g0, preferring the more muted sound.

He noted some of the thinner lubes had a more slick feel which he didn’t expect, but said all of them felt better than what he was used to (factory Cherry Reds) - so, all things considered, 205g0 had the most to offer for his use-case as a gaming streamer and his preferences as a user.

For all the builds I’ve done, putting that tester together was also the first time I’d done an apples-to-apples comparisons of those four lubes (205g0, 106, 3403, 3204), so it was interesting for me as well.

5 Likes

Today’s “workbench” was my keeb, working on a new update for switchbox.studio. Lots of little things (like an over-due favicon, swatting a few typos), as well as a build log for this keyboard:

IMG_3082

A modified KBParadise V80; new switches, stabs, caps, top shell, and cable - essentially an entire keyboard made of spare parts. This is no high-end custom, but a commercial pre-built elevated to a place higher than where it began - and a significant upgrade from a two-decades-old rattly dome board for the new owner.

This is one I’ve been meaning to post for a while; I’ve got lots more fun stuff I’m cooking up with the help of a few friends. Stay tuned!

9 Likes

I just see the keys, but otherwise, fantastic build. Definitely enjoyed the build log.

Har! :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks! I have fun tinkering with factory boards, and seeing how much I can squeeze out of cheap and/or “meh” ones.

Definitely the weak point of the keeb, having laser-etched legends. If he ends up using it enough that they start to show some wear, I’ll replace them with some dyesub PBT, something like one of the many 9009 clones out there.

I was just making a lousy camouflage joke.

5 Likes

That’s amazing how you put a clicky switch for the caps lock. The sound gives this kind of toggle feedback so you know something’s different until you press it again. Neat.

7 Likes

[ your joke ]

[my head]

6 Likes

Sort of a, uh, meta post for this topic but today my workbench is on my workbench. Which is to say: I’ve got a workbench now!

Still gotta build the drawer that goes under it for holding tools and such

(major shoutouts to my partner who not only sourced the tip-out bins and workbench but also helped build the whole thing)

19 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

Oh my! Are they in a specific order and what’s your favorite stock linear to date?

3 Likes

The organization of this is pretty in flux, but as it stands here’s the (rough) organization (which relies on some assumptions about the manufacturer of certain switches, most specifically about Tecsee being the manu for BSUN/YOK and potentially for INVYR pandas):

In terms of stock linear: hmm, hard to say. I’m not the biggest fan of linears (as, uh, might be fairly obvious from this graphic) but I actually really enjoy the feeling and sound of Marshmallows. The progressive spring makes 'em work for me in a way other stock linears don’t seem to gel with my brain/fingers.

15 Likes

This is absurd, I love it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I freaking appreciate the graphic! This is how my mind sees the world.

That’s what poked my curiosity; What linear do non-linear people like most?

Huge :100: on Marshmallows, been waiting for those to restock for a hot minute now. Do you make any distinction between JWK and Durock?

2 Likes

Not really, organizationally, though I do have Everglide set aside as they seem to have fairly different offerings.

1 Like

I am so jealous. Great work.

1 Like

Not a fan of linears, but at the last meetup I went too, creams were nice. I think the leather-y feeling that people talk about caused a stickiness that I liked. Similar to a tactile. I need to try them again.

1 Like